Pi 07-Dec-17
Will 07-Dec-17
DeanMan 08-Dec-17
bowandspear 08-Dec-17
PublicLandHunter 08-Dec-17
07-Dec-17
Quick sit in the blind behind the house. My 9 year old was going to join me, but the cold won out. Hoping to use my last buck tag on something worthy, save the doe tags for the kids.

Good luck, and fear the pumpkins, they're dangerous!

07-Dec-17
Haha fear the pumpkins. Back in blue hills 20 feet up. Thought I had a herd of 50 deer coming but it turned out to be 3 guys "still hunting" haha good luck guys

07-Dec-17
Later ,for a slip through the woods . No fear ... Just Don't shoot the pumpkin ! Good luck. hunters.

07-Dec-17
I was out sucking cough drops in the woods for an hour before work. Nothing, but heard a few distant shots. Set up a mock scrape and camera to see if it's worth hunting next week during the second estrus cycle. Hopefully I can get an afternoon sit today.

07-Dec-17
I'm hoping to get out for the first time in a week this afternoon. A bit of "Tree Stand Therapy"... which based on Pi's most excellent "cost" thread, we all enjoy. Thus, as one of you guys coined Z0 for "working" during a recent season... Lets have a nice acronym for Tree Stand Therapy...

So, today, I hope to get some TST... Or maybe better said (since other styles of hunting count), some HTT - Hunt Time Therapy.

Beware the Punkin!

07-Dec-17
Been a long week with no TST, so hoping for the last two hours of light today. Good luck all

07-Dec-17
Just got word of 2 guys my buddies know shooting big Berkshire bucks this AM... big 9 & 10 point. No deer on my cams! just checked one between meetings... not a single pic since I was there last Friday checking

07-Dec-17
Just settled in - latest in all (1:50pm )year hoping the short sit may be rewarding .

07-Dec-17
Sitting up here waiting on the last push. I got another doe and another guy I was huntin with shot a doe and a 4 point. Been really fun in here!

07-Dec-17
The Caveman voice in my head, “buck come right by but me not ready”

07-Dec-17
I'm reading and should be a little more focused. Dog barking is my helper he is always barking at the deer. Best look around. Bang.

07-Dec-17
Tried a dcr permit spot today. Hunted it a lot last year and several times late archery. Last week came in 1x and a dude put a cam on a tree 15yds from a grpund blind id made last year. Oh well. Tried a different spot here today but stinky sign, so went to my blind... now he has a ladder on the tree i normally use my climber in. Left him a note to coordinate... dont want to mess him up... sitting the blind today though. Good for him, its a good spot!

07-Dec-17
Will, it never fails. Damn look at this spot! Shit a stand! Love it.

07-Dec-17
Spike, I walked every inch of FSC scouting this winter and every time I found hat amazing spot I’d start looking for a good tree and yep there’s a stand.

07-Dec-17
I was wondering how hard that place was hunted. Guess that answers my question.

07-Dec-17
To end the day : I had a bad wind so I had to make a big loop , no problem it makes me look around . Eventually I made it to a decent spot , snug to some heavy cover and where I have been seeing a buck and doe this week. I was pushing the 500 foot mark so I held up. That time when they should step out came and so did a pickup truck. I best not shoot this close , now that someone is in that direction so I waited a for a little while to see if the activity moved some deer out ,but nothing . I moved on , away from that end of the field and towards the parking . At half way I decided to tuck into a tree and wait and watch . Back where I was they did it again . First the doe who was acting very strange (at first I thought it was a coyote) Then through the scope I could see her doing a little dance, tail out flickering and prancing around ... she is ready. Then my target buck walks out and both are about 50 yards from my last spot. Of Course ! So I watched them again and night fell upon us all . I went home alone. He lives for another day...

07-Dec-17
Sat in one of my burned-out spots just for the halibut. Saw nothing. Tomorrow's another day...

07-Dec-17
Last 6 sits - zero deer seen.

07-Dec-17
I did get my evening sit. 15ft up in a stand on Ft Devens for the last day of their 3-day shotgun hunt. Called my ass off, and bathed in estrus. Heard some movement, but nothing wanted to come out. Then right at last light I hear something to my right and left. On my right I see a lone doe casually browsing the grass in the field 50yrds away. I couldn't see to my left. I debated waiting to see if a buck showed up, but I was dancing with daylight and legal shooting time. Like seconds. So I let the doe come into 40yrds and took the shot with my muzzleloader. Heard the boom and instant thwack of a bullet hitting flesh. I know I hit her. Heard the recognisable sound of an injured deer going through leaves. Not fast or the steady gait of a spooked deer. By the time I got down from the tree, it was dark. Couldn't find the blood trail or deer. I had to be off base by 6 before they locked up, so I will be back in the morning to find her. I will be praying all night the damn coyotes don't find her first.

07-Dec-17
Had a doe at a 100 yards this evening until some pushers came through and messed up everything. Took a shot at a stump to see how it would look with the gopro gunmount and the shockwave snapped the mount right off. I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap chinese mount.

07-Dec-17
My big doe finally came in. I drew my shotgun (slugs)...and I missed. I flat out missed.

This is not my year.

I’ll go back out tomorrow morning early but I’m already convinced I’ll see nothing. I’m drinking heavily right now.

07-Dec-17
Good luck PLH . Pray once ,He doesn't like repetition . No worries , it will work out as it must . Accept whatever happens .

07-Dec-17
Sosso , Don't go too far . I tip my glass with you tonight and have hope for you tomorrow. Stay in the game and get back in there as soon as you can . Its just a test ... Pass it . Keep the faith or find some faith.

I pray that my shots are perfect and trust that it happens as it must. Don't worry about it , a clean miss is much better than an injured deer.

Let it go and start fresh . You will see deer and it will happen soon .

07-Dec-17
Thanks Pi. I’ll keep the faith.

...and keep refilling this glass.

Good luck to you too! Tomorrow and Saturday look amazing!

07-Dec-17

DeanMan's embedded Photo
DeanMan's embedded Photo
Took this warrior mass buck this morning in zone 9. I was in the right place at the right time. Deer had been feeding in the oaks all night and I apparently was set up on his run going to his bedding. I have been blessed!

07-Dec-17
Sosso - I love a line a buddy recently said... "Every second you are not seeing one, is one second closer to seeing one". Keep at it man!

Publiclandhunter... That's cool on the sighting, and the shot. Hope you are able to find the deer - those nights are never good... Sending you positive energy for sure!

Do a lot of folks do that Devens hunt? I live close by but have never tried it out... That said, I see deer all the time along Rt 2 along Devens and Oxbow... heck, I'd actually pay money to hunt the woods around the Prison in Shirley across route 2 from there based on all the deer I've seen in that area!

07-Dec-17
Deanman, that's a stud of a 9! Nice job! Can we get the story?

07-Dec-17
Will, Devens does three deer hunts, one for the disabled, one three day shotgun hunt, and one 3 day muzzleloader next week. Military and veterans are priority, limiting access to 50 hunters a day. Not sure how the process works for civilians. Only saw about 15 people signed in today, and the base has some real bruisers. If you want more info I can track it down for you. Worth trying it out next year.

07-Dec-17

PublicLandHunter's Link
Also check out the link attached. Oxbow is where I got my big 10 point. Worth the fees. Lots of deer, lots of land, and many archery only areas.

07-Dec-17
Congrats dean man!!!!!!

07-Dec-17
Another congrats DM ! Good Buck .

07-Dec-17
Cool public - Ill have to check into those next year.

Dean - AWESOME dude! What a stud! Looking forward to the details!

08-Dec-17
I hooked up with a buddy of mine and we headed to a spot on private land that he hunts in zone 9. I have hunted this place before but this would be the first time this year. He has hunted it a few times this year and had a good idea where most of the sign was in the area. We head in the dark towards the south end of the swamp where he sets me up on a knoll that has good shooting all around. To my west a couple hundred yards is a hardwood ridge that produced lots of nuts this year according to my bud. Lots of mature pines all around me where the deer like to go threw to there bedding area that would be to my east. At approximately 6:45 out of the strip of pines between the hardwoods and me popped out this buck! And let me tell you the first thing I seen was antlers! When I first saw him he was about 60 yrds and slowly closing the gap! He got to about 45 yrd and stopped behind a cluster of maples. Buck fever started to show up. I told myself to breath and that it's just a deer,lucky for me the deer continued to walk down the run that he chose giving me a 35 yrd shot! The bullet found his mark and the deer did a small loop around and expired out in front of me. This deer has all kinds of marks on his hide and a busted point as if he was in a fight or got hit by a car. I'm am greatful to God to be so blessed!

08-Dec-17
He is a stud DeanMan! Hat Tip to a great December Buck!

08-Dec-17
Well I track a blood trail for about 500 yrds and 4hrs. Lost it coming out of a marshy thicket. Felt confident at first, but as it drug on and led uphill, I began to think muscle shot. Maybe high shoulder. Going to try and hit the range this afternoon to see if my gun is off.

08-Dec-17

PublicLandHunter's embedded Photo

08-Dec-17

The first pic was the first blood, last pick was in the thicket where she stopped for a bit. Checked every possible bedding area within 300yrds of the last sighting. Nothing.

• Sitka Gear