Lost Arra 23-Jan-18
Topgun 30-06 23-Jan-18
ohiohunter 23-Jan-18
Lost Arra 23-Jan-18
ohiohunter 24-Jan-18
Lost Arra 24-Jan-18
ohiohunter 25-Jan-18
08-Jan-18
My NR group will be applying for a general elk tag this year, my question is is there any sort of strategy to consider for 2nd and 3rd choice when applying w/ 2pts general regular tag? Will my 2nd and 3rd choices even matter with the regular application whereas if I were applying special tag my app will go to random draw.. correct?

09-Jan-18
You go into the PP Draws first even if you have no PPs and if you don't get a tag there you then go into the Random Draw for the remaining 25% of the tags. It works that way whether you go into the Regular draw or pay the higher price to go into the Special Draw. If you don't draw a tag there, then if there are tags left in your second and third choice units you have a chance to get a tag there as that's a random draw with no PPs used. I hope that answers your question.

09-Jan-18
It does, I thought I had read somewhere that only the special draw went to the random draw. With points if you do not draw your first choice your 2&3rd choices go to the random, or do all of your choices go to random?

So lets say I put in for units 1 2 &3 with Xpoints... I didn't draw #1 in point draw, is there a possibility I could still draw #1 and not use my points in the random draw? OR does the random draw start w/ #2.. then 3?

09-Jan-18
Random draw takes your PP if you draw the tag. Chances are you will not draw a second choice tag unless you apply for a type 4 antlerless tag. They will draw 1st choice based on PP then everyone who applied for that tag and doesn't draw is put in for the random draw, either special or regular, both are separate. Look at the hunt planner map online and click on an area then click more info and then drawing odds, it will show the numbers for special random draw and regular random draw along with other drawing odds. Try this link for an example: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Elk-Hunting/Elk-Area-12

09-Jan-18

ohiohunter's Link
Thanks for the link, do they offer any stats regarding the random draw success? The page I linked just shows the # of applicants per unit per choice, not who drew what.

09-Jan-18
quota minus 1st choice apps, equals the quota remainder going to the 2nd choice apps. That remainder and 2nd choice apps are your odds.

09-Jan-18
So basically the only tag a NR will realistically draw w/ your 2&3rd choice is an antlerless, regardless of regular or special draw. Thanks for the help. Any other details I should be aware of?

09-Jan-18
Using a type 4 or antlerless tag as a second choice and hunting could give you valuable scouting/Intel for when you draw a bull tag.

10-Jan-18
The hunt planner link shows the number of applicants for each drawing and the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice applicants for each. Random draws are also shown.

10-Jan-18
Well everyone in the party agreed to the cow/calf 2nd choice, the problem now is they do not offer a type 4, only a type 6 which is a separate draw therefore I cannot use it as my other choices. I also found a type 4 tag is full priced, so over $700 for a cow tag.. not a chance.

10-Jan-18
"quota minus 1st choice apps, equals the quota remainder going to the 2nd choice apps. That remainder and 2nd choice apps are your odds. quota minus 1st choice apps, equals the quota remainder going to the 2nd choice apps. That remainder and 2nd choice apps are your odds. "

And I was being a bit simplistic here. You can't get accurate odds from the reduced price demand reports.

10-Jan-18
I'm not so sure I follow Bob, I don't know what the reduced price demand reports are, but from what I saw on the draw reports is all [quota] draw tags were issued 1st choice with the exception of antlerless tags. To my dismay you cannot, at least for my unit, put a type 6 tag as 2nd or 3rd choice. Type 6 reduced priced cow tags are a completely different draw.

10-Jan-18
I think ohiohunter needed to read the section on the G&F website that shows what the different Type numbers are and he would be way ahead of the game with what he wants to do. All reduced price tags for elk, deer, and antelope are random draws that are all done separately from the full price licenses as you have now found out. That's why Ron suggested putting a full price Type 4 tag as your second choice, but I'm with you on that one and wouldn't pay that kind of money for a cow tag when the Type 6 tags are half of that!

10-Jan-18

ohiohunter's Link
The downside topgun, is its one or the other, or both I guess. It would be fantastic if you could put a type-6 tag as your additional choices. Then I'd be all for it, but I don't want to run the risk of drawing 2 NR tags/person of a 4 man group totaling 8 tags.

I know what the different tags are now but had no idea what was offered until I found a tiny little easily overlooked link, even then the blank boxes vs numbered boxes are confusing. Should've gone straight to the hunt planner, but even there they do not outline the archery stamp option for the gen tag.

On the link, why do some tags not have a type?

I still don't know what the reduced priced demand report is.

11-Jan-18
gen tags aren't a "type" tag

there are 3 nr draws in WY; special price, regular price, and reduced price

special and regular have 2 "phases; preference point draw (75% of the licenses) and random draw (25%). The Reduced price draw only has a random phase because reduced price licenses do not use points.

Each phase has a demand report ("odds report" but they are not true odds, they show "demand")

23-Jan-18
I agree with Ron. Hunting cows with a full price 2nd choice tag sure beats sitting at home.

23-Jan-18
Why would anyone want to buy a full price cow tag when there are a ton of reduced price cow tags that cost less than half the price of the Type 4 tags?

23-Jan-18
My thoughts exactly Topgun. If I were a WY resident I'd do it, but not a chance I'm gonna pay over $700 for a cow tag. There are plenty of other avenues to choose from at that price point. Heck, I could buy a NM landowner cow tag at a fraction of that or even hunt CO OTC instead... its closer and cheaper.

23-Jan-18
The price increase did throw a slight wrench in things this year. I wish the Type 6 tags were a sure thing in my hunt area but they're not and I don't want to be shut out. I like hunting the same area every year with my friends while I wait for a bull tag which at my age will probably be my last one. I don't usually apply for a second choice cow but would pay full price for a leftover tag if necessary. (I wouldn't trade my cow hunts in Wyoming for any OTC area in Colorado but I realize everyone's experience is different. Going back with the rifle is a nice option to have if you really like elk meat.)

24-Jan-18
While I'll agree w/ the OTC comment, I'd rather try to find an affordable LO tag in NM. But at the same time I could add an extra day or 2 of hunting if I opt for CO due to drive time.

Trust me, not drawing WY does not mean I'll be on the bench. If I'm on the bench its by choice.

24-Jan-18
If I hadn't gone to college in Wyoming many decades ago I probably would have spent time investigating New Mexico elk. I've done some summer bike trips there and there is some great looking elk country. I always wanted to see what was available in the area between Chama and Tres Piedras.

25-Jan-18
A lot of elk up there, and every non res has the same odds of drawing as well as every resident. But if you can hunt elk every year In Your Home state it’s less appealing to toss your chip ein the pot.

If I could’ve put a reduced price cow tag on my app as a second or third choice I would in a heartbeat. My group and I are in for a gen tag. I may get a chance to squeeze in a scouting trip, but I can’t predict where the masses might be come season.

If we draw a reduced tag may be in play while we have 0 pts, this year everyone is a little too excited about chasing bugles... including myself.

• Sitka Gear