Oneday121o 02-Dec-17
muzzy 02-Dec-17
Bones1918 03-Dec-17
spike78 03-Dec-17
stillhunter 03-Dec-17
stillhunter 03-Dec-17
Oneday121o 03-Dec-17
02-Dec-17
I know this is a bow only site but this is the only hunting forum site for MA that I know of. Anyone know where I can buy pheasant or quail from for training with my new gun dog? I live in eastern mass near plymouth. Thanks!

02-Dec-17
Use pigeons, net them at night under any bridge. No permits needed

02-Dec-17
You can do what xi said or buy domestic cotornix quail like I did. You need permit for pheasant and wild quail. If you really want those then google MA pheasant preserves and they should have some on there. I tried to get some in Bernardston but they had a minimum order and the owners were complete a holes on the phone.

02-Dec-17
You can get bobwhite quail at wareham quail farm. Not far from you in wareham ma.

02-Dec-17
Oneday, if you go the wild bird route you can call Boston MaWildlife and request a permit. Some places in MA will not sell you any without one.

02-Dec-17
Jesus, this state just keeps getting more liberal the more I dig deeper.

02-Dec-17
Years ago I bought pheasants from a private seller, it was out of season. Only way I could hunt them was on a private preserve. Luckily my rod and gun club is a licensed preserve.

Even if you bring your own birds to hunt, public or private land, the season is not open. You could be charged with hunting birds out of season.

Something you might want to check out before buying some birds and letting them loose.

This is Massachusetts!!!!

03-Dec-17
Sir, I'm going to need to see your license and registration for that pheasant....

What's that? You have drugs? no, the drugs are ok and we don't care if you're here illegally. Yes, the fire department will send 3 trucks and give you Narcan no matter how many times you OD on heroin.

But you better have a license for that pheasant or we're going to ring you up for poaching.

03-Dec-17
Good point Bones lol. Yeah they have permits for all that stuff like liberation of the bird etc. Get a lawyer to read the permit definitions as they are mumbo jumbo.

03-Dec-17
I train my dog with my neighbors fair game chickens, I mean free range chickens .

03-Dec-17
Im kidding, thou I fully expect my gun dog to eat your chicken when its in my yard.

03-Dec-17
In NJ they stock training birds before the season. I wasn’t planning on hunting them just having the dog chase them and pop off blanks above them.

• Sitka Gear