orionsbrother 08-Dec-17
Drop Tine 08-Dec-17
MF 08-Dec-17
Jeff in MN 08-Dec-17
WausauDug 11-Dec-17
06-Dec-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
I realize this isn't a rifle or muzzle loader site but I don't care, I thought this would be very cool to show & tell. Yesterday, finally the snowy (4 inches) colder weather I have been waiting for, I could do without the 45 mph winds but you cant beat Mother Nature. At one 1:45 I was in my tree and at 2:45 I was saying to myself "I'm going to die if I sit here". With wind gusts of 45 I was swaying back and forth like a pendulum let alone it was in single wind chill digits but I have great gear and I was warm. I decided to get down and hunker down underneath a huge pine tree, one of those where the branches form a canopy and touch the ground, I also remember from years ago I cleared out a spot underneath one of those trees for a ground blind. It was perfect, I took my backpack off to sit on and leaned back against the tree. In my regular tree stand vantage point I was watching a little open field that has two apple trees, one to my left and then one about 80 yards straight in front of me along the woods line . On the ground I could only see the one that was 80 yards away but I didn't care because that tree still held some now brown frozen over ripened apples that would once in awhile now fall to the deer's liking and the other apple tree lost all its apples a few weeks ago. Leaning up against that giant pine tree I could feel on my backside with every huge gust of wind its roots lifting up but taking hold as if that big tree was fighting the wind. It was my 9th day in arrow hunting, I visualized the big buck I was after stepping out on the edge of the field but as time ticked by and light fading fast my enthusiasm lessoned. With two minutes of shooting time left I decided to get up and take a look at that other apple tree that was closest to me. I waited for another gust of strong wind to mask the noise and movement, I then walked around another but smaller pine tree to get a clear view of the smaller field where the apple tree was. Keep in mind I was dressed in Naked North Camo, orange slip on vest, hat and gloves, to my surprise I was shocked to see 2 does and a buck, thinking to myself I am busted, they looked at me for a split second and put there heads down and continued grazing. I pulled back the hammer and put the crosshairs on the buck that was 60 yards away and squeezed the trigger, I new right away it was a bad hit, a little to far back, I trailed him and he laid down only after 20 yards, I backed out and decided to let him lay over night. A friend and myself picked up the trail at 7:15 am only 60 yards further I found more beds and finally I spotted something out of the ordinary what looked like a mound of some sort, as I scoped it I seen a antler sticking out, my deer was covered with leaves and sticks, my first instinct was a bear did this but as I walked closer I then new it was a bob cat that has claimed this kill. Never did I expect I would walk up on 3 deer that paid me no mind and later find my deer hidden so well by a seldom seen cat. One of my best solo hunts ever. Just needed to share.

06-Dec-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo

06-Dec-17
Congrats MF- I shot a doe a few yrs ago and decided to back out til morning. I returned at 1st light and followed the bloodtrail to a mound of grass. I could just see one hoof sticking out.

06-Dec-17
Great story and a really nice buck. Congratulations.

06-Dec-17
Nice buck. Nice story. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

06-Dec-17
Cool story. Great buck. My buddy had a buck last year buried by a bobcat. Cannot believe we found it. It was covered in moss and leaves, then it snowed on the buck to top it off. I followed 2 sets of tracks to a thick Grove of white pines.

06-Dec-17
Great story MF, congrats on a nice buck and sticking with it.

06-Dec-17
That wasn't the buck I was after but the way it all fell together I just couldn't pass the opportunity up.

06-Dec-17
make no apology, ever, for taking a fine animal,,,, that is a nice buck,,, good for you

06-Dec-17
Thanks for sharing

06-Dec-17
Great job and story! Nice buck.

06-Dec-17
Nice story MF. Congratulations. Several years ago I had a bad hit with an arrow on a doe and had a similar situation. My next day tracking with spotty snow showed bear tracks. At the end of the trail, I was perplexed until I saw a hoof sticking out from the leaves and then figured the bear cached the doe.

I kept one eye out looking for the bruin while dressing out the doe.

06-Dec-17
Glad you found that buck. Great story. That bobcat is pissed at you. He covered it well.

06-Dec-17
Nice, congrats!!

06-Dec-17
Great story and deer... That wind was brutal! Way to stay the course!!

07-Dec-17
Thanks for sharing. Great story.

07-Dec-17
Very nice Mike! Nice looking camo too!

07-Dec-17
Cool, congrats!

07-Dec-17
That's awesome! At first glance I thought you'd found a shed already until I looked closer. Congrats!

08-Dec-17
Cool story. Thanks and congratulations on a fine buck!

08-Dec-17
Thanks for sharing. Very cool.

08-Dec-17
Congrats!

08-Dec-17
What load are you shooting? I’m always curious to what others are using.

08-Dec-17
295 Gr Powerbelt copper and 2 Triple Seven pellets

08-Dec-17
Way to go Mike. Very cool, you obviously know where and how to find bucks up there.

I had some of those killer winds this year. Some I just didn't leave the house and some I sat on the ground. I love 3 leg folding chairs. Clear any leaves out and set them a little bit out from the tree trunk and rock back so your back is against the tree. You can rock back forward if a shooting opportunity comes your way. Drop to one knee if you need to or even stand up without much noise/effort.

11-Dec-17
great story MF and and thanks for posting it. I have to say in the 12 years I've been on this site this firearm season is the first one that didn't turn into a gun hunter bashing sh8t show. We all love a good story and are all hunters first regardless of weapon. Except for able bodied 20yr olds x-bow hunting of course:)

• Sitka Gear