Bowng 01-Aug-18
ben yehuda 09-Aug-18
Surfbow 20-Sep-18
Bowng 14-Apr-19
Bowhuntpig666! 02-May-19
Rhody 18-Jun-19
HoytCarbon 14-Jul-19
10-Jan-18
Hi All, I am thinking about focusing on Los Padres National Forest for Turkey and Pig hunting. Does anyone have any feedback on the productivity of the area for both? Which section of the area does it make sense to focus?

10-Jan-18
Well, I don't have much hunting experience but I've spent a good bit of time hiking, camping, etc. in the LPNF and I've yet to see a pig or turkey there on public land. There are often good numbers of deer hunters in N. Santa Barbara county, but even gun hunting seems pretty unsuccessful in the LPNF.

The general opinion here is that private land is the way is to go for Turkeys & Pigs, but that's easier said than done unless you're related to vineyard or ranch owner.

There are lots of turkeys and some pigs in the ag areas around Cachuma Lake and north in the Santa Ynez and Santa Maria valleys. Maybe try to find some private ground that holds animals and that abuts the NF and try the public ground there.

We've had some major fires here this year in the NF as well, so keep that in mind.

19-Jan-18
I've hunted them. Haven't even seen sign. You'll need to do a ton of scouting and find a honey hole. Look for places difficult to access that are right up against private.

01-Aug-18

09-Aug-18
Bowng,

Your experience with Turkeys on the central coast is in line mine. You drive by the vineyards out on Foxen Canyon Rd. and they're everywhere. Then you get up to public ground and you can't find a track or feather.

I lived in that area for a long time but recently moved to Alberta, otherwise I would have been happy to connect with you.

Good luck!

20-Sep-18
I grew up in Santa Barbara County, (haven't lived there in over 10 years though) the most productive hunting we did in the LPNF around there was for quail. Pigs and turkeys were really hit or miss, once in a while we'd see them on the national forest around Cachuma Lake, but access and/or vegetation made that hunting tough. We almost exclusively chased those on private land we had access to. I'd suggest looking farther north around Arroyo Grande, San Luis, Paso Robles, or Hunter Ligget to find pigs and turkeys on public land.

14-Apr-19

Bowng's embedded Photo
Seems like a good sign
Bowng's embedded Photo
Seems like a good sign

02-May-19
Have the same experience as above. You can call them in on some public spots, no doubt they are around though can be hard to locate and are extremely cognizant of scent and if you spook one without a dog you are in for an experience. Had atleast 6 called in on private land adjactent to vineyard land though no luck yet. Best is to set a blind near where you see fresh sign and wait for them to feed in the early morning after calling as an aggressive hog. They sure as hell are smart around here. Damn lions must be after em

18-Jun-19
spammer.... leave

Hunter Ligget is best opportunity for public access. However, in the past, turkey hunting there really required an in-depth knowledge of the zones. Up around Pozo and Lake San Antonio area with some scouting, one might find areas such as Santa Lucia Mountains... saw sign, never successful.....

14-Jul-19
I saw a hen and a chick about a ween ago around turkey flats in pozo. I have also seen tons of turkeys on private before turkey flats. A buddy and i were deer scouting and saw about 50 birds on ft hunter ligget of course not during season. Also saw a 250lb pig hit on the road a little north of ligget. Im going to register this year for ligget the only problem is that most of the hunts they allow are on the weekends and i work those days. I would go and register there cause when we were driving through to big sur we saw a ton of game on the base. Anybody have any luck today on deer opener?

• Sitka Gear