bowkevin 17-Jan-18
bowkevin 21-Jan-18
bowkevin 21-Jan-18
Bob Hildenbrand 21-Jan-18
HARRY CARRY 21-Jan-18
RC 22-Jan-18
Red Beastmaster 22-Jan-18
13-Jan-18
Ah, snow, and ice, and plummeting temperatures, and slick roads, and grimy trucks and cars, and .... people generally sick of all this crap. So, what can ya do?

"GO SHOOT YOUR BOW DOWN AT 'STICKS'!!" is what you can do!

Here's how: scrape the ice off your windshields, WD40 the keylocks, warm up the insides, and if you are lucky to have one, turn on the rear defroster.

Then, place your recurve or longbow, heck even your selfbow inside the warmed up vehicle. Add a handful of arrows. Attire yourself in Woolrich, or Helly Hanson, or UnderArmor, a good pair of boots, and gloves. Now, get inside that vehicle, and aim it towards Alverton, Pennsylvania, and put the gear in "drive". BUT:

Make sure you are doing this next Sunday, January 21, for a target time of 8 AM. !!!!!!!!!

Why? Because, it's the "SPAM SHOOT"!!!!!!

If you think any of The Crew has any clue what next Sunday's weather will be like, we'd like to talk with you about lottery numbers. All we know is that the Annual "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers" "SPAM SHOOT" is next Sunday, and by gum, we've got the SPAM, AND YOOHOO, ready for 3 lucky, random winners.

So, you may ask, what's the deal with SPAM and Yoohoo?

Well, we'll simply answer with "WHY NOT?"

What started as a competitive shoot years ago has morphed into something that requires no competition, no strategy, no gamesmenship, no abilities or proficiencies whatsoever. Just your willingness to stop over, meet up with your friends both old and new, and have some Traditional Archery fun over a hillside or two.

Yep, 3 random folks, from all the registered Archers, will be selected to take home their awards of SPAM and Yoohoo.

All while participating and shooting in the areas most unique place of Traditional Archery 3D courses. Are we Compton's? Are we Denton Hill? Are we Baltimore?

NO!!!! We are "Sticks", and we ARE Alverton!

So, there you have it: the premise for the shoot on Sunday, January 21, 2018, from 8 AM until 1 PM. Unknown weather. Shooting stickbows. Meeting up with folks you know, and folks who will soon become your friends. Cheering for great shots. Cheering louder for those evil, nasty shots that you totally buggered up. SPAM. And Yoohoo.

Sometimes, it's good to be "the Little" shoot, when compared to our "big brother shoots".. !!!

Does this sound like your kind of place to be?

We hope so!

See ya Sunday, Jan. 21st! We'll leave the targets up for you!

The Crew

13-Jan-18

HARRY CARRY's embedded Photo

13-Jan-18

13-Jan-18
I'm ready.

13-Jan-18
Yes, the title is incorrect: the shoot IS SUNDAY, JANUARY 21, 2018. Not Saturday, the 20th of January. Sorry for this typo.

MODERATORS: is there any way the OP can edit a Topic line? I know the OP can edit his individual posts, but not sure if the topic line can be edited after-the-fact...

13-Jan-18
Way to go Randy.

Forecast for Sunday is 54* and partly cloudy. Or partly sunny if you're a glass half full kind of person.

13-Jan-18
I cannot wait hope its like you say dave

13-Jan-18
Red, I haven't even attempted to look that far into the future! All I know is that 5+ inches of snow being removed from a 120' driveway has made me not appreciate winter, as much as others appreciate winter. But, at least the deer who use the driveway to get to the birdfeeder will have an easier path now.

I look forward to ANY temp above this Teen-Sensation crap.

Joe: I may hand you a couple bows. Do your magic on them. Or hang them on a wall. I'd be curious to see what your mystical powers could do to them....

And, if upon folks' arrival at the Sticks shoot, they see a huge bonfire in the middle of the parking lot, it means that once again, my hands were cold.....

14-Jan-18
Yes, the title is incorrect: the shoot IS SUNDAY, JANUARY 21, 2018. Not Saturday, the 20th of January.

ROOKIE:)

14-Jan-18
On behalf of all of The Voices inside my brain, RC, I humbly apologize. Forgive me, for I know not what I do.....

17-Jan-18
Ryan and I are coming and feeling lucky. Bring on the spam

21-Jan-18

bowkevin's embedded Photo
bowkevin's embedded Photo
We had a great time today. The course was set up perfectly. Lots of good hunting type shots

21-Jan-18
Who won the spam? lol hope it wasn't me I'm fat enough ??

21-Jan-18
No need to worry Kev. You're safe. Chris Dunn, Kenny Gibbons, and Jim "Balls" Brown were the winners.

Kudos to the SSTA guys again. Great time.

21-Jan-18
Hey, THANKS BOBBY, for jumping in there! I just got done with the Facebook write-up (("Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers")), and getting Kenny's photos on the main page.

Bowkevin, if you are on Facebook, you can see those photos, or post yours there. I press buttons until they show up on the main feed.

Today's SPAM-TACULAR drew 75 Traditional Archers!! SEVENTY FIVE! I honestly think I missed one or two writing them on the sign in sheets, but, all is good. We do know there were a good handful of First-Time "Sticks" attendees today, and they were immediately invited to join folks/groups going out to shoot. The parking lot had license plates from PA, Ohio and West "By God" Virginia. Also, we think there were a few folks from Maryland, or...at least the Somerset County portion of Garrett-Maryland!!

Iffn you shot the course, you noticed we added (or gerry-mandered) a few new areas to traverse and shoot. We are going to work on a connector path from the gravel area to the "pines" area, without folks having to go through the metro-trailer-park!!!! All we need is to get out there with a chain saw or two, or maybe just a really ambitious person driving the quad. Pretty sure a ramming bar could be attached. THe first-time used "flat field" will be incorporated more, now that its upkeep is part of the governing club's plans. That little creek behind the targets reminds us of Denton Hill!

THe Crew really appreciated seeing everyone today... We honestly thought that we might see 40 to 45 folks, and with the call for rain, and possibly flooding affecting some of the roads used to get here, that attendance would be low. But as the cars and pickups kept arriving, it let us know that the efforts setting up the course were worth it.

Next month's shoot, on February 18, is a "regular" 3D shoot. Nothing as SPAM-TACULAR as today is on the agenda. But, that's not stopping anyone from creating their own "inner circle" challenge amoungst yerselves, and taking it from there. Dilly dilly, eh??!!

So, today's done. Time to clean off the snow covered arrows, or just to sit back and anticipate a happy-monday-morning-at-work.

At least yinz did something cool this weekend, if anyone asks!

See ya in February!

22-Jan-18
Nice shoot, Randy..

22-Jan-18
For the first time EVER, youze guys had more snow than we had in Somerset Co. I went expecting a Spring Break of sorts. Didn't even bother with the long johns. Nearly froze my tushie off.

I remember when some feared the traditional archery "fad" would pass. That was over 20 years ago. It is very good to see that trad shooting is alive and well here in SW PA due in part to the efforts of Strictly Sticks. Wow, what a turnout!

Thank you SS for hosting these events!

• Sitka Gear