Quinn @work 05-Feb-18
Quinn @work 05-Feb-18
Rob in VT 05-Feb-18
Quinn @work 20-Feb-18
30-Dec-17

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Let’s see what you took in 2017.

For me I started with a spring Jake. No VT deer for me this year, although I took my best archery Whitetail in Iowa on a DIY hunt. My daughter took a heavy horned 173” Mule deer in Colorado on our first morning and her boyfriend took a nice 6x5 bull elk on our last day of our diy Hunt. He also took a nice VT 8pt in one of my food plots.

All in all a good year.

03-Feb-18
Nice job Rob. Great to see you making it happen for the kids.

Doesn't surprise me that this is the 2017 success thread from VT. LOL. Grew up there but luckily moved to CO as soon as I graduated college. Best thing I ever did as it relates to hunting.

VT....2 bucks per year and how many damn does? I never understood why VT Fish and Game has their head so far buried up their *&^? It's a shame. Could be a great place to hunt but VT F&G still seems to encourage the "brown it's down" philosophy that was prominent when I lived there pre- 90's. Nothing changed?

I see more whitetail bucks in one day here in CO than 2 full rifle seasons in Vermont.

I really hope some day it changes.

03-Feb-18
Quinn, where in CO are you? I have a place in Fort Garland and am on the 3-5year timeline before I become a COresident.

05-Feb-18
My job has me just south of Denver on the front range but we escape to the mountains or CO eastern plains or Kansas whenever we can. It sucks being in suburbia but it isn't a bad place because I'm 1.5-2 hours east or west of excellent hunting and that's 2 different completely different types of hunting. Mountains and plains. Both are awesome. 10 species in CO and world class deer hunting 3 hours east in Kansas.

Rob, you're on the right path. Fort Garland is beautiful if you can retire there. You were smart buying real estate before you retired. Everything is going up every year and CO real estate is always a good investment.

05-Feb-18
VT deer hunting is really sad. I never knew how bad it was until I moved away. I would love to go back and hunt our land but in the 24 years I've been gone the VT Fish and Game have done nothing to improve the deer herd. I went back to hunt moose back in the late 90's and it was great. Even that has gone downhill but I don't believe that's the fault of the F&G. Ticks and the lack of logging appear to be to blame. That and the fact they used to give out way to many permits around 2000-2010. Reduced their herd so much and then got hit by ticks.

05-Feb-18
Do you hunt public or private in KS? I have begun looking around for places to whitetail hunt in KS and Nebraska. KS seems to have some nice walk in areas.

20-Feb-18
I hunt both public and private. KS does have some good walk-ins. My biggest mule deer in KS came off a walk-in.

• Sitka Gear