RC 16-Dec-17
horsethief51 16-Dec-17
horsethief51 16-Dec-17
Teeton 16-Dec-17
horsethief51 17-Dec-17
horsethief51 17-Dec-17
Rut Nut 18-Dec-17
15-Dec-17
Well last Saturday (12/9/17) the last day of Pa's rifle season I headed out to a place that I'm trying to get to know really well, it's over 3k acres.. I was not hunting as I used my buck tag. Just trying to get to know this place well and pick up a camera that I had out since 9/9/17, which had like 2k+ pics on. Some pretty nice deer, turkey, bear and a few coyotes. With the inch of snow on the ground it really helped. Now we got about about 4 more inches of snow and am heading out tomorrow for a hike/scouting mission,, With the new snow and that all the leaves are gone, you can really get a good visual on many different aspects of the land. I spent only 2 hour there that last day of rifle and learned a lot with the help of the snow. Boy could you see things with the snow.. In just 2 hours last Saturday, not at a hunting pace , but a faster pace just trying to cover the most ground in that time, I learned I ton. Saw about 6 deer and 2 sets of bear tracks..

So tonight I will be putting a pack together and heading out early morning to see what I will learn. Anyone else starting their scouting yet? I know it's pretty early to start scouting for next years archery, but I'm more trying to learn the lay of the land. And if there's 2 feet of snow It's a lot hard to scout, even with snowshoes on. As the part I'm planning on scouting tomorrow is pretty steep. Ed

15-Dec-17
I was scouting for next year ever since I scored on Halloween and everytime I get in my truck. LOL.

15-Dec-17
I'll start scouting during flintlock season.

16-Dec-17
This snow is great for locating where the deer cross the back roads. And , where the deer come into my yard from to get at stuff to eat around the chestnut trees and shrubs.

16-Dec-17
The recent snow confirmed my scouting, now I just have to wait for them to migrate off of posted property. I am looking forward to scouting a few new areas during this winter, hopefully with some snow.

16-Dec-17
Before trail cameras scouting after a good snow was the way I got to know a woods. I like to go out if the snow has been there for a week or two. I learned one thing, no tracks means no deer.lol

16-Dec-17
Ed, ya should be practicing your shooting after missing that bear and deer last year:)

16-Dec-17
The tracks in the snow also prove the deer completely disregard the no trespassing signs. LOL.

16-Dec-17
The tracks in the snow also prove the deer completely disregard the no trespassing signs. LOL.

16-Dec-17

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
RC,, it was just a bear.. All one deer that I shot at died. :)

Well I got out today and scouted. Really enjoyed my time there. It was snowing lightly the whole time there. The wind was so calm I could hear the snow hitting the remaining leaves, just beautiful! Didn't see any deer, but rarely could walk 100 yards without cutting deer tracks. Most had snow in them, but saw some that were fresh. Saw 2 flocks of turkey. With all the turkey we have up in the northeast I don't know why we don't have a late turkey season??????? Didn't see any bear tracks.. Hoping on hit this place a few more times before the end of winter. Maybe a over night winter backpack trip will be in order, So anyone interested in a winter camp out??? We can call it The First Annual UBP winter camp out!! :) To be honest I always really did want to do a overnight backpack trip in an North Eastern storm..

Well I still have 3c doe tags, so looking forward to the late season. Any other guys getting out late season? Who will be hunting late season in 3c ?? Ed

17-Dec-17
I nominate rut nut to go camping with you. He can represent Clarion county for me.

17-Dec-17
I nominate rut nut to go camping with you. He can represent Clarion county for me.

18-Dec-17
Looks like fun, Ed! I haven’t done any winter camping in years. I would interested.

• Sitka Gear