badjuju 04-Dec-17
Will 04-Dec-17
B&M Baked 04-Dec-17
Fran 04-Dec-17
Rooster 05-Dec-17
hunterma 05-Dec-17
Will 05-Dec-17
02-Dec-17
Fairly new to bow hunting. Should I be nervous about being in an area that has a large amount of coyotes after dark? I hear them doing roll call once the sun goes down and it’s pretty damn spooky.

02-Dec-17
Fairly new to bow hunting. Should I be nervous about being in an area that has a large amount of coyotes after dark? I hear them doing roll call once the sun goes down and it’s pretty damn spooky.

02-Dec-17
Nope you will be fine. They will parallel you sometimes but you have a light so if you get nervous shine it in their direction. The ones you have to watch out for are the ratty looking ones that approach you in the day time ( shoot on sight!!! )

02-Dec-17
I carry a side arm at all times. Not legal during shotgun season, but during bow, a good back up.

02-Dec-17
Not legal during bow either.

02-Dec-17
X2 what spike said

02-Dec-17
Oh sorry guys! Thanks for the check. Sorry for the bad info Boston!

02-Dec-17
They are cowardly. Never had a coyote even remotely show any sign of agression and I've seen plenty.

02-Dec-17
Not legal, but should be!!! Wtf why not!?!

02-Dec-17
Not legal because some guys might be tempted to use it.

They're in their stand and mister big is just out of bow range, might never lay eyes on it again. Bang, buck down. Online check in and nobody questions it.

Honestly, how many wild animal attack's have happened in Ma. regarding hunters?

Coyotes can't run away from us fast enough, even bears would rather avoid us rather than attack.

There's nothing to be afraid of in the woods, we are the ultimate predator.

02-Dec-17
I hear you moons! I feel like a devient carrying s side arm, but growing up in Alaska it was a must!!!!! Habits die hard man!

02-Dec-17
Don’t worry about it. They’re not going to bother you.

02-Dec-17
Had a bear this morning about 12 yards to the left of me I was sitting and he saw me the same time I saw him and he did a 180 and bolted. Didn’t see or hear him again.

02-Dec-17
Good point Muzzy. Maybe it's Army training or an over active imagination, but man I feel naked without a backup weapon.

02-Dec-17
Although I did have a close call with a Black Bear a few yrs back. Was scouting a duck hunting spot @ Muddy Broom WMA by Ware MA. Was in a kyak next to a beaver damn, and had a Black Bear come straight at me from down a hill. Of course I was new to MA and did not have my Class A yet. I did a 360 as fast as I could and that bear was right at the Waters edge as I was paddling like a mad man in the opposite direction. So maybe we are a top predetor in the woods, but then again a determined bear could make short work of us!

02-Dec-17
Many coyote interactions and in all cases they high-tail it out of there except once--I think it was a mother with pups (in the spring??? Can't remember), it was in a really thick bush, I walked by at dusk, coyote wasn't pleased--showed no signs of leaving...so I left instead.

02-Dec-17
Had a bear walk towards me in NJ unafraid of me. If we are the top predators then I sure as hell did not feel that way at that moment.

02-Dec-17
I have had 1 sketchy moment with coyotes. But there was 13 of them. No need to worry about them. Just use white light in dark.

02-Dec-17
If there is one time I would like to carry a side arm, it's walking into the middle of the damn woods in the dark with my damn bow!!

02-Dec-17
Bostonwhaler, you’re the monster in the woods. I know it doesn’t feel like it, but you smell like death to everything else in the woods.

02-Dec-17
I've had a couple of times I wish I had a side arm in the woods Once with a moose and once with a bear.

02-Dec-17
But Steveeg, you made it home. Don't know what happened to you but guess you really didn't need that side arm.

Not sure how it would go over with the lawman if you shot a moose claiming self defense.

I do know that moose can be very aggressive, we run into them all the time in Maine riding sleds.

02-Dec-17
I wouldn't worry about the yotes, like others have said they are always running away when I see them. I've had a couple close encounters with bears and I just shouted at them as deep as I could muster and they took off. I'm sure the same would work with yotes if they stick around.

02-Dec-17
I carry everyday woods or no woods I have fear of the 2 legged animals not the 4 legged. I know the laws says you can't nut it also says we can't leave them unattended in your vehicle. I have a nice pocket in my bag once out of my truck that you would be hard pressed to find it without x-ray. But law is not to carry and law is also 55 or 65 on highway but who does that?

03-Dec-17
Agreed 1SG Ret. Who is going to frisk you in the woods ? It is not lawful but I don't understand how our right to protect our-self ends at the woods edge. I think there is a constitutional infringement going on there.

03-Dec-17
Along those lines, I was surprised when I came to Massachusetts and learned that one must pay for FID or LTC. I have always wondered if there's a no-pay option for folks who were struggling financially. If not, then Massachusetts is reserving the Second Amendment for the wealthy...

03-Dec-17
Very true 1SG, they really would have no reason to frisk you just out hunting unless you smelled like pot

03-Dec-17
Good point Jeb. At least there should be a work it off option to deter the cost of filing. Or some of our tax heist money should be on reserve for the same. We are forced to pay into the kitty for every thing else like public education if you have kids or not, police and fire , road work and water department ... Why not a few dollars more for our rights under the law. ?

03-Dec-17
Years ago guys were jogging in Dartmouth and a pack of what was described as very large coyotes chased them down the road. They knocked on someone's door to get away from them. I think they were off duty cops if memory serves me correctly. It was in our local paper.

04-Dec-17
If get nervous just grab an arrow. Broadheads can do damage without a bow

04-Dec-17
On two occasions, in the last 10ish years, I’ve had coyote come crashing though the woods, stand about 10 feet from me growling for 10-20 seconds and then take off. It felt much longer than that. I have a lot of coyote in my area that are singing most mornings. Most days they sound way off but on days they seem louder and closer I wait a bit before heading in. I still afraid of Sasquatch too.

04-Dec-17
DNanks, yup, carry your arrow like a spear when walking in/out in the dark. having a sheath knife on your belt and a tomahawk isn't a bad idea either. as for the yotes, I've had them calling all around me in this one spot every night I hunted it and it was chilling to say the least. make a lot of noise and have a bright light and they will steer clear. only times I've seen them in daylight they've bolted once they saw me. on the main site a guy told a story that he was gutting out a deer and they came in close. said there were 2 or 3 of them. but once he stood up they bolted. have heard others say similar things, when you're sitting or low to the ground they don't think you are a threat. but once you stand up and they realize what you are they bolt.

04-Dec-17
I dont worry much about yotes... though I am carrying mace now as a tool to scare off bears - hopefully. Only because I'm cheap and didnt want to spend 70 bucks on bear spray. If a yote approached I'd likely use it on them too...

04-Dec-17
Just kill them, The skins make nice wall hangers. Killed many with bow and its good practice.

04-Dec-17
I have bear spray that I carry.

05-Dec-17
My dog will chase a red laser, which can be a lot of fun for me and some good exercise for her... I wonder if yotes would? Could be a lot of fun from a tree stand.... need to test this...

05-Dec-17
Will, Just makes sure you are not carrying the old style mace (CS), it works on the lacrimal glands (tear ducts) and bears don't have them! The newer pepper spray is a concentrated cajun pepper extract and works by irritating the eyes, nose and mouth. That is basically what bear spray is, just in larger quantity and higher concentration and with more pressure to put out a cone of spray a farther distance. Stay safe

05-Dec-17
Good to know HunterMa. I just got it last spring... Likely new variety then?

I may end up splurging on bear spray or using my cabelas points on it. It would work on a junkie on a trip I suspect, and just about any critter finding issues with me. I worry more during turkey season than deer... Because I have seen more bears then, and I always wonder if calling is actually attractive to them. Bobcats and yotes sure like it...

• Sitka Gear