Rgiesey 18-Jun-18
adogg437 14-Sep-18
wyobullshooter 14-Sep-18
adogg437 16-Sep-18
Stoneman 09-Dec-18
adogg437 10-Dec-18
Stoneman 13-Dec-18
02-Jan-18
Hi, My family and I just moved to out side of Cheyenne from Western Oregon, was just wounding what are some good units are for Elk and Deer. Also if there are any good 3D shoots around here. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

02-Jan-18
Welcome to Cheyenne! Elk herds are in great shape, regardless of area.

As far as 3D shoots go, check out Cheyenne Field Archers website. We’ll once again be holding the Triple Crown Shoot...one in Jan, Feb, and Mar. Bowhunter’s Weekend is always held the first full weekend in Aug up at Curt Gowdy State Park in Veedauwoo. Laramie puts on a good shoot around the 3rd weekend in Jul, also in Veedauwoo. Lots of shoots down in Ft Collins as well.

02-Jan-18
adogg, only a friendly unassuming westerner would ask such a question thinking they would get a response! I love it. My dad grew up in Cheyenne. There are great units all around the state, and as a resident you have access to them for the most part. I'm a non-resident and so I'm not up on point totals for residents. I would recommend the central units just north of you 7, 19, the 20's… all the units north of you or west in the Medicine Bow are good. For the most part there are no secret units in elk hunting, just secret drainages and spot-on-the-spot places in each unit. A good google search will help you pick a unit. For deer check out the Medicine Bow (for that matter elk too). Wyoming is an elk and MD hunters paradise and you will have no problem finding some solid units you can draw with just a small bit of homework. Here's a link talking about WY units http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/stories/site99.pl?page=wyomings_top_limited_entry_elk_units&tem=art1 I would do a google search and check out Eastmans Journal. That will get you well on your way. The other thing is that you are close enough to Colorado to build points for Mule Deer. In my experience CO is well worth building points for MD. I'd skip it for elk as a WY resident. All of this is just my opinion and there are many more good or better qualified opinions on the site. Welcome to bow-site. Kelly

03-Jan-18
Kelly---Wyoming doesn't have a PP system for residents for elk, deer, and antelope. It is all by random draw unlike for us NRs!

03-Jan-18
adogg437, If you want to meet some hard core bowhunters in the state try to attend the Bowhunters of Wyoming banquet in Lander the weekend of March 23rd-24th. Good way to get some connections and meet some new friends.

03-Jan-18
Great, thank you for the info I will check out those sites and look into attending the banquet in March. I appreciate the help!

04-Jan-18
Welcome to Cheyenne adogg! Plenty of excellent hunting opportunities nearby. The bad news is before you can apply as a resident, you will have to have lived in the state for at least one year prior to applying for any resident game/fish license.

04-Jan-18
Yep, you'll be hunting with a NR license until the fall of 2019 under the Wyoming regs. if you just moved there.

04-Jan-18
Is the time reduced for Military? In Oregon it is 3 months I believe but I could be mistaken. I have looked at the Wyoming fish and game site but did not find the time frame

05-Jan-18
The information is on the G&F website Hunting Page under the link “Am I a Resident “. As long as you are on active duty and have been stationed in Wyoming for 90 Days, and remain so through the season, you are eligible for a resident license.

05-Jan-18
Great! I will quality as a resident this year. Thanks , wyobullshooter

05-Jan-18
Yep, quite a few of us have benefited from that provision through the years. Some of us 40 yrs ago. ;-)

05-Jan-18
Thank you for your service!!

13-Jan-18
Your welcome, thank you

14-Jan-18
Welcome to WY!

Yep, Wyobullshooter pretty well gave you a lot of good info! Also I recommend you subscribe to Eastman's Magazines they have a lot of good info.

18-Jun-18

14-Sep-18

adogg437 's embedded Photo
adogg437 's embedded Photo
Tagged my first goat, my 2 yr old was so pumped to “touch a lope”

14-Sep-18
Congrats! Love the smiles...especially on the “bowhunter in waiting”!

16-Sep-18
Thanks! She is my youngest of 5 girls, older girls like 3-D shoots but not really into hunting.2 of them are pretty excited to get to bow hunt

09-Dec-18
adogg437 how did your elk season turn out? Hopefully there was a story or two...

10-Dec-18
Stoneman, I was pretty limited to how much time I was able to get out in the field,My job was pretty busy during bow season, Chased a few bugles but no shot materialized. I had a nice little 3 pt. buck at 42 yds. but a fir branch was covering the pump station so no shot there. I did how ever get to see 2 bull moose fight over a cow at about 150 yds. It was pretty awesome. being from Oregon it was the first time I had seen Moose in the wild. It was fantastic. How was yours?

13-Dec-18
Thanks for the follow up adogg, each year we learn something new just being in the woods. I hunted otc Colorado and while I probably should have punched my tag, I didn't. My goal is to hunt Wyoming and personally I cant get there soon enough.

• Sitka Gear