FTWAC 02-Dec-17
ground hunter 09-Dec-17
Pete-pec 09-Dec-17
Bloodtrail 09-Dec-17
ground hunter 09-Dec-17
28-Nov-17

Missouribreaks's Link

28-Nov-17
Wow, the kill was down by 8/10's of a percent. Undoubtedly due to all the new lawbreakers not calling in their deer.

28-Nov-17
Yeah....didn't the biologists (Pritzl) say that the herd is up, especially in the north, because of the mild winters and limited antlerless harvest the last few years? I'd also be interested in seeing how many unique DNR customer numbers registered deer. I'm suspect that there is and has been some "hunters" that shoot multiple deer each year. In other words, 190K deer taken by 540K hunters does NOT mean that 35% of all hunters got a deer.

Channel 5 news out of Green Bay had a news crew at a butcher shop in Crivitz on opening day. They had film of the back of a small SUV that had a plug in hitch type carrier. Piled and bungee corded on the carrier were a spike, an adult doe, and two fawns, piled on top of one another. They interview the two guys who got them. One guy said yes it was a lot fun today. We've hunted up here for years and just haven't been seeing much. But today it was like there were a lot of deer running so I got a few of them. Made me want to puke.

28-Nov-17
"Wow, the kill was down by 8/10's of a percent."

Well looking at the big picture that is something. Wasn't last year one of the lowest kills in many years? So anything less than that is not good at all. On a plus side perhaps it will continue to weed out the less serious hunters.

28-Nov-17

Missouribreaks's Link

28-Nov-17
Rut, yes it is an improvement. My comment was tongue-in-cheek in reference to those who have been claiming that so many deer were going unreported and that was why the preliminary kill numbers were down.

28-Nov-17
A slight decrease in harvest from last year does surprise me. The data looks like many of the northern counties that were most affected from the population crash were indeed up from last year; even Iron and Forest Co. That is a good sign for a rebuilding (yet fragile) herd in much of the north.

Then there is Bayfield Co...The number of antlerless killed in Bayfield Co. is completely ridiculous. Thanks CDAC. The antlerless harvest in 2016 was 268 and this year 1,587 were killed. This is an area that was ground zero for extremely severe winters 2012-14 and way too many wolves on the landscape. I'm sure someone will pipe in that the "ag" areas of the county were way over goal. Like Bayfield has any significant ag regions.

Of all counties that probably should not have gone down in harvest numbers is Waupaca Co. with their 80 deer per sq. mile. Surprised to see the kill down from last year. They were threatened with a doe only season a year or two back?!

28-Nov-17
I hunted Bayfield County Thursday through Saturday and never saw a deer... Still pretty slim pickins up there. The fact that they're killing antlerless up there is totally ridiculous and irresponsible.

28-Nov-17
Cheesehead +1 The fact that some were up were the ridiculous amount of doe tags issued. Here in Washburn the kill was down for does compared to last year and last year was terrible.

28-Nov-17
Mike, They have to get the corn pilers back up there somehow to fill up the bars. I used to do a ton of hunting around Drummond, Iron River, and Port Wing. Even a bit around Barnes, but too many people there for me. The writing was on the wall the last season I hunted up there, that was 2005. I love the big woods and miss it. But I also won't hunt there again until the DNR removes their head from their rectum.

28-Nov-17
that's why I asked about doe numbers shot for Bayfield county,,,,, like the song said "what are they thinking"

28-Nov-17
Bayfield county harvest kind of shoots the "wolves have eaten all the deer " philosophy down the drain. If the population is so bad up there, why would hunters kill almost 1600 anterless? Looks to me like theres a different predator problem up there.......

28-Nov-17
How high would the numbers be if those that did not register their deer actually had called in and registered? HMMM.

28-Nov-17
Capt, How does last years harvest determine how many lawbreakers we had this year that didnt register deer? So as long as the harvest was the same as last year, that means nobody is cheating???? Give me a break.......

28-Nov-17
From today's paper. Hunters registered 195,738 deer for the 2017 Wisconsin gun deer season, down about 1% from 2016 and the second-lowest total in 35 years, according to preliminary data released Tuesday by the Department of Natural Resources.

Notably, hunter participation also was down. The agency sold 588,387 gun licenses, a drop of 10,420 from 2016 and the lowest in 41 years.

It was just the second time since 1976 that fewer than 600,000 licenses were sold for the nine-day season.

Seven non-fatal shooting incidents were reported during the gun hunt, which ran Nov. 18 -26.

The harvest included 98,364 bucks and 97,374 antlerless deer. The buck total was up less than 1% compared to 2016, while the antlerless kill was down by 2%.

All regions reported reduced kills this year except the northern forest, which showed an increase (28%) for the second consecutive year.

Marathon County had the most deer registered (7,317), with Shawano (6,734) and Waupaca (6,377) rounding out the top three counties.

In the last 35 years, the only year with a lower nine-day gun kill was 2014, according to DNR officials. The harvest that year was 192,111.

The 2017 deer kill was down despite a statewide herd that was likely larger this year, according to DNR preseason forecasts.

The northern Wisconsin deer herd, especially, has benefitted from three consecutive mild winters and several years of “buck only” regulations intended to allow more female deer to live and reproduce.

Weather on opening day, which typically accounts for the largest single-day kill, featured breezy conditions in most of the state and precipitation in the southern half.

However, temperatures were above average for most of the season and should have allowed hunters to spend ample time afield.

Like Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Sports on Facebook for the latest Wisconsin sports updates right in your news feed. Visit JS Sports on Facebook Further, the timing of the season was among the earliest allowable under the traditional format and overlapped with a portion of the rut, or the deer mating period, when the animals are more active than normal during daylight.

Several factors are likely contributing to the trend toward lower gun deer license sales and smaller deer kills during the nine-day season

Registration reaps rewards Register now and get special deals from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel & the USA TODAY NETWORK, invites to events and sweepstakes, and more. Sign Up More hunters are participating in the crossbow season, for example, and may not choose to also buy a gun license. The number of licenses allowing crossbow use have gone from 113,506 in 2014, the first year all hunters were allowed to use the equipment in Wisconsin during the bow season, to 131,293 in 2015 and 149,348 in 2016.

A general decline in hunting, both in Wisconsin and across the nation, has been predicted by sociologists for more than a decade as Americans lead more sedentary lifestyles and spend less time in traditional outdoors activities.

The state Legislature has relaxed deer hunting regulations in recent years, too. Deer no longer need to be tagged or taken to a physical registration station.

Especially on private land, it is now easier than ever in Wisconsin for someone to shoot a deer and not register it.

The nine-day gun season proved to be among the safest on record. Among the seven non-fatal shooting injuries, five were self-inflicted. And none involved a young hunter participating under the state’s new mentored hunting law. A law signed Nov. 11 by Gov. Scott Walker allowed hunters of any age to participate in this year’s gun hunt.

The agency reported license sales to 10 hunters under the age of 1 and 52 to hunters age 5 and under. In all, 1,722 mentored gun hunting licenses were purchased for those 9 and under. It’s not known how many participated in the hunt.

The license sales to the newly eligible youth hunters still fell far short of offsetting the overall decline.

The muzzleloader hunt runs through Dec. 6, a statewide antlerless deer hunt is scheduled Dec. 7-10 and the bow deer seasons run through Jan. 7 in most of the state.

28-Nov-17
Sorry Retro, I don't speak Crayola.

28-Nov-17
we saw about the same or a little more in the Bayfield big woods. The wolf scat was pretty old where we usually see fresh scat and lots of tracks if not critters themselves. The wolves are where the deer are. The numbers are up in the lakes and ag areas. A member of our group ran into a guy in a remote camp and they shot 4 does, absolutely amazing... I can't believe the logic

28-Nov-17
"The state Legislature has relaxed deer hunting regulations in recent years, too. Deer no longer need to be tagged or taken to a physical registration station. Especially on private land, it is now easier than ever in Wisconsin for someone to shoot a deer and not register it."

LOL, that makes no sense as if private land hunters are going to not register deer when their pockets are probably stuffed with tags that the DNR keeps irresponsibly passing out. The incentive to not register a deer would be what, especially since it is so simple these days?

It's crap like this that continues strengthening the divide between hunters/landowners and the DNR, sometimes ya gotta wonder if that's what the DNR wants since they do it so well and have been doing it quite a bit in recent years.

28-Nov-17
A decline in hunter participation and yet double digit growth again in crossbow use. Bowhunting, and bowhunter numbers (as defined by the Pope and Young Club) are in a very serious decline, down the shitter really. Good bye P&Y club, your audience is rapidly drying up, and so will your VALID entries.

28-Nov-17
In the past, poachers were figured into the system. But the new world of management is saying no one would violate so the unregistered deer just don't exist.

28-Nov-17
R i know of many people who did not call in their kills. They feel why bother? get the deer home cut it up, keep the tag, keep hunting. to think this isn't happening on a large scale is delusional. I don't think any one has a "pocketful" of buck tags :)

28-Nov-17
Wanting to put some meat in the freezer, I was lucky enough to get a buck on opening day. After that my thoughts changed to, "darn, now my buck tag is gone and I won't be able to shoot a wall hanger if i'm lucky enough to cross paths with one". Since a tag is not needed, and no one knows whether or not one actually registers a harvested deer, it would have been effortless, and hard to resist, not registering a buck in order to preserve the tag and the chance at getting another one.

I did register my deer, but given the lack of deterent, there's no way that others haven't been compelled to "save" their buck tag.

28-Nov-17
Smokey, what information or parameters previously were used to factor poaching into the equation? And, why are they no longer being accounted for? I've never before heard of any type of study used in this regard so very curious to know more.

29-Nov-17
Removing the mandatory registration where hunters actually presented a deer has invalidated the accuracy of the statistics used to generate herd numbers. How can accurate deer numbers be announced when call-in data is questioned? Sad.

If anything, people who don't register deer under represent the true harvest and which gives justification to issue even more antlerless tags next year!

Will Bayfield County get more antlerless tags next year...I hope not, some areas of the county have so little deer already, even the wolves go hungry!

29-Nov-17
I think again, "what does the deer management team of the DNR want, and are they getting better data with this system"..... I remember Wallfenfang, (sorry if I mispelled his name ) said last year, the old system, was not that good,,,, so I do not know.....

the call in, is convenient and easy, and guys I talk too all like it,,,,, it needs to be tweaked for gun season, allowing the registration to go in up to and including the last day,,,,, there are still camps that stay off the grid the whole week

29-Nov-17
Treefarm+1

29-Nov-17
I honestly feel things are more accurate with call in registration. Last gun season I remember the news saying if you didn't register to still do so even if late no fines would be issued. As said earlier giving until day after season would be practical. As far as more doe tags being issued because some where not registered.... I think the opposite effect? Guessing if the dnr had a large doe kill in a county they'd assume there is plenty of deer in said area and continue to issue a large number of tags. While a area with few registered deer would get fewer doe tags the next season?

29-Nov-17
SAK used 15% for poaching, car kills, etc. Not sure where the research was done but I have read studies showing variation in poaching estimates. SAK started to show problems with hunter bias and needed something for improved data. But this system now is not the answer.

29-Nov-17
Northbound, As i recall, historically when the deer harvest was down the following DNR statement was always that hunters did not harvest enough of the overpopulated deer population, and that more would need to be done next year. Whereas if when the harvest numbers were high, as you reference, the statement was always

29-Nov-17
Smokey, I doubt the biologists now ignore poaching as having zero impact on the herd. And, if they do, I'd guess they don't feel it is as significant as some people here think it is. With DMU's now being defined by counties, deer/vehicle incidents are much more accurate and valuable. Their value lies in the fact that vehicles are indiscriminate killers, they do not target buck's, does or any particular age class. It presents a better representation of the true structure of the herd.

29-Nov-17
An estimated 1.34 million deer were left in Wisconsin after the 2016 hunting season, up 14 percent statewide, according to the Wisconsin DNR.

Post-hunting season deer population ranged from 3 to 58 whitetails per square mile of land area, and the average statewide was 25, the DNR said. The Wisconsin DNR was looking for a banner year in 2017, so what really happened? Over population estimates? Weather? Call in registrations? Less hunters? We had the earliest start possible for gun season with the rut still partially in full swing. I'm waiting for the dept to tell us what excuse it'll be this year.

29-Nov-17
Hunted hard all 9 days forested county area of Bayfield County. Saw 4 fawns. Never heard a single close shot the entire season. I’ve been hunted there for over 20 years.

29-Nov-17
Better start selling hunting licenses to human embryos.

29-Nov-17
Thanks Smokey for the 15% fudge factor used with old system.

I wonder what they're using now?? How do they go about setting that number. Do they just use what Michigan or other phone-in states use? It's so arbitrary. How would you even set up a study to see what percent of hunters will not comply with registration?

I agree with many here that the traditional registration system held hunters to a higher level of accountability. I really miss the days of going to the registration stations to see what was coming in. Some here claim that the cheaters of the old system will be proportional with the new system. Unfortunately, I believe human nature with many is such that a much greater levels of cheating/noncompliance will result with phone ins.

I also think that the animosity that so many hunters have with the DNR, or CDAC, factors in as well. They don't trust the DNR or the members on their county's CDAC, so why should they comply with their new registration system kind of mentality. Bayfield County's CDAC voted this fall (impacts the next 3 years) to reduce the herd despite public polling showed 3 to 1 favored no reduction, which built even more animosity and distrust in how the deer herd is managed.

Yes, it will be interesting to hear the DNR's take on why the harvest was so low despite most variables being in favor of a big upswing in the 2017 harvest.

29-Nov-17
I'm surprised my county had more buck kills this year. Our area was a ghost town for hunters. Campers were vacant in the usual spots. Heard very few shots on opening day also and Sunday was even worse. Most guys slept in.

29-Nov-17
retro,

If you think that wolves have not seriously impacted the deer population in Bayfield County you obviously haven't spent much time there this year or in the past 20 years.

Even though deer numbers are way down it wouldn't be that difficult to shoot that many does if the corn pilers shoot the one doe they see. In years past they would probably see and pass several does waiting for the big buck but now they might only see one or two and shoot one of them. Les and I are very familiar with the areas we hunt up there and we covered a lot of ground. Les saw 4 deer and he could have easily shot a doe. That does not mean that there are a lot of deer or that the wolves are not killing a lot of them. The closest thing to a live deer that I found was the crunched up fragments of a deer's leg bone with red marrow still in it.

There is no excess of deer in northern Bayfield County. The herd is very slowly recovering from severe winters but the wolves are seriously slowing that recovery. With the number of deer that the wolves kill, there is absolutely no reason for hunters to kill antlerless deer. There is no surplus to harvest, period!

29-Nov-17
I had the best season of my life so far and never pulled the trigger. Gun or bow.

I have passed up more shots than ever before. Could it be that hunters like many here and my self are being more selective on what they shoot?

29-Nov-17
Good for you DT. The individual hunter should do what's right for the area. Many do not see the big picture and do not want to think long term. After all, we are becoming an instant gratification society we are constantly told.

I think a problem in the northwoods is that hunter/hunters that are used to crowded buck poles and coming back with a trailer full of deer during the 90's and early 2000's are having problems showing restraint now that the population has crashed. I'm not saying that it's illegal or they can't to that, but it is short sighted and not in the best interest of the herd. They are just doing what they are allowed to do because of CDAC's decision to begin liberally harvesting does against the wishes of the majority of the sportsmen/women who enjoy the area.

Adding on to Mike's point concerning deer population in Bayfield Co: With back to back mild winters in the north and no appreciable harvest of does in 2015 and 2016, don't you think the woods would be full of deer given how fast a whitetail population can rebound? But it's not. It isn't too difficult to figure out...predators.

To deny the wolf impact is irresponsible. Instead of telling those of us who have a lot of time and experience in the north and feel a connection with the area that we are wrong about the level of predation, why don't you just tell us that you want deer densities of 10 or less per sq. mile for whatever your agenda is. Those that really know the area know this habitat can support a few more deer.

I think most of the crowd here that has a stake in the northwoods is not anti wolf, but want them managed. We were sold a lie in the beginning of a goal of 300 or so wolves in the state. I understand the lawsuits and the legality issues, but even when there was a small window to manage the wolf with a hunting season, the DNR totally gave in to the friends of the wolves and punched the deer hunter in the gut with quotas that made no sense.

We can do better and deserve better in our experiences in the woods and our representation at the government level.

29-Nov-17
I agree with Cheesehead Mike, had a camp off the Delta Drummond area from 76 - 94,,,,,, shot some great deer there,,,, but then forest mgt was good, and my first sign of problems was when the new owner of the country store in Drummond, decided to sell corn and start guiding........ ha ha ha

that area is devastated by wolves. I now see good bucks in the western UP, less people, big area, but the deer have less pressure,,,,, their are wolves, but nothing like NW Wis....

No one in their right mind, would have doe tags for that county

29-Nov-17
Cheesehead - 100% right on! Here in Washburn county I'm afraid they'll up antlerless tags next year because there were 278 less antlerless deer killed than last year and last year was terrible. I have absolutely no faith in our DNR or CDAC anymore, nada, not at all, none!

29-Nov-17
It would seem that the Bayfield Co. CDAC committee was stacked on one side of the issue. I can predict that members with interests in timber/forestry, transportation, biologist/wardens, insurance would all side on decreasing population, while members representing hunting organizations and tourism (hopefully) would come down on the other side of the issue and propose population increase.

Seems we're outnumbered and that's exactly how the vote went in October. And CDAC's recommendations to reduce herd will be reviewed and approved in December by the Natural Resources Board for the next three years! Amazing...

29-Nov-17
Well said mike and musky buck! WELL SAID!!!

29-Nov-17
Cheesehead Mike, I dont understand why that many hunters would be killing does if the situation is that bad? Thats a lot of does........ Why are they doing it? Just because they can????

29-Nov-17
Well said Muskybuck. Unfortunately that is how the CDAC's work in every county. I have said from the start that CDAC is just another blowing smoke move by the DNR.

29-Nov-17
Anybody buy a doe tag and intentionally eat it?

Like always the herd has high/low areas.. Not every acre is created equal. Private land tends to hold more deer and many land owners complain about too many deer but wont allow others to hunt them or hubt themselves.

29-Nov-17
Rut-That is true about CDAC, but at least the majority of the other northern forest counties had the sense to recommend maintaining the current deer population, not decrease it like Bayfield.

GJG- the same reason why a couple guys can see no problem taking a couple of 50" Muskie out of a fragile esox ecosystem and then bitch about no big Muskie in the lake a couple years later.

29-Nov-17
Rut-That is true about CDAC, but at least the majority of the other northern forest counties had the sense to recommend maintaining the current deer population, not decrease it like Bayfield.

GJG- the same reason why a couple guys can see no problem taking a couple of 50" Muskie out of a fragile esox ecosystem and then bitch about no big Muskie in the lake a couple years later.

29-Nov-17
I have said from the start that CDAC is just another blowing smoke move by the DNR."

Rut, do you attend the CDAC meetings? Do you encourage your fellow hunters to attend? Hunters have been given a great tool but like any other tool, left in the box, it does nothing.

29-Nov-17
GoJakes - I did. I had does walking by and a tag to take one but never did on purpose. Private land in Langlade. Three does had been taken (crossbows) already.

29-Nov-17
I seem to remember the days when hunters almost never got involved and at that time hunting didn't suck as it does now for so many people. Apparently somewhere along the way management of deer and deer hunting has turned into the DNR taking every ounce of fun out of it that they can by reducing populations to yawnfest levels , hunters not happy about it, and what's even worse is some hunters laying the blame on other hunters for not getting involved. I agree with the people that say hunters are their own worst enemy.

29-Nov-17
"R i know of many people who did not call in their kills. They feel why bother? get the deer home cut it up, keep the tag, keep hunting. to think this isn't happening on a large scale is delusional. I don't think any one has a "pocketful" of buck tags :)"

You and I apparently hang with very different crowds. ;-)

29-Nov-17
"I agree with the people that say hunters are their own worst enemy." I agree also. One of the most egregious things they do is allow others to form and influence rules pertaining to their sport, then complain about it later.

29-Nov-17
"Rut, do you attend the CDAC meetings? Do you encourage your fellow hunters to attend?"

Yes and yes. But after seeing the CDAC's refusal to take the info from landowners and hunters seriously. I doubt I will again. The agenda and outcome is pre-set.

29-Nov-17
"I agree also. One of the most egregious things they do is allow others to form and influence rules pertaining to their sport, then complain about it later."

Your point being that people shouldn't have the right to voice their opinion about a subject unless they invested (or wasted however you look at it) their time at meetings that history has shown are pointless anyway?

30-Nov-17
You are laughable. Your investment in complaining here is somehow better time spent? You are the problem, just not bright enough to realize it. Oh, and that you are aware of others who break the law but you say nothing makes you even more of the problem. You are a great example of a law breaker who gives honest hunters a bad name. That, or you a liar and do not know people who intentionally break the law. Which is it??

30-Nov-17
Rut - "Rut, do you attend the CDAC meetings? Do you encourage your fellow hunters to attend?" Yes and yes. But after seeing the CDAC's refusal to take the info from landowners and hunters seriously. I doubt I will again. The agenda and outcome is pre-set.

I feel exactly the same. I've gone to the meetings, have gotten friends to go, I've done their surveys (which fell on deaf ears), gave my take as did others, but always to no avail. I too am probably done going to meetings.

30-Nov-17
"I feel exactly the same." Hoot & Rut, I fully understand your thoughts on this because they pretty much echo my own. However, I realize that if I give up and simply allow others to shape and frame my hunting, I will have absolutely zero chance of getting any part of what I may want.

30-Nov-17
So people are too lazy to call/log in to register their deer, but they had no problem loading up deer and driving miles to get it registered? I don't really buy that. If an individual is breaking the law now chances are good they were breaking it last year and many years before that too.

My gun season was pretty good, I shot a very big bodied deer, unfortunately for me his rack was a little smaller when I found him than I thought. Oh well. I'm excited to get some cameras up and see what all made it for next year.

30-Nov-17
Good point slimm. Registration is still mandatory and punishable with substantial fines. This law was not the seed that grew a new crop of poachers.

30-Nov-17
When you drove somewhere to register, you got a metal (meat) tag. You didn't want to get caught without one. Now, you need nothing.

30-Nov-17
Live2, I believe that to be true, but do you think a little metal tag was keeping people from processing deer right away and throwing it in the freezer anyways? How many guys were getting their freezer checked having to provide proof of the metal tag?

30-Nov-17
Getting back to Waupaca county, 900 acres collectively between neighbors. We shot 2 4pts (youth hunters) a big 140" 8, an adult doe and a wounded nub buck that came in from public land across the road. About 20 hunters. I didn't hear 30 shots in 40 hours of hunting, where most years I would hear 100 by 10:00. Most of the guys saw 3-6 smaller bucks through the course of the season as they were still out cruising. I personally didn't see an adult doe.

30-Nov-17
And if you where to get Freezer checked now days, they can easily look up your registration records. I see no way a little metal tag changes anything. Only and only point of in person registration that I can think of is if eab still existed (no I'm not in favor of it). I could imagine guys registering a imaginary deer under that circumstance.

30-Nov-17
The new system is easier to cheat. To say otherwise is to ignore human nature. The easier a system is to cheat; the more will attempt to cheat. Think shoplifting, welfare entitlements, etc...

The majority of us do the right thing, however. Thank God.

30-Nov-17
How is it easier to cheat? Be specific.

In 2010: Shoot deer and take to shed. Skin and put in freezer, no registration. In 2017: Shoot deer and take to shed. Skin and put in freezer, no registration.

Looks the same to me.

30-Nov-17
How can it be easier to cheat?

New way: Shoot a deer, call it in, get registration number, put deer in truck, process, done. If you get checked, provide registration number.

Old way: Shoot a deer, register in person, put deer in truck, process, done. If you get checked, show registration tag.

If you are a poacher

New way: shoot deer, put in garage or barn, cut up, hope to not get caught. Old way: shoot deer, put in garage or barn, cut up, hope to not get caught.

edit: sorry slimm, we posted at about the same time.

02-Dec-17
"You are laughable. Your investment in complaining here is somehow better time spent? You are the problem, just not bright enough to realize it. Oh, and that you are aware of others who break the law but you say nothing makes you even more of the problem. You are a great example of a law breaker who gives honest hunters a bad name. That, or you a liar and do not know people who intentionally break the law. Which is it??"

CaptMike why all the name calling? I'm not a liar or a law breaker and I don't appreciate being called either. I never said that I'm aware of others that break the law as you stated, I did quote someone else that said they know of people breaking the law but that was clearly in quotations in my post. Possibly if you slow down as you're reading and responding to these threads you won't falsely accuse people of saying things they never said, and as you're calling people names they'll be directed at the correct people.

02-Dec-17
Anyone who thinks that these new laws DONT make it easier to cheat just isn't seeing things clearly. Slimm21, here is your example, back in the day after you shot your deer you had to "by law" put a tag on that deer, you were then required "by law" to take that deer to a registration station and the info on that tag was confirmed, once confirmed you then received a metal tag showing that your deer was registered, your deer was then put into the back of you truck and the tailgate was left open "by law", you took your deer home, cut and wrapped it for the freezer. NOW, its opening day you shoot a deer put it in truck close the tailgate so the deer cannot be seen, go home cut it up, wrap it put it in the freezer and done, but wait, 7 days later the game warden stops by to check your freezer, finds this deer and asks you for the confirmation number for this deer, you say I haven't called it in yet as it was just shot yesterday, its that much easier.

02-Dec-17
In all seriousness, do wardens randomly stop at people's houses to check freezers?

02-Dec-17
Sorry for the double

02-Dec-17
Slimm and Capt...2010 "Old way: shoot deer, put in garage or barn, cut up, hope to not get caught."

most people punched their tags, you guys conveniently left this part out. if you punched your tag, got it home and decided to not register it then what did you do? you had to buy a replacement tag claiming you lost it?...which raised a red flag to wardens if you didn't know ... new way...much easier and cheaper to poach.

02-Dec-17
Reggiezpop, NOPE, wish their would be more of that, been deer hunting for 40 years and have never heard of a warden stopping by to see your freezer and check the tag or conformation number, unless of course you have been convicted of poaching.

09-Dec-17
My friends took me out of the house today, we stopped at a couple of game farms, shoot the breeze, see what is going on, and talk deer hunting,,,,,,, Most hunters were not happy, with no tags on deer, and in no way, now believe, that the DNR has credible data..... they all knew guys who did not call in deer.......

just pointing out a observation, from people I do not even know in general,,

09-Dec-17
Reggie, for one, they don't check freezers unless there was a tip. Secondly, they need your permission if they ask. Otherwise, they need a warrant. Honest people remain honest. For violators, it simply made it easier.

Ground hunter, these guys who know guys who didn't call in deer, have a responsibility to report violations. If they choose to keep quiet, are almost as guilty. The guys not calling them in, were already violators. This rule did not create more violators. It simply brought out the ugliness of humans who cheat. I must admit, I started skinning my deer this year, and realized I didn't call it in. I stopped, and for 5 hours the online, and call in service was down. I proceeded to butchering my deer, and when the service was available, I then called it in. This rule does not make honest people dishonest. It may have some forgetfulness, but I believe most people are calling in their deer. I just believe in many places, there are less of them. Especially comparing them to the hay days when numbers were clearly over their carrying capacity.

09-Dec-17
Some good stuff above -

Let me point out we have a reasonable amount of time to register our deer...but guess what? Some people prove that they are as human as the next and forget...NOW WHAT?

Register it anyway - nobody is going to get bent out of shape...no warden will appear at your door!

It's a new system and the WDNR and it's employee's realize this and would rather gather accurate information instead of going on a man hunt to cite you!

Please register your deer!

As far as "freezer checks" Pete is right, they do not go door to door and ask to look in freezers. If they need to check, they will ask for your permission to do so. If not, a warrant to search would be necessary.

Remember, that a LEO does not "always" need a warrant to search areas of interest. All he/she has to do many times, is simply ask and surprisingly many folks permit them to do so.

09-Dec-17
I do agree, but you know human nature, I worked 32 years as a street cop, believe me I know something about human nature,,,,, some are violators, some are just lazy, some just do not care,,,,, its human nature,,,,,

I like the call in system myself,,,,,, the only tweak they need to do, is change it for the gun season, giving you to the end of season, like it use to be....

I believe though, that a tag, should go on a deer..... One guy told me today, he went to a local processor, and told him, he forgot his tag ID number,,,, was told not to worry about it, things are so screwed up, they just gave him a number for his deer anyway.....

I do my own deer, so I do not know what a processor does,,,,,, with cdac and no tags, I think it is all a mess, if you want good hard data,,,, like my friend said, hey I am an accountant, no way would I run my tax business, like this deer program is run, if you wanted any accuracy and credibility

• Sitka Gear