Catscratch 13-Jan-18
leftee 13-Jan-18
doubledrop 13-Jan-18
Kansasclipper 14-Jan-18
liktobowhnt 14-Jan-18
Kansasclipper 14-Jan-18
cherney12 15-Jan-18
10-Jan-18
I see my old employer is branching out into some different types of products. I’m curious, is this a completely novel product, or is Garmin just the latest player in an existing market?

The technology seems pretty amazing, but I don’t know if I’d want to hunt with it. On one hand, it just chips away a little more of the challenge of bowhunting. On the other hand, it would decrease my odds of merely wounding a deer.

10-Jan-18

Brick's Link
Let me try that link again

10-Jan-18
Don't think it would be legal in KS, or many other states?

10-Jan-18
They start at $800 and go up, I'll take 3 please

11-Jan-18
Pretty neat, imo. Most people use a range finder...why not combine it with the sight? Why wouldn't it be legal?

11-Jan-18
I work at Garmin..... and i got to use it and its pretty amazing at some of the stuff it can do. I still have it on my bow, and shoot with it when the weather is right! And it is legal in Kansas, but as of now there is a few states that its NOT LEGAL, but as far what exact states those are, i not sure.

12-Jan-18
Will be against pope and young fair chase rules but looks pretty interesting to me

12-Jan-18
Well, if Big Brother says, “No,” then real bowhunters should stone all who even look at an ad for the thing in a magazine!!! :-)

12-Jan-18
"Search and Recovery Position Statement"

"It is the responsibility of all hunters to give total effort to recover an animal by track and trail until every reasonable possibility has been exhausted. This is a fundamental principle of ethical hunting and is well understood in our heritage and taught in hunter education.

This ethic, coupled with the fact that the Club’s Records Program records only bow-harvested animals, translates into a policy stating that an animal for which the search was abandoned, and the animal later recovered, will not be eligible for entry."

Seems like this sight would help make search and recovery more successful... maybe not. My dad seems to only wound deer with his crossbow and hardly ever lost anything with his compound.

12-Jan-18
Just another step toward no distinction between archery and other seasons-although that line is already blurry in Ks.Sadly.

12-Jan-18
It's weird to me that pope and young is cool with hand held range finders but not range finders attached to your bow.

12-Jan-18
^^^ or lighted knocks

12-Jan-18
What happens on a cold day like today and the battery dies?

12-Jan-18
bring an extra set?

12-Jan-18
Lighted knocks are now acceptable as of a few years ago. For the life of me I did not understand why P&Y was against using them.

12-Jan-18
Just trying to adhere to their original core values.. they cave to technology because it brings more members and more money.

12-Jan-18
What were the original core values?

12-Jan-18
If it wasn’t so expensive I’d put one on a bow. Interesting technology.

12-Jan-18
Hell yes it is illegal in Kansas, according to Kyle anything more then a longbow or recurve and hunting from the ground should be illegal.....right Kyle!!!??

12-Jan-18
Oh Lee don't get all wadded up and soil your pile. I said "I think it isn't legal" so I was wrong...I don't get paid to think ;?)

Good luck tomorrow!

12-Jan-18
Has anybody heard about offering the use of Cowboy action guns into primitive season. Meaning 45-70 and many others. I think Missouri or Louisiana, Alabama have that type of season. I heard today by chance at a Surgery center by our Surgeon that there was going to be a push in Kansas for this.

13-Jan-18
Haven't heard anything about Cowboy action guns but I don't like the idea... and it wouldn't surprise me if it did happened. Honestly if it was regulated to open sites and ammo calibers with a significant drop at 100yds, I could see them being equivalent to a non-inline muzzleloader without a scope. We all know that rules like that won't be attempted or regulated because they wouldn't attract more out of state money.

Why can't this all be simple; buy an archery tag and only get to hunt with a bow during bow season. Buy a rifle tag and only get to hunt with a rifle during rifle season (if you want to use a breach load 45-70 for your rifle then great). I don't even really like muzzle-loader season... I consider them a rifle just like I consider a longbow archery. Like a longbow doesn't need a different season just because it isn't as easy or effective as a compound. A smokepole doesn't need a special season either.

Sorry, rant over.

13-Jan-18
Amen!!!!

13-Jan-18
This is a tough one for me. I like the idea and concept of it, but I could definitely see P&Y having a tough stance on it. I see it similar to the crossbow advantages. The extra movement required to use the standard rangefinder would be similar to the extra movement needed to draw a bow. I pre-range in the country I whitetail hunt and don't want to fumble with a rangefinder, but I could see this being the demise of many western animals. I know I would have had more success on pronghorn over the past few seasons had I been able to range a little easier.

14-Jan-18
Why in the world would you need one of those for bow hunting when the average shot is less than 20 yds?

14-Jan-18
I shoot one pin 0 to 30 yards same pin every shot

14-Jan-18
Me too! I will also take a step on the wild side and disagree with Cherney and say that most hunters do not use a range finder. A good majority on here might but the average bow hunter does not even know that this site even exists, nor do they care.

15-Jan-18
I don't use a rangefinder, but I just sit in a tree stand most of the time. I should have said most people comfortable taking shots over 40 yards from the ground. Gets a lot harder to judge distance over 30, but you're right, most guys sit in a stand where they know the distance to every shooting lane. I'll never be able to afford one anyway so it's a moot point for me whether it's legal or not.

• Sitka Gear