Contributors to this thread:
skipmaster1 23-Dec-17
skipmaster1 24-Dec-17
pogo 24-Dec-17
skipmaster1 24-Dec-17
23-Dec-17

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I kicked off shed season tonight... just not how I wanted too. I had just pulled out of a property I was hunting and saw a deer had just been hit by a car. I stopped to move it out of the road and I saw it was a large, mature buck. The pedicles were still bloody. I looked around, thinking the accident knocked them free. I couldn't find them, but decided to come back later. My buddy came back with me and he aged the deer by tooth wear as 5.5-6.5 years old. I thought it might be a buck I had seen from stand this week. I ended up following a deer trail that sort of paralleled the road about 50 yards from where the deer was hit. My flashlight caught a tine sticking up from the bushes. As I made my way up there, both sheds were laying on either side of the deer trail, where the deer jumped a stone wall. It looks like he shed them both, just minutes before getting hit by the car. He was a heavy, stubby 6 point. Not the big deer I had seen this week from stand. Like I said, not how I want to find sheds.

24-Dec-17
And yes, I do know it's technically 2017 still. I just figured we were heading into the 2018 shed season

24-Dec-17
Wow! That's early. Our bucks carry theirs well into March on the farm I hunt near Rochester. Awesome find.

24-Dec-17
I've found them in December and I've seen them holding them on Easter. Most of the early drops have been on what I believe are older deer

• Sitka Gear