fishstu 07-Dec-17
Gene 07-Dec-17
Gene 07-Dec-17
GF 07-Dec-17
SixLomaz 08-Dec-17
Bigbuckbob 08-Dec-17
GF 08-Dec-17
07-Dec-17
I want to go back out west for elk and was thinking of going to Colorado since they have over the counter tags. Anyone have any experiences out there?

07-Dec-17
Montana has pretty easy draw....the tags are pricey but hunting is good....however I always went non guided

07-Dec-17
SWk - sounds like they need to learn how to mulch their gardens to keep the weeds out :)

Jax - where abouts in Montana did you go? Always wanted to visit the state, so doing with an elk hunt would be great.

07-Dec-17
BBB I have the right medicine for those long shots out west. An Elite Impulse 34 bow set from 0 to 80 yards right in the gold launching 30 inches Easton FMJ 2 blade BH tipped arrows, weighing in at 504 grains. You know what else would work there to help move along on the trails? An electric mountain bike or better, horses.

07-Dec-17

SixLomaz's Link
Read up on this article and more at that location ... I am dreaming of running after elk up and down the mountain.

07-Dec-17
I've always hunted Utah, my two brothers are wardens there. Hopefully I get drawn for one of the lifetime elk or moose tags this year.

07-Dec-17

jax2009r's Link
gotta be ready to shoot 60 yards....elk are big so its kill zone is alot bigger than a whitetail.....get in shape too ....the high alt gets you winded/...i hunted the little belts which are only 8500 feet but steep

07-Dec-17
We went with Fred Richter at full draw outfitters. He and Michelle are great

07-Dec-17
Tony Pressler (Rudy Steele Outfitters). I have hunted with them 3 times and killed one in the 3 trips. Easy hunting with some spot and stalk and treestands. I'm actually thinking about calling Tony and setting up a 70th birthday hunt for myself in 2018.

07-Dec-17
Gene, don't see a site for Rudy Steele?

07-Dec-17
I have stayed in Fraser, Colorado for 2 summer weeks during last 2 years. My family have spent many days doing serious mountain hiking. I plan to hunt out there in 2018. The OTC license system is straight forward, around $640 for an either sex elk license. There is a LOT of public hunting land. At this stage I am thinking DIY or semi DIY - getting packed in and out with an agreement to get the elk packed out if so lucky. I am thinking about driving my truck out so it would be quite a time commitment - it is useful to have a 4 WD truck and renting one out has gotten ridiculously expensive. Plus could bring back the meat cheaply - getting meat shipped is $$. For the terrain and elevation we hiked you have to be in serious good shape. We have seen a bunch of elk, moose and mule deer on our hikes. I would like to meet anybody who is interested a Colorado elk hunt for a chat.

07-Dec-17
BBB, Rudy Steele passed away to cancer over 10 years ago. Tony Pressler was his guide and took over the business when Rudy passed away. I think my elk was quite probably the last elk that Rudy put a knife to. A great guy - what a shame. Tony is a top notch guy and I believe that he had a booth just this past year at the Harrisburg show under the name Rudy Steele Outfitters. Here is Tony's number (970 285 1070) and email address - [email protected]. I googled Rudy Steele Outfitters and it came right up.

07-Dec-17
BBB, Just tried 2 email addresses for Tony and both bounced back. I will do some more research on tracking him down.

07-Dec-17
If you want...

My sister in law has a cousin who operates out of Rifle or Kremmling.... last time I was out there, one of his clients had just tagged a bull that looked like the new ML record.

08-Dec-17
Sounds good GF. Let's talk contact info.

08-Dec-17
Thanks for the leads guys.

08-Dec-17
Ill talk to my SIL...

• Sitka Gear