ColoBull 30-Nov-17
Treeline 30-Nov-17
ColoBull 30-Nov-17
Brun 30-Nov-17
Treeline 30-Nov-17
Jaquomo 30-Nov-17
ColoBull 30-Nov-17
30-Nov-17
I'll be applying for unit 201 Archery Elk next spring. I figure I've got a 50:50 chance. If it's not next year, it will likely be the next ( or the next). I worked up around there for ~6 months several years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. I'll have the time to spend a week or two scouting this summer. Maybe more. I've considered just paying the Walker Ranch trespass but would like to explore other ( free) options. Those of you with knowledge you are willing to share, please do...?

30-Nov-17
Pretty sure you don’t need to pay any trespass fees in 201.

I hunted 2 last year and leaned a lot about that country. I spent most of my time far away from where the normal crowds hunt in archery and muzzleloader seasons.

If 201is like 2, I would focus my efforts on the last week of the hunt.

30-Nov-17
Thanks. The Walker trespass is ~ $2500. After waiting over 20 years, it seems a small price to pay for the hunt of a lifetime. Of course that $$$ could go to a guide on the public land as well. Whenever I get the draw, I will likely be spending the entire month up there. Even if I were to tag out early, I'd probably just hang out & eat elk for days on end. I just love being in Elk country in September.

30-Nov-17
I could be mistaken, but I think all of the Walker stuff is in unit 2. It's also generally 1 or 2 points less to draw in 2. I agree with Treeline that pretty much everything you want to hunt in 201 is on public. Good luck, I'm nearing a hunt up there somewhere also so I'm always interested in everyone's opinions on any of those units. Good luck!

30-Nov-17
There may be a little bit of Walkers in 201.

I chose DIY and am not sorry I went that way.

If you have the time and experience elk hunting, I would say that you would need neither a guide nor private access up there.

30-Nov-17
What Treeline said. You don't need a guide in either of those units if you have elk bowhunting experience. If your experience is limited, maybe so. Amazing how many people I meet who draw those units and have either never bowhunted elk before, have never killed an elk with a bow, or are rifle hunters who will never catch the point creep for a rifle tag so they get a bow tag. Many of them strike out. It's not an easy hunt, but if you know how to bowhunt elk you will have a blast.

30-Nov-17
My mistake - I was thinking Unit 2 and said 201. I'm probably 5+ years out on 201but just 0 to 2 in Unit 2. I have about 25 years of bow hunting experience all over the state. We have developed a "recipe" that seems to work almost anywhere/everywhere. It usually involves snuggling up to a wilderness area, in a national forest, on public lands. I'm really looking forward to it. My son has been bow hunting with me for ~15 years, and will be my caller/primary packer. We target shoot 50 yds regularly and get 3-4" groups. As summer draws closer I'll be putting in a request for some more specific areas if that's OK. Any PM's would be much appreciated, although any "secrets" don't really apply in a unit demanding 20+ pts.

• Sitka Gear