northbound 29-Nov-17
xtroutx 29-Nov-17
northbound 29-Nov-17
CaptMike 29-Nov-17
Bloodtrail 29-Nov-17
RutnStrut 30-Nov-17
Crusader dad 01-Dec-17
29-Nov-17
How long did you hunt before you made the decisions ? Following behind someone else seems to get old in short time . Even walking along side of someone / or having an = say in decisions regarding the hunt gets old at some point . Considering our “New Reality” , its likely that a very young shooter of a deer will have many years of following around behind someone before they start to make the hunt their own . It could be 10 + years in some cases . I don’t think they will last . They will get bored. Sure you can give them little things to make decisions on , that is not the same as truly being on your own . I never enjoyed following . My hunts are always more enjoyable when I’m deciding . In my mind its another reason not to start them off by shooting a deer . I try to look at from the other side It just doesn’t add up .

29-Nov-17
Sounds like another "Toddlers - can now tote firearms" thread....

Children are all different - some like to follow and will only follow the rest of their lives. Some like to lead and will be leaders in their private life and as adults. Kids do not fit in cookie cutter molds - they are as different as they all LOOK different.

If there was one simple answer to all of this and especially "Hunter Retention/Recruitment" that would be so nice - BUT, isn't going to happen that easy!!

29-Nov-17
I also believe waiting your turn will be better for recruiting new hunters. You need to pour a solid foundation first, then build from there. That all takes time and is a learning process. Starting to early will lead to unrealistic expectations or a been there done that attitude.

29-Nov-17
When I got my drivers license at 16 I started making my own decisions. I still hunted with my dad and his buddies, we were a group. I had friends who also hunted, so we of course did our own thing at times.

29-Nov-17
I don't understand this, first you need to know your own kids. One of mine hunts with me at 8 (minus the gun) because he loves the outdoors not necessarily the hunt, I indulge in that, kill an animal or not, time is short and precious, anytime my kids want to spend with me in their youth or adulthood I cherish especially when there is any way to connect it to things we enjoy. I can always buy food, I can never buy a memory.

29-Nov-17
Great post cheif. My kids are older but grandkids are just getting started. Its an honnor to spend time with all of them.

29-Nov-17
4 threads about not having a age requirement for hunting.. just looked to see if other states have issues with babies hunting. Haven't noticed any yet but it seems like accidents happen most to males under 6' tall, maybe we should get serious about safety and have a min height to hunt just like the rides at a amusement park. Taller hunters would be more visible. Taller hunters would be less likely to drown in deep puddles. Taller hunters don't need so many tree pegs. Taller hunters have safer shots as they shoot from higher elevations while still hunting. Taller hunters generally have longer arms to cut a windpipe from deer while field dressing. Taller Hunters typically have a longer stride to avoid excessive vegetation damage. Silly? Maybe more logical than judging by age? Hunting is not a union position, you don't get trophies just for putting in your time when your told it's your time. you get what you put into it(luck helps too). If someone is ready to start putting effort into hunting at age 8 so be it. I wish them luck, except during the annoying youth hunt that is lol

29-Nov-17
Can I ask why the youth hunt is so annoying to you.

29-Nov-17
Mainly I feel age is irrelevant. Hence why I'm for no minimum age. Secondly it always brings early season corn piles into local public land. And of course I don't like wearing orange.

29-Nov-17
NB, LOL, I enjoyed that!

29-Nov-17
I know, wearing orange for 2 more days out of the 800 zillion day Wisconsin archery deer season is a drag!

30-Nov-17
Careful BT. I know you were being sarcastic about the overly long bow season. But the politicians are already taking days away in the metro zones. Once they get that foot in the door...

01-Dec-17
I've always let the kids I'm taking choose where we sit, how we hunt and for how long we're out there. I let them lead the way when we are scouting as well. That way it IS their hunt.

• Sitka Gear