Riverrat 06-Dec-17
Riverrat 06-Dec-17
Riverrat 06-Dec-17
No Mercy 07-Dec-17
T.O 18-Dec-17
Scoot 30-Dec-17
Boone 28-Nov-18
28-Nov-17
Fellows , I visit every year from South Carolina. In 2018 my buddy and I will apply for the either species archery tag and buy a whitetail tag if we don't draw. We are hunting in the south central part of the state with close to 5 thousand private acres we have permission to hunt over the last7 years. My question is any ideas on where to start ?? Hardly any trees so I'm assuming ground blind? We see many deer every year but it doesn't seem to have any pattern to it. Usually just running over the next hill. My local guy said we would be better off further west. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

30-Nov-17
Depends on when you plan to hunt I guess. First off-locate the food sources. They will tell you the whole story. Cattail sloughs provide a lot of bedding area for big bucks in that area of the state. Ground blind or spot and stalk are really your best options. If you're hunting pre-rut or rut-use a decoy and rattle.

03-Dec-17
Thanks for the help my friend. Not a lot of people on the site ? In South Carolina not 1 continuous 5 acre track of land isn't hunted. The people and the peace is why we keep coming back to Dakota. Thanks again

04-Dec-17
No problem-good luck!

The people and the peace is why I still live here-it sure isn't the Winters!

06-Dec-17

06-Dec-17
I hate to tell you that's it 78 degrees here today. Thanks again

06-Dec-17
No mercy , we are going to try the 2nd week in October. How does that line up with the rut up that way. Almost over here by then.

07-Dec-17
That's about when pre-rut starts. Halloween is prime for pre-rut. First or second week in November is high time for chasing, but it's also gun season normally.

18-Dec-17
Try hunting the late season when it gets cold find the food and you will find the deer, we are leaving on the 24th for a week hunt.

30-Dec-17
Good advice above. Any chance you could hold your trip up off for a 2-3 weeks and still have access to the land? If yes, I believe you'd have a much higher likelihood of a good trip in terms of the numbers you'd expect to see and likelihood of a good buck. If that's not in the cards, good bucks are killed every year during the time of your trip, but I believe it's a little tougher then. Good luck regardless!

28-Nov-18
Well how did it go?

• Sitka Gear