Ungie01201 02-Dec-17
Jebediah 02-Dec-17
muzzy 02-Dec-17
Ungie01201 03-Dec-17
Wardens Worry 03-Dec-17
Ungie01201 04-Dec-17
Will 04-Dec-17
01-Dec-17
Some of you said that you see bear on a regular basis. Where is this place?

01-Dec-17
Just about anywhere in the Berkshire's. West of Northampton.

01-Dec-17
I have a friend who is a guide in maine. Think i am going next year. Check out shamrock guides/hunting on facebook. Small bait op. 8 customers last year. 6 took a bear home. Bout 1200 for the week all inclusive lodging food atv etc. ask to speak with Tom the owner

01-Dec-17
I’ve been at it for 5 seasons now in bear infested areas and I have yet to see one. It seems hopeless without bait. I think if I had 5 straight days in a row I’d get one. Before the season starts I’d throw down bait and a cam and get bears hitting it in less then 24 hours and usually 12 hours. I even had one where I had one hit the bait 20 minutes after I left!

01-Dec-17
Spike you never burned anise oil?

01-Dec-17
Murphy I did try one of the incense sticks a few times but MA is so wacky who knows if it’s even legal.

01-Dec-17
I know Anise is specifically mentioned in the prohibited scents to use. Here in MA you have to go to the law and research it as it is way more thorough then what you read in the abstracts. I guess they expect us to be lawyers.

01-Dec-17
Where do you see that? I'll I see is no baiting

01-Dec-17
You have to go to the MA general law. It would go something like MGL CMR 1234.4 Section 2 for example. Pain in the ass. I also found out in the MGL that dead coyote was illegal for bobcat and fox. Talk about entrapment.

01-Dec-17
Thank you all for the info. I think I may make a plan for next year.

Spike, i see nothing wrong with putting out some donuts or a sheet cake for the squirrels. Just make sure the bears know that it’s for the squirrels.

01-Dec-17
Yep , I eat 20 donuts for lunch and 10 more for dinner. I don't bring em up a tree with me cause I need the exercise . Is that bait ? Is artificial sugar real bait ? Hmm ? dunno!

01-Dec-17
You have to bait them and this state doesn’t allow that, I would suggest hunting them over bait for the first time. Unless you know of a bear and it’s regular pattern, then they will be hard to find and hunt.

01-Dec-17
Oneday I tried that up in Maine and no bear sightings either. I swear I believe in bears like I do a unicorn lol.

01-Dec-17
Any of the Hamptons in MA. Find a corn field and your on the bears. Stop and ask the farmers, they will turn you lose.

01-Dec-17
I've been baiting bears up in NH for a few years. Haven't killed one yet, but I've had 7 or 8 sightings. They are an incredible animal, smarter and with a better sense of smell than a whitetail. Really fun to watch from the stand.

01-Dec-17
Xi I got permission to hunt a cornfield last year and still no bears. I can’t explain how cursed I am I’m talking zero luck at all times.

01-Dec-17
I've seen at least 1 per hunting year (turkey and deer seasons combined) during the past 8-10 years in North Eastern Z6. I've seen a couple in eastern Z9, broadly speaking between 495 and routes 140/31/12.

Never tried to hunt them actively, but get a tag every year in case a legit shot op occurs and I really want to do it...

Last year had a Bear at easy archery range while on the ground calling turkeys. Um, not gonna lie... I may have needed new undies. :)

01-Dec-17
https://www.facebook.com/shamrockoutfitters/

I am going next year,.. i got an angle,.. if anyone wants to join give a yell over the next year

01-Dec-17

jdrdeerslayer's embedded Photo
jdrdeerslayer's embedded Photo
ha....i took this week off for shotgun season. as of today I've seen 7 bears....we are seeing more and more every year. my buddy hunting with us also got one.

01-Dec-17
J - is that pic Ben's or did you get one too? COOL!

01-Dec-17
Wow! Hard to tell from that pic, but that bear looks like a giant!

01-Dec-17
Jdr, nice bear! Gps coordinates please ha. What zone?

02-Dec-17
nw zn5 , yes will I got one too. yes it was huge.....

02-Dec-17
Spike, if it's where we talked about in 4S. I don't know what to say, that's bear ground zero!

02-Dec-17
Bait makes all the difference! You have to bait them at least three weeks in advanced before you hunt over it and I guarantee you will see them.

02-Dec-17

Oneday121o's embedded Photo
Oneday121o's embedded Photo
I took this nice 150 pound crested sow in NJ with my bow. I didn’t want a bigger one because dragging these things is a nightmare and the terrain they are in is typically mountainous. I dragged this about 1 and 1/2 miles through uphill country and it took me and my buddy three days to recover and a bottle of ibprophen

02-Dec-17
Xi, your telling me. I’m baffled. If you saw my spots it’s like wtf where are all the bears. I just need to put in more hours a day I guess.

02-Dec-17
oneday....no baiting in mass...... that s why our bear population has been taking off....

02-Dec-17
I would look into whether or not it's legal to sit over a gut pile where someone has killed a deer. In a lot of states a gut pile is not considered bait because it was not placed with the intent of attracting bears. Because of that, it's legal to sit over it. Not sure about Mass though. Found a gut pile in the snow in zone 5 last Dec that was picked clean and there were two different sets of bear tracks around it.

02-Dec-17
Smart man

02-Dec-17
So carry your deer out whole. Remove gut bag and carry back in. Just saying

I can see the nod from moons now. Lolol

02-Dec-17

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
Ungie01201's embedded Photo
Here’s one of mine. I have shot a bunch in the Berkshires and put many of my friends on them. I have seen 4 In mass during deer season this year and have had a bunch more on cam. This one dressed 313lb

02-Dec-17
For what it's worth, I can't imagine that a gut pile--extracted and deposited right where the deer died--is bait, any more than a deer carcass that was killed by a coyote, or any more than a patch of wild blueberries. Bears eat blueberries, right? I read this in a children's book.

02-Dec-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
My buddies sister bought a house in Palmer late summer. They knew something was creeping around the yard and finally put up a cam. Pretty big.

4 years ago in Richmond Ma. Another buddy of mine shot a 427 lb bear.

Some big bears out there.

03-Dec-17
Tons of bears in Richmond. All over Berkshire County.

03-Dec-17
Ungie, I am curious how you go about getting set up for bear. I'm confident in my deer sets based on scouting etc but wouldn't know the first thing about a bear set. What do you look for etc? I grew up in the Berkshires and my my parents farm has one (or several) that visit fairly often to smash their bird feeders. I'd love to give it a shot at some point.

04-Dec-17
All of the bears I have seen this deer season have been very random... Not in spots that I would assume would hold the bears.. Tons of beach and oaks, but no berries etc. Usually I hunt bears near places with berries. Whenever I find bear scat in the woods they are full of berries. There are tons of blue berries on the powerlines by my house and down in a public hunting ground near by too. I can remember hearing "someone" picking blueberries by my father and I a couple of times when I was young, only to walk into a bear stripping the bushes. My cousin has a small berry patch (half acre) that is always terrorized by bears and there are a couple of farms that have Blueberries scatter around here that have fantastic opportunities in the pieces next to it. You can actually find bear runs going to and fro. The hilltowns are loaded w/ bears here in Berkshire County... They just wander through the thick nasty stuff and swamps.

04-Dec-17
Congrats J!

• Sitka Gear