Jon Stewart 31-Dec-18
happygolucky 01-Jan-19
Jon Stewart 01-Jan-19
ground hunter 02-Jan-19
Jon Stewart 02-Jan-19
14-Jan-18

Missouribreaks's Link

15-Jan-18
It should also be noted that this was the first year that Wisconsin had a youth mentor season and that 12 licenses were sold to infants that were less than 1 year of age. Is that child abuse when a 1 year old fires a weapon that dislocates their shoulder? Because I am sure those licenses were not used by adults................?????

15-Jan-18
I actually do not believe children should be killing and wounding things until they have a total and complete understanding of what they are doing, and why. These can be traumatic events once children understand what they actually did (which may be years later). Spine shots, vocal death, creating orphan fawns, or a leg blown off may eventually haunt some young children. As a parent and grandparent, I see no reason to go there until they are fully understanding.

16-Jan-18
I personally try to look at the bright side of life (happygolucky) and am still very happy with my experiences in the woods. My son and I still see deer and love our time together in the woods and at deer camp just like we do on the lakes.

I'm looking forward to getting to camp some time, hopefully soon, to do some hinge cutting of some cedars. I'll be creating bedding areas while providing valuable browse.

Ice fishing has been pretty good considering the deep cold we've had. Life is Grand!!! Make the best out of whatever situation you have.

16-Jan-18
Of course you are Happy, you are an admitted crossbow enthusiast hanging out on a bowhunting forum.

16-Jan-18
You have the wrong person again Mb. I'll tell you this again for like the 100th time but I doubt you'll comprehend any way. I shoot a compound. My son shoots a compound. I have 2 friends that shoot xbows due to medical issues and I choose to not judge them based on their weapon of choice. I value friendships over a person's weapon. Crazy ain't it?

I have challenged you before and I'll challenge you again to show me any thread where I have claimed to be a crossbow user or state that I planned to use one. I know you will strike out. You just like to spew nonsense and negativity. If you look closely, you'll see that I intend to try traditional gear this year. I have already talked with multiple people on Bowsite about them. I can provide names if you would like but that would not fit your agenda.

Is there a state board on Bowsite where you have not started this doom and gloom thread? I see you have one of the BGF too. It must suck to be so miserable all the time. You should just hunt some time and not worry so much about others. You might still find some happiness in the woods. You should consider selling me your trad gear since bowhunting is dead and it causes you consternation.

16-Jan-18
Right now we are in the transition phase. Many hunters own a modern compound (and still use it), while they are also learning the superiority of the family or friend owned scoped crossbow. They may even own a modern scoped crossbow and a modern compound.... and kill deer with both. With time, both of their weapons will require updating which will be quite expensive. The dollars will go to the more efficient crossbow. During hunting season the now outdated compound will hang on a nail in the garage with the recurve. This is reality guys, simple logic. I am sure many of you will agree from your own past and personal experiences. Vertical, hand drawn real bowhunting will continue to decline. Don't worry, be happy.

17-Jan-18
I figured you would not come up with a post to substantiate your unprovoked shot across my bow that was a lie Mb. That is your mantra though. You simply go from board to board to spew negativity making up stuff along the way.

It really is a shame that you can't find peace and solitude in the woods anymore and that compound and xbow hunters ruin your sits. Your misery wants company but you won't get it from me or many others who still like bowhunting and that drives you nuts. The next time you post anything positive will the first you've done so on Bowsite.

Sell your gear. Sell your land. Bowhunting is dead.

18-Jan-18
Outdated compound ?? Horse poop.......

I have 2 compound bows... both will serve me for a lifetime.... My main shooter I have been shooting for about a decade...

How much more advanced can compounds get ?? Guys are already shooting them out to 80 yards..... next will be putting scopes on them to shoot out to 150 yards......

No thanks..... I'll stick with what I have......

18-Jan-18
MB, Just based on the title of your thread I will say the decline started in the early 70's. When I started bowhunting it was rare to see another bowhunter. When you did it was always a happy smiling affair.

Then came training wheels and the masses.

So you see, your "issue" is a non issue. It is just the way it is.

BTW- I only use the "training wheels" comment for fun. I don't give flying fig what anyone uses as long as they keep it legal.

19-Jan-18
I think there are some differences between the compound revolution and the crossbow revolution. When compounds came on the scene was a time when overall hunting was growing and in many areas deer herds were on the increase. More land was also available to hunters. This coupled with the facts technology such as computers did not compete with our time, youth sports programs were less intense, rural values were more prevalent and hunting more socially acceptable, meant compounds were able to be a very effective archery and overall hunter recruitment tool. A real positive to hunting, archery and game management.

In the above paragraph, none of this is as true during the crossbow revolution. Crossbows are simply another advancement in making killing easy. Crossbows are not a recruitment tool other than moving more hunters from other seasons and into the general archery seasons. No net hunter recruitment, in fact culturally ended bowhunting in the mind of some supportive voters who believed bowhunters hunted the hard way.

19-Jan-18
they have had scopes for compounds for over 20 years, never caught on....

I wish it was in decline, than I would have less competition in the woods, ha ha,,,, come to the UP in the fall, I can assure you, hunting is going full on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Compounds have only been around 50 years, its fun to shoot, and got more people involved.....

Cross bow has been around since the 6th century, still shoots one arrow,,,,,,,,

I like my recurve, but its all good,,,,, my only concern is the mgt of habitat,,,,,, I also enjoy all of my fellow hunters for the most part,,,, we are all truly blessed to live here in this country

19-Jan-18
Yeah but the more guys keep shooting compounds out to 80 yards and beyond.... I'll bet that new and improved scopes start getting used....

21-Jan-18
In the BGF, Mb proposed having one long season with any weapon “I would be fine with one long season, hunt with any weapon you choose. I am certain I am in the minority.” http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=470026&messages=198&forum=36#4524858

That is just what bowhunters need, having guns during the archery season. What a terrible idea and a recipe for disaster. Dumbest thing I’ve ever read on a bowhunting site. The deer herd would be decimated in 1 year. Is Mb (Jimmy James from Montana) really an anti whose purpose on Bowsite is to further divide hunters?

21-Jan-18
lot of anti hunter trolls on the site, so take what you read with a grain of skeptisim

21-Jan-18
Actually happy you are wrong once again. Others stated that with crossbows in the archery season( which you are for) we are heading towards one season. I have no issue with one season, that already happens with several other species, including bear in Wisconsin. I will always get my game with my longbow while you and your friends support crossbows during the general archery season. Bring on one long season, I will always get my animals as I am a real hunter. Enjoy your crossbow!

23-Jan-18
But you said you don't want crossbows in your state..... So why do you support one season.... any weapon ?? I don't understand your reasoning....

24-Jan-18
I would hate one season any weapon,,,,, put the guns in during the rut,,, no thanks,,, I like a simple 2 season , and I continue to shoot my recurve bow, and do not get my undies in a twist because someone else uses a crossbow,,,,, an arrow goes in and a legal tag is filled,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Personally the crossbow is not legal for the late season anyway where I am at, and so they have the early season,,,,,,,, what you guys worry about it is unreal,,,,,

want to worry about something, try the 3rd floor of Frodert hospital in Milwaukee where I was last October,,,,,, see people who really have concerns, and then come here and listen to these petty arguments on bows,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

carry on

27-Jan-18
Wow Mb, even when you are shown what you post in other threads you continue to make up stories and lies. I'm not going to justify your xbow comments towards me because you know the truth and have no recourse other than to continue to make up stories and lie. Are you 12? You are definitely an anti trying to divide hunters. Pretty funny that you claim to be a trad guy from Montana yet post non-stop anti-hunting rhetoric in the WI and MI boards. BIG BEAR has seen your shit in the BFG too and has called you on it as well. You were accused or being RC on the BFG. While RC lied like you do, he was really a hunter and good at it too. Carry on with your lies and we'll keep exposing you with your own words Jimmy James from Montana.

27-Jan-18
Well stated ground hunter!

Anybody that would propose 1 season, any weapon, is clearly not a bowhunter. A shit stirrer, yes. A bowhunter, not a chance.

28-Jan-18
The one season was proposed by others who felt with full crossbow inclusion we were headed that direction for some species. I wholeheartedly agree, may as well have one season. I kill deer now during rifle seasons with a longbow, no sweat of my back. Nice to hear from the guys who endorse crossbow hunting in their camps, and for their young ones. Crossbow huggers!

28-Jan-18
Hunting out in the Rocky Mountains can't be compared to deer hunting in the Midwest....

If you ever deer hunted here in Michigan during rifle deer season... There's no way that you would push for one all inclusive season if you are a bowhunter... Not unless you like seeing the orange army everywhere you go....

30-Jan-18
well full inclusion on the xbow, is a disaster, in my opinion,,,, at least Wis allowed a 3 year study, and now it has come to a boiling point, and this spring will be a vote, on what kind of season, will be for the xbow,,,,,,,,

Misssouri is right Big Bear,,,, it is coming to a point, you do not have a archery season you will have a arrow season,,,, want to bet, they will push for the "air bow",,,,, I would take that bet.......

Point is, MI does not have clear enough stats and data on their deer kills anyway, I have no idea on how they can project anything,,,,,,,

31-Jan-18
GH: Mi too was supposed to have a 3 year study. Remember the free crossbow endorsement? What happened to that? It just went away.

Air Bow: I have heard that at least one Mi legislator is wanting make the air bow legal.

31-Jan-18
I'm Michigan, The money talked.

01-Feb-18
"Nice to hear from the guys who endorse crossbow hunting in their camps, and for their young ones. Crossbow huggers! "

You mean my friend who had a disabled permit prior to full-inclusion? Do you really discriminate against disabled people? I don't. I welcome them with open arms. Keep trolling Mb. You make yourself look lower class with every post. You are quite the anti there Jimmy James from Montana - LOL.

01-Feb-18
If WI ends up changing the season structure, I hope MI would be a quick follower. I would like to see xbows go back to the disabled and elderly only. I think that would be a hard one to win due to all the money. Getting a modified season would be a win though. It will be very worth watching what happens in WI this spring. I think there is a good chance that changes will be made.

Kudos to MI for having some differences in the season structure by not allowing xbows (other than for those with permits) in the UP during the muzzleloader season or late bow season. That was foresight.

02-Feb-18
I agree happy, but what difference does it make during the ML season? that you would have to explain to me,,, the weapon should be allowed during any season a gun is.....

I plan on using one for MI bear this year

03-Feb-18
Crossbows are merely mechanical guns with arrow like projectiles. Should have been included in the blackpowder season, not archery. Disabled hunters a completely separate subject.

04-Feb-18
Absolutely agree Annony Mouse.

13-Feb-18
ground hunter, my thought process of thinking it is good that xbows are not allowed during the ML season is that the majority of people don't hunt the ML season because they don't own one. The ML season is already getting to the 'deer yards' stage in the UP in December and that is why xbows are not allowed in the UP in the late season.

15-Feb-18
Well I hunt the UP during the ML season,,, no disrespect, but unless your up in Houghton, they are far from moving into yards, in southern Iron County..... If that was the case, than the ML season maybe should be shortened,,,,, I have no issues with the xbow, during any gun season,,,,,

I really do not have any issues with the xbow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they do not bother me

28-Feb-18
I'm new to this MI form and was just curious why all the x-bow hate? We are all hunters. X-bow hunters have not increased or deceased the deer harvest during archery season. Are you seeing more hunters in the woods? I hunt in Oakland county and I have not seen an increase in archery hunters. Granted I hunt at least 1 mile from any road which reduces my chances to see other hunters in general. The point of hunting is to harvest an animal the most ethical way possible. If you are proficient with traditional, go for it. If you don't have time to practice but love to sit in a tree while the leaves are falling and a x-bow give you the confidence to harvest an animal humanely. I say go for it. The weapon is only as good /accurate as the person holding it make it out to be. I hunt with a 20 year old Single Cam PSE Cerria and I am only confident with a shot out to 30 yards. In my opinion too many things can happen at a longer distance. Well, that is my two cents. Oh wait, MB it a troll just trying to get people wound up. A real keyboard warrior. I bet that deer he claims to shoot are all 220+" B&C bucks. MB, B&C stand for Boone and Crockett scoring, just so you know for the other sites you troll. Gods speed and may your arrows fly true.

28-Feb-18
I didn't know you could get a mile away from anywhere in Oakland county lol.

28-Feb-18
Like I said, real bowhunting is dying in Michigan, thanks for proving my point.

01-Mar-18
Look up Highland Rec. Great place and I hope not to see you there any time soon.... ;0)

01-Mar-18
Lol I don't get down that way much . Stuck here in the NW side.

02-Mar-18
How do you know what is going on in Michigan .... Missouribreaks ?? Aren't you in Montana ???

02-Mar-18
I'm pretty sure that even if your smack dab in the middle of the Highland Rec Area, You're not a mile from a road..... But welcome to the Michigan forum !! I used to live just north of there by the Rose Oaks County park.... nice area !!

02-Mar-18
Yep, Montana for me now. Lived in Michigan for 22 years, still hunt in the upper and lower but no longer spend most of my time in the midwest. Fortunate to be be able to hunt in several different states, with a real bow and arrow of course.

03-Mar-18
So in other words absolutely nothing has changed for you about bow hunting,, right ??

03-Mar-18
Much has changed in my 49 years of bowhunting. Bowhunters are no longer respected as hunters doing it the hard way, neither are their kills respected by many. Many of you wonder why private access has diminished. My guess is you are too young to know what real bowhunting was like back when we had respect for meeting the bowhunting challenge . Line up your crosshairs and slowly squeeze the trigger, teach your children well....lol.

04-Mar-18
Private access has diminished because it's a pay to play game now. People offer the landowner money for exclusive rights to hunt the property. It has nothing to do with the weapon of choice......

If you want to hunt with a longbow or recurve..... have at it. No one is stopping you.

Why do you need someone else to respect your kill of an animal ???

04-Mar-18
I do not, I was speaking for those enthralled with sharing pictures of kills and buying record books which list scores such as the one you posted on another thread. Sorry it went right over your head.

04-Mar-18
Once again.... what the hell has any of that got to do with the weapon you choose to hunt with ???

Some guys like to post pictures of the animals they kill. Some guys like to have their kills recorded in a record book.... Some don't. That has zero to do with what weapon you choose.

I hunt with a compound bow. Sometimes a recurve bow. Sometimes a rifle, or a shotgun... or a muzzle loader.

Nothing at all has changed about that since I started hunting about 36 years ago.

04-Mar-18
I thought you said more people are leasing now, has that not increased in 39 years? Why are they leasing? In my opinion it is part of the whole cultural change in hunters, and the quest for horn porno at any cost, including bowhunting technology and hunting lease payments. In my youth many midwest farmers who gun hunted themselves also let in bowhunters. Bowhunters killed few deer, didn't compete much for the farmers tablefare. I think that has changed, especially in the last twenty years..... and, even more so now that the former gun hunting landowner (and the kids) crossbow hunt during the archery seasons .

04-Mar-18
The landowners who let me hunt in my early days did not give a damned what weapon I was hunting with.

Why are they leasing now ?? To have a place to hunt. The landowners......?? They realized that they can make some money instead of letting guys hunt for free....

I think you're full of crap. Sorry.

Hunt public land. No one will prevent you from hunting with a longbow there. There's more than ample public land to do that in Michigan...

Or better yet buy your own land and do your own thing.......

05-Mar-18
I never once in my life had a landowner tell me you can hunt my place just because you're a bowhunter....... Either they said you can hunt here (Any weapon)... Or not.

05-Mar-18
Experiences differ.

10-Mar-18
The reality is that the number of hunters overall is in decline.

In the 60's,, Michigan averaged about 858,000 licenses sold. Recent numbers are closer to 600,000. So it would be more accurate in my opinion.... to say there is a decline in overall hunting in Michigan.....

14-Mar-18
Fewer hunters is a good thing. This forum is full of posts stating habitat loss and fewer places to hunt will be our demise. With that in mind and if it is true, to keep hunter density the same we need fewer hunters,.... not the same or more.

14-Mar-18
Why is fewer hunters a good thing ?? Every hunter is a voter. You bitch about the decline of real Michigan bow hunting and then celebrate the decline in hunters numbers. You are just a pot stirrer.......

There's enough public land in Michigan that I could hunt in bow season on public land and never see another hunter if I wanted.... guaranteed. Where I hunt in the U.P. I see very few bowhunters in October. Almost none. That includes compounds and or trad gear and or crossbows......

14-Mar-18
well on a good note, the deer here in western Iron County, are doing real well, and late ice fishing is good

14-Mar-18
Disagree with the premise we need fewer or less hunter's. That a reduction of our numbers is a good thing.

Numbers matter. If fewer people hunt, the voice's of support will not be there (#'s) to speak up when the State Legislators, start to restrict or perhaps ban hunting altogether. As with all politics you need many voice's to speak up / out for an issue as well as the financial support.

With fewer hunter's purchasing a hunting licence there is less money to finance the State DNR's, the enforcement of game laws, the purchase of habitat, the investigative science of determining disease that effects / infects wildlife.

Non-hunting tax payer's aren't going to foot the bill for our hunting or pay for the up keep of State Land. We only need to look and listen to those in power that are trying to give away Federal Land, due to it's so called burdensome cost. Will this ($) become the issue to divest / sell off State Land or Forest ?

IMHO, less hunters is not the answer.

Better education to the non hunting public is essential, getting young people involved and supportive of hunting is another. Supporting political candidates who do not try to give away our public land. Visit our state and national elected representatives to lobby for our position's. Call them out when they fail to respond to our concerns. Support the candidates who support out position.

Clean up our own ranks, call out slob hunters, those to lazy to pack out the garbage they or someone else left in the forest. Report those who damage or steal another person's property. Contact the judge who may preside over the game violation or theft insisting the violator receive the harshest of penalty.

Having less ground to hunt is an issue due in part to loss of habitat, i.e. development of housing / sub-division's, sale of farms, leasing for profit, bad experiences by land owner etc. These are just a few of the reasons why there is less opportunity and more competition for hunting space / areas.

There are many things we can and must do if we wish to be able to continue to hunt.

Having fewer numbers is not going in the right direction.

Perhaps a good look in the mirror is the place to start ?

:^}

14-Mar-18
That's good news !! Unfortunately the NRC doesn't care about deer biology and they use politics to set the deer regulations...... And does will be off limits again this year across most of the U.P.

14-Mar-18
Why do so many hunters whine that the decline of hunting now and in the future is due to not enough places to hunt and habitat loss? Do you disagree with them?

14-Mar-18
There is no right direction, fewer hunters are inevitable. Best to face reality and plan accordingly.

14-Mar-18
And even fewer bowhunters using bows as defined by the P&Y Club. All of my predictions have proven to be correct.

14-Mar-18
I think the decline in hunting has everything to do with the internet....... and kids playing on the computer all day..... There is a decline in sandlot baseball......... pickup basketball games,,,, Football...... and just hanging out until dark with all of your friends in the summer months........ Oh.... and hunting too. There's still plenty of places to hunt if you want to. But a lot less kids want to nowadays.

14-Mar-18
Exactly Buc i 313

14-Mar-18
I agree with you Big Bear.

14-Mar-18
Fewer hunters are inevitable Buc, the trend has been for many years. Not only are there fewer absolute numbers, the percentage who hunt or support hunting is also shifting dramatically..... and cannot at this point be reversed, maybe slowed slightly. The only question that remains is where will it bottom out, and when? The culture of hunting for fun has, and is continuing to erode. With dwindling hunter numbers, why do so many push the need for APR's, claim overcrowding, point creep, etc? Is it the shift of crossbow hunters into the archery seasons, too liberal of bag limits, too little space? Why do hunters continually whine about decreasing opportunity, and yet wish for even more hunters? If you wish for more hunters and support, you should be ok with the decreasing opportunity. Having both increase will no longer happen, not ever in our lifetime, or our children's !

14-Mar-18
Missouri,

I have never whined about to many hunters afield. Nor do I complain about crossbows. I heard the same negative rhetoric when I switched from a traditional bow to a compound 45 years ago. Crossbows are here to stay, just like the compound. If it helps a person continue to hunt or introduces them to hunting I say great.

My biggest peeve is hunters / people trashing the forest / woods. To me throwing garbage out or leaving trash in the woods is kind of like the fellow who cannot lift the commode seat to take a leak. Doesn't seem to be their problem unless they have an emergency but first need to clean up the seat before they can use it :^}

I have lost property to hunt on occasion for who knows ? This said, I know there is State Land, National Forest Land to hunt. May not be my first choice but it is a choice. If I have other hunters in the area I hunt, so be it. I have made some life long friends in this manner. (hunting public ground)

Personally I enjoy being in the woods, my stand or just scouting. I would never begrudge another hunter for doing what I love to do. However I would judge him or her harshly if they were a slob and or did not treat the forest or me with respect.

* ? APR ?

14-Mar-18
I don't think there's a decrease in opportunity at all. I think the exact same opportunities to hunt State land with any weapon exist today as it did when I started in the 1980s...... As far as private ground........ A lot of areas have turned into pay to play........ Leasing. Hunters are willing to pay landowners for exclusive use of their land so landowners are taking the money..... can you blame them...??

14-Mar-18
So either save up enough money to lease or buy land or hunt public ground..... There's more than enough for everyone.... especially with the dwindling hunter numbers.

14-Mar-18
Good posts guys. I wasn't accusing you personally, simply addressing years worth of posts on this forum from many different hunters. Discussion points only.

15-Mar-18
Missouri,

Rest assured I did not take it personally.

In fact I would say thank you for this thread as I am in complete agreement with you first post after your initial link.

I believe a youngster should be taught woodsman-ship, to be stewards of the land prior to hunting.

IMHO, it will serve them a life time

15-Mar-18
I think they should get rid of baiting, but then most of the hunters in the UP would be lost,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I also believe that young hunters should pay their dues, and all the special hunts are not needed,,,,,,,, If I had a young hunter, and I wish I did, now that I am retired, I would mentor, but I would not carry a weapon..... I refuse to mentor over bait piles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Crossbows are a joke, and belong in any gun season, either deer or turkey or bear, but to say they should be full inclusion of the archery season, again is a joke, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A bow should be hand drawn,,,,,,, geesh put some effort into it......

16-Mar-18
Good post ground hunter.

Unfortunately many who claim to be bowhunters on this forum actually are crossbow supporters. They are closet crossbow users, ....buy crossbows for their children, their families, their camp buddies, look for any medical excuse, claim to own one but not hunt with it,.... you know the type. They are closet crossbow supporters and users!

17-Mar-18
What difference does any of that make ?? Crossbows are legal in archery season in Michigan..... The fight against that is long since over. So what exactly are you opposing ?? And what difference are you making by being opposed to them ??

17-Mar-18
Simply confirming the decline of real bowhunting in Michigan. Very few bowhunters will soon be left as crossbow hunters are not bowhunters. Best not to lie to your children and tell them they are bowhunting, when in fact they are crossbow hunting. Proper terminology has its place.

17-Mar-18
You know fella's this is becoming the horse that WAS beat to death. Crossbows are legal period !

My granddaughter, was diagnosed with bone cancer at 6.5 years of age. She has a prosthetic implanted in her arm since (17 yrs). There is no way she will ever be able to pull any type of "vertical" bow, stick, or compound. She loves to deer hunt and has taken several deer with her "cross-bow" I would dare any of you if you had the opportunity to meet her, to tell her face to face she is not a bow hunter. Believe me she considers herself to be a bow hunter and I also consider her to be one too !

It appears to me to many who criticize the crossbow have no since of history !

The crossbow was invented between 500 AD and 750 AD probably by the Chinese, the compound around 1967-68 AD by an engineer named Allen. So I would ask anyone which weapon, crossbow or compound is more primitive ?

* Please note, The crossbow historically has never been referred to as any type of gun. Bowsite, excluded.

Missouri, You do have a long stick

However I have a Big Question ?

Since verbiage is or can be everything defining .

Would I be lying to my child if I told him or her we are not really bow hunting, we are compound hunting ?

Hummmmmmmmm ???

I guess the responsible thing to do is just tell your child,....... "We are hunting " (species tbd)

17-Mar-18
Crossbow hunting for all hunters is legal in many states, and growing in popularity. As defined by the P&Y Club, crossbows are not bows and therefore in states where crossbows are legal for all hunters, bowhunting is in a steep decline. This has nothing to do with crossbow use by people with medical concerns, that has never been an issue.

17-Mar-18

17-Mar-18
With all due respect, there was never an issue for the cross bow, for those that physically need it, so there is no fight there, nor was there ever one......

Gee must be a reason, you can not use a cross bow, in the late season in the UP....

What difference does it make,,,, well Big Bear, watch how your seasons will change, as the popularity continues......

I wish there was a primitive season, but those days are long gone..... The ML season is a single shot rifle season now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I guess I just remember when someone had to put some effort forth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will leave it at that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There are those that just don't get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18-Mar-18
They get it, but they are closet crossbow enthusiasts so you will not change their minds. The days are largely over of raising new bowhunters in Michigan.

Make bowhunting great again, take a child REAL bowhunting!

18-Mar-18
The cross bow guys which is now mostly everyone, usually fill up early, due to the efficiency of the weapon,,,, so late season you have all to your selves which is a nice thing, but weather related as we all know........

18-Mar-18

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
My son and I are not real bowhunters. We both shoot compounds. I will never apologize for that though. Oh, we also are gun hunters and I will never apologize for that either. Lastly, we are not trophy hunters. While I have passed on every buck I've seen on our land since I have owned it (my choice), my son has free reign to shoot whatever he wants and I encourage it.

Let the bashing commence.

My son did not start compound hunting until he was 13 because he was not proficient enough at age 12. Neither of us have ever shot an xbow and I hope we never have to but if the time came and it was the difference between hunting and not hunting, I would think very hard about it. I have 2 disabled friends who shoot them and hate them. They were both awesome with their compounds and now actually shoot less deer. My one friend's son shot his xbow when he was 10 and 11 and now shoots a compound. I think kids in general want the challenge.

buci313, I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter. The "titles" people here place on others mean nothing in real life. There is a poster in this thread who is very low class and does discriminate against the disabled though. He judges people via their weapon of choice while hunting and not via who they are as people. No names are necessary. He'll be posting very quickly discriminating against me and my son for shooting compounds and not trad gear. He thinks he's a better person in life than others based solely on the gear he hunts with. Yes, that is very strange, but it is who he is. He'll accuse me of being an xbow supporter because of my disabled friends who use them and the fact I am still friends with them based on their weapon (not of choice in this case.)

Hunters are the most divided group of hobbyists in the world. Hunters are always further dividing other hunters. The anti's just have to sit back and laugh at all the internal imploding that takes place on every single hunting message board. Bowhunters are the worst IMHO. You are not only belittled on whether you shoot trad or compound, you'll be bashed on broadheads of choice, accessories, size of the deer, ground hunting or tree stands, etc.

18-Mar-18
Congratulations on the deer Happy. Glad you used real bows, real bowhunting....drawn by hand and no scope. Nice bowhunting trophy!

18-Mar-18
Well Happy I have to disagree with you, buddy. I shoot both the longbow and the compound,,,,,,,, There are trad guys, I realize, that are "nuts" on the subject, but really those guys are rare,,,,,,,,,, As for me, I just like to be a good hunter, and help the other guy out when I can............................

19-Mar-18
Real bows as defined by you Missouribreaks. That bow and the compound I hunt with would not be allowed on the range at a TBM shoot...(Traditional)......

I won't try to tell anyone that they are bowhunting if they hunt with a crossbow..... I'll tell them they are HUNTING.....

Why don't you focus on passing down bowhunting to someone instead of spending all your efforts complaining about a fight against crossbows in archery season that has long since been lost......

20-Mar-18
I have no issue with crossbows, you are correct they are legal now in most states. What I have an issue with is calling crossbows part of bowhunting...they are not. It is not too late for the preservation of the terms bowhunting, and bowhunters. Crossbow hunters ARE NOT bowhunters, they are crossbow hunters. One is more challenging than the other and should be recognized as such. Touch football is not tackle football, there is a difference in by who and how the games are played.

20-Mar-18
You are spending an awful lot of time worrying about what crossbow hunters call themselves.... here and on many other areas of the Bowsite.....

20-Mar-18
That is exactly what bowhunting historians do, and should be doing!!!

20-Mar-18
I read somewhere in the thread that bow hunters are not respected for hunting the “hard way”... Everytime I see that I always wonder if the guy typing that uses bait!!! Lol

21-Mar-18
I have baited bear in Michigan, not legal to bait anything in Montana. Even over bait, much easier with a crossbow at 45 yards, than a selfbow at 15.

21-Mar-18
Bow Hunting Historians ?

Historians are generally inclusive of the history that preceded the current point of the history of the subject being viewed. There is no doubt regarding the history of the bow being factual. In order, the long bow, re-curve bow, composite bow, cross bow, compound bow.

Missourri,

Just who are these historians ?

Are you talking about someone who makes their own bow, arrows, knap's their own broad heads ? OR are you talking about re-curve bow hunter or a compound bow hunter, or a cross bow hunter ? :^}

I find it amusing from a historical point of view to hear a repeat (history) of the same comments / rhetoric I heard from the bow hunting community in the late 60's and early 70's. i. e. "it is not a bow, it is a mechanical device, it is an unfair advantage, it will bring too many other hunter's, people who cannot hold / draw a hunting weight bow (40 lbs) If they cannot shoot a hunting weight bow they should not be in the woods, next they will want to use a release" :^}

At my age it is hard to remember all of the negative remarks but those above are just a few I do recall :^}

I'll try to explain my personal reason / rationale for setting aside my re-cure bow and going to a compound. First and foremost my re-curve holding weight was 53 lbs. When the first compounds became available there was about a 12 lb let off at the full draw cycle. My first thought's were "WOW" I can shoot 65 lbs and still hold the same weight (53 lbs) at full draw. To me it was a no brainer, more shooting weight, same holding weight, shoots with a flatter trajectory. Done Deal.

Now I am only presuming the cross bow may give you the same dire feeling as a lot of those who voiced their concerns / opinion's regarding the compound. However, if I take to heart the position you advocate, " Crossbow Hunter's " are not real bow hunters.

Then I must presume that you consider me to be a non-bow hunter as I currently use a compound ?

PUZZLING ?

I am sort of confused here to truly grasp why you object so much to the crossbow ? Will it bring too many hunters into the woods. Will it allow too many hunter's to continue to hunt, there bye decreasing your chances to hunt or be successful ? Does the crossbow shoot to far, is it too silent, is it easier to get through the woods in order to hunt, is it easier to draw / cock.

It seems to me it may require less effort to learn to shoot, to get ready to hunt with, easier to shoot.

This said, isn't this precisely why most "Bow Hunters" today use the compound bow ?

I do not judge not a persons time constraints, physical abilities, or their equipment. I judge them by their desire to hunt, to be in the field / woods and the ability to be a gentleman / lady with other hunter's and the desire to continue to do so regardless of their legal hunting implement.

If this put's me in the minority...... I'm fine with being there.

:^} * brief historical point, "The Compound Bow" brought on the avalanche of modern bow hunters / hunting.

Oh, I remember another negative remark, "it's a fad, it will come and go"

Old age sure taxes the memory

21-Mar-18
Any person or organization interested in collecting, documenting, and preserving history,........ in this case bow hunting. Nothing wrong with that.

21-Mar-18
Buc..... I agree with everything you said. I was right there arguing that crossbows didn't belong in archery season. That battle has long since been lost. It will not discourage me from hunting with my compound... and maybe occasionally one of my recurves.

21-Mar-18
Good luck to all you guys, and thank you for the dialogue.

21-Mar-18
Thank you Missouri, for posting this thread.

I too enjoyed the dialogue very much.

02-Apr-18
+1 BIG BEAR. I have not let others weapons of choice hinder my ability to enjoy my time in the woods, especially with friends and family.

Now I just wish winter would release its tight grip on the north. Another 8+" of snow are supposed to hit Esky this week and the temps don't want to warm. My spring work is going to be very late this year. I'll have apple trees delivered in a few weeks too.

03-Apr-18

Missouribreaks's Link
The trending has been going on even longer in Michigan. Bowhunter numbers and bowhunting continue to decline!!!!

03-Apr-18
Happy can not say about Esky, but they may be ice fishing the first week of May........ late ice for sure......... the ground still frozen solid....... My spring work I know will be off till mid May......... after Florida, where I am going tarpon fishing, I will be in southern Wis chaseing turkeys, in May.........................

I have written off the UP till May 15th

03-Apr-18
I was at our place in northern WI last weekend ice fishing and we had 30" of ice and got around 9" of fresh snow. It gets very cold every night. If the ice holds to the opener, it will impact the Indians' ability to spear and that would be a good thing. I don't think I can get back up to ice fish.

I am really hoping to get trails cut this Thu in Esky but the new snow (up to 10" might hinder that). Last time I was up to camp, the crust on the snow was terrible. The Yotes were all over on my cameras. I had trails cut then too and the machine helped create better walking areas for the deer. Lots of cedar tops hit the ground from my chain saw and the trail cutting.

03-Apr-18
Hey Missouri.... Someone should tell the Wisconsin DNR that they have a picture of a kid with his deer.... and his cocked and loaded crossbow laying on the deer...... That doesn't seem too safe...... and not a picture I'd want on one of my DNR publications......

10-Jul-18

Missouribreaks's Link

11-Jul-18

Missouribreaks's Link

11-Jul-18

Missouribreaks's Link
For toddlers and adults. No more discussion about crossbows being too heavy and bulky.

12-Jul-18
In terms of weapons, there are three deer seasons in Michigan.

1. Firearm

2. Muzzleloader

3. Archery

Like it or not, the crossbow clearly only meets one of those definitions.

KPC

KPC

15-Jul-18
Crossbows are archery, they are not however part of bowhunting. Only real bows are for bowhunting, crossbows are for crossbow hunting. Both can be lots of fun, I prefer to be a bowhunter. Most of my former bowhunting buddies have become crossbow hunters, and now hunt at crossbow camps.

16-Jul-18
"Crossbows are archery..."

Thank you. If we have an "archery" season here in MI, and as you said "crossbows are archery," what more is there to discuss?

We are all free to make our "archery season" experience whatever we'd like it to be, within the law. I choose to use a recurve, others chose to use a compound or a crossbow. Neither have any bearing on how I hunt or what I'd like out of my experience.

KPC

17-Jul-18
seeing a lot of deer, trout fishing, but only one buck, a nice 5 pointer....... seeing very little to no wolf sign..... I always drive FR 16 and the arterials, and this year no tracks in that area........

bugs are taking them out of the woods, but the deer look good. last Thursday I fished a brook trout stream, takes about a 20 minute hike. wow was there the bear sign back there, wish I had a tag, got to get a bait to that spot...... water is 56 degrees, lots of fish, and lots of good healthy deer trails,,,,,,,,,,,

I see no decline in deer hunting as of today

18-Jul-18
Michigan has lost over 50% of it's bowhunters, most to become crossbow hunters. Bowhunting has substantially declined in Michigan, crossbow hunting has substantially increased. Changing times to be sure.

19-Jul-18
yeah I would have to agree with that, crossbows are king in MI, from what I see, but lots of guys still showing up to shoot at Gibb City

19-Jul-18
In my travels on public land I see alot more guys with bows than crossbows. Could the crossbow surge be mostly on private land?

23-Jul-18
Where I hunt in northern lower part of the state , more guy's are using xbows. But this year my local archery shop said compound sales were up. Mainly the Mathews Triax model leading the way.

13-Dec-18
Ive bow hunted since i was legally able,13yrs old,back in my generation. So for 30-31yrs i hunted with a compound bow. Then due to 3 shoulder and 2 elbow surgeries i was no longer able to draw a 40lb bow without shaking n pain..i had no choice but to convert to a crossbow.so my question(s) are pointed to die hard xbow antagonists, i.e.missouribreaks, Should i have to give up a passion my grandfather instilled?one i passed to my son and daughters? Am i less of a hunter bcuz of my choice of weapon now? My money paid for licenses, supplies,bait,etc...are no less/no more than urs.if u had to make the choice of a xbow or give up hunting what would you do? We shouldn't have to b ridiculed or defend our decisions just cuz ppl as urself disagree.

14-Dec-18
Nobody I have seen, including me, has ever advocated NOT allowing those with medical conditions to use scoped crossbows. In fact, I have multiple posts stating such. One should read before attacking.

14-Dec-18
To me, a scoped crossbow user is NOT less of a hunter. However, they are NOT bow and arrow hunters, they are scoped crossbow and bolt hunters. There is a difference, neither is bad.

15-Dec-18
Browncityredneck I have been very apposed to crossbows in general archery season...……..still am but never ever for those that are disabled

16-Dec-18
To me "real bow hunting" is whatever an individual decides it is for them, within the law. If that's a longbow with cane arrows or a crossbow with carbon bolts, as long as it's legal, that decision is up to the individual.

KPC

16-Dec-18
Are guns part of bowhunting, they are legal? How about air bows if they become legal?

No way crossbow shooters are bow and arrow hunters, they are scoped crossbow and bolt hunters. Bow and arrow hunting is in decline.

17-Dec-18
"Are guns part of bowhunting, they are legal?"

No, because they do not meet the definition of what a "bow" is, therefore they are not legal in bow season.

"How about air bows if they become legal?"

See above.

KPC

17-Dec-18
With CWD it is probably better to have more efficient weapons like scoped crossbows in the field. Crossbows may help game managers reduce the deer herd numbers to responsible levels.

17-Dec-18
I have been a bow hunter for 55 years and you bet your ass there is a decline in bow hunting. It started with the compound and went down hill from there. Now we have the crossbow and it won't be long and the air gun will be in the field. To me it just just pure lazyness (EXCLUDING FOR THE DISABLED) to use anything but a recurve or longbow. The excuse, I don't have time is just a lazy one. You do have time, just get out from in front of that TV for 15 to 20 minutes, grab a bow and practice.

I remember my dad saying when the compound came on the scene, "we are our own worst enemy". The mere fact that we are having this discussion proves his statement. Argue all you want but unless you have been there when archery was archery you won't know.

17-Dec-18
Define "decline."

We have more bow hunters than we had pre-compound.

We have more deer than we had pre-compound.

We have longer seasons that we had pre-compound.

Like it or not, it's high time people come to the realization hunting seasons exist for the proper management of game, and hunters are the tools to get that job done. That's it. If you want to romanticize it, fine but that's your choice.

Those in charge of managing the game set the parameters of when, how, and how many of a given species need to be taken. As hunters, we have the right to make our personal hunting experience whatever we want it to be, within those parameters.

Game departments manage at the "macro" level and individual hunters hunt at the "micro" level.

I've been bow hunting for over 40 years so yes, I knew what it was pre-compound. I started with a recurve, switched to a compound for a while, and went back to a recurve over two decades ago. I could use a crossbow, but I choose not to. I could use a compound, but I choose not to. If they make "airbows" legal, I probably won't use one of those either. My hunt, my choice. Your hunt, your choice. As long as my personal safety or the viability of the resource itself is not adversely affected, I have no concern about what someone else wants their experience to be.

KPC

17-Dec-18
There are fewer hunters using vertical bows(bowhunting) in many states, including Michigan and Wisconsin. In states where scoped crossbows are legal for all, there is a large decline in bow and arrow hunters, and an increase in scoped crossbow hunters. Bowhunting is on the decline, archery season hunters may actually be up. The good news for biologists, scoped crossbows might help reduce herd numbers in the face of CWD, that is unless available tag numbers are altered.

17-Dec-18
"There are fewer hunters using vertical bows(bowhunting) in many states, including Michigan and Wisconsin. In states where scoped crossbows are legal for all, there is a large decline in bow and arrow hunters, and an increase in scoped crossbow hunters. Bowhunting is on the decline..."

Ironically, everything that is being said about the crossbow is exactly what was said about the compound when it gained popularity. It was going to be the end of bowhunting as we knew it. It never happened.

In case you hadn't noticed there is a decline in hunters period, and it has nothing to do with technological advancements in weaponry.

" The good news for biologists, scoped crossbows might help reduce herd numbers in the face of CWD, that is unless available tag numbers are altered.

Even more ironic is in one breath you imply that the crossbow will be the death of bowhunting as we know it, and in the next breath you say it might help save deer hunting for future generations.

Interesting.

KPC

17-Dec-18
Nice try, but dumb arguments..... bow hunting and deer hunting are two different things. Many deer are hunted without a real bow. There is a decline in hunter numbers, and where scoped crossbows are legal for all, an even greater decline in bow and arrow hunters. Scoped crossbow hunters are increasing. Keep twisting.

17-Dec-18
Hey earth to mars,,, you can not use crossbows in the UP for late season, unless your disabled......

xbows are not the issue, wildlife science is.... Our biologist have been asking for doe tags, you can not stock pile them in the north.... the UP Wildlife groups have the politicians ears, and shut that down....

last 4 days of ML season, I saw 31 shootable deer, all does,,,,, when will they learn

18-Dec-18
"last 4 days of ML season, I saw 31 shootable deer, all does,,,,, when will they learn"

Take pictures and send them to the NRC noting dates and places. I did it with bears and I believe it helped get the quota up.

18-Dec-18
There is no shortage of deer and scoped crossbows will not alter that. Scoped crossbows are more efficient weapons, but ultimately issued tags govern the harvest. More deer will be killed during archery seasons, which may be good in the face CWD.

18-Dec-18
"There is no shortage of deer and scoped crossbows will not alter that. Scoped crossbows are more efficient weapons, but ultimately issued tags govern the harvest."

While I agree in theory, an issued tag has never killed a deer. Hunters are responsible for that. I started the seasons with three tags. A combo tag and an antlerless permit. None of them have been punched, and not because of a lack of opportunity.

The DNR has a job to do and that is manage a deer herd based on an underlying set of goals. They will keep expanding seasons, methods, and weapons until their goals are reached. It really is as simple as that.

KPC

18-Dec-18
KPC, I greatly appreciated your non-anger/emotion driven and open-minded viewpoints. You have been spot on in every comment and have not twisted anything. Well stated.

I bought 2 out of state tags and am still holding them by choice. I haven't punched any of my expensive out of state tags in the 4 years I've now owned my land in the UP. My weapon of choice (compound and gun) has no impact on my decisions or my fun in the woods.

18-Dec-18
Thanks Happy.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's been my experience that regardless of the topic, emotions and facts tend to be inversely proportional.

If you don't mind me asking, was not punching a tag on your land in the UP by choice? If so, would you mind sharing why?

KPC

18-Dec-18
Well I can tell you our biologist, in Iron County, will not say it, but I will. she is completely right, lets have wildlife science instead of political science, and that is the reason, of the over population in the western and lower area of the county. I hope we have a mild winter, otherwise, a lot of waste, will be in the woods

18-Dec-18
KPC, I have not punched my tags for multiple reasons. First, my family would never use more than 2 deer in a year. I want my son to take the opportunities that he's presented with. Secondly, while I am really not pro-APR per se outside of the combo tag rules, I choose to let younger bucks live. That said, I have only had 1 buck in my sights that I wanted to kill but was not presented with a shot in the 2 run-ins I had with him.

It would not hurt to take more does off our land but I won't kill what I won't consume. My son and I each have a doe tag and he still has one of his combo tags left and I have a buck tag. We'll be back up for one last go of it after XMAS before the season closes. He killed a buck this year with his bow and the goal is to get a doe. He gets the 1st day and then I might let an arrow go if I get an opportunity. If the doe population was low on our land, I would not even buy doe tags.

18-Dec-18
Gotcha. Makes total sense to me.

I have chosen not to take any deer from my land as deer numbers have been steadily declining over the last few years. My land is surrounded by thousands of acres of public land and it tends to get hunted pretty hard. If I had an opportunity on a decent buck I would take it, but I've chosen to let the few does I see walk in the hopes that they will provide some fawns the following year. Not sure it does much good, but that's what I choose to do.

I usually also have opportunities to hunt other pieces of private land in the same county, so I usually apply for a an antlerless tag in case that opportunity presents itself, but even my go-to doe areas are showing much fewer deer.

It's an interesting time in my area for sure and with the CWD situation I don't see it getting much better any time soon.

KPC

18-Dec-18
My response was to the heading of the thread, decline of real hunting in Michigan. Real hunting ended the minute the compounds were allowed to be used. I used one for a few years and found them way too easy to use even as an instinctive archer. I see a deer at 20 yard or closer I just shot it. It took all the fun out of hunting. That thing hit the scene and the decline started. It makes it way too easy and if some hunter can't hit a deer with a compound they go to a crossbow. The decline of real hunting.

18-Dec-18
Wow Jon, something tells me that millions hunters who use a firearm would disagree with your definition of “real hunting.” After all, if shooting a deer with a compound is way too easy, what does that say for shooting a deer with a rifle?

Furthermore, I wonder what the condition of the deer herd, as well as their their habitat would be like if the only weapons allowed to hunt them were recurves and longbows?

KPC

19-Dec-18
Can someone please define for me what "real hunting" is? I think the guys out west have one up on us here in the Midwest.

If a guy stalks a bull elk for days in rough terrain out west and finally gets within 15 yards and shoots it with an xbow or compound, is that real hunting?

What about the guy who climbs mountains for a week+ to get within 100 yards of a sheep/ram and kills it with a gun, is that real hunting?

If a guy sits in a ground blind and has 2 gallons of corn in front of him waiting for a deer to come to him and he shoots it with a recurve (any weapon actually) while it is eating, is that real hunting? What if someone uses an artificial scent remover in their blind or stand like Ozonics to mask their scent, is that real hunting?

If a dog chases a bear into a tree or the bear has his head buried in a box of donuts and someone shoots it with a compound, is that real hunting? What if it were a recurve?

I'm guessing that gun hunting is not real hunting ever given when I read.

If I wear modern camo that has been washed in scent killer soap and then sprayed in scent killer spray versus wearing a loincloth like our forefathers, would that be real hunting regardless of weapon?

Someone please help solve the confusion here.

19-Dec-18
#1 Folks this is an archery site and I responded to an archery question. You can toss guns in here if you want but is has nothing to do with the OP's question. Happy, a good mountain hiker does n't make them a good hunter. Just makes them a good hiker.

19-Dec-18
Kevin, put the crosshairs on a deer at a hundred yards and pull the trigget ain't nothing but target practice to me. My $450.00 scopes cost more than most guys rifles. I sit two days and have had enough. Only sit with one of the grandkids. Flint locks and recurve are a thing of the past anymore.

19-Dec-18
Exactly, this was about the decline in participation of bow and arrow hunting, not gun or scoped crossbow hunting.

19-Dec-18
Scoped crossbow hunting is actually on the increase in many states, not in decline. Keep twisting and shouting.

19-Dec-18
I still have not seen the definition of "real hunting."

Jon, what about the questions about a guy killing a deer from a blind with it eating corn or the guy killing a bear with its head buried in a box of donuts? Is that real hunting or just target practice and does it matter if the weapon of choice is a compound or recurve? Fair chase has to come into play in the equation somewhere. This is an interesting topic.

19-Dec-18
"Kevin, put the crosshairs on a deer at a hundred yards and pull the trigget ain't nothing but target practice to me. My $450.00 scopes cost more than most guys rifles. I sit two days and have had enough. Only sit with one of the grandkids. Flint locks and recurve are a thing of the past anymore.

That's great Jon, and you and I have every right to make our hunt everything we want it to be. When we start to judge someone else's hunt on what we want your hunt to be, then it becomes something else all together.

There are a number of methods and tactics that I don't happen to have any interest in, but rather than tell the people that are interested in them that it isn't real hunting, I just chose not to participate.

I don't use a flintlock, but I do use a side lock, and I also use a recurve. There are still many of us out there. I just don't happen to believe that it needs to be all of us.

Yes, this is a bow hunting site but bow hunting doesn't exist in a vacuum. It is (in all it's forms) part of an overall management plan which includes all forms of hunting, and combined they are designed to achieve certain goals. To suggest otherwise is to completely misunderstand why modern day hunting exists.

Lastly, I think this bears repeating. If everyone was only allowed to hunt the way you seem to enjoy hunting, our deer herd and the habitat in which it lives would suffer tremendously.

KPC

19-Dec-18
You guys don't like my response to the PO's question, not much I can say about that . I gave my opinion. I am not trying to tell anyone how to hunt as long as it is legal. I enjoyed archery and hunting starting in the 60's and unless you guys have done the same you will probably never know what "real" archery was like. The good old days have been taken over by a got to have it now society.

19-Dec-18
Real "bow hunting" is hunting with a "bow and arrow". Not sure how "real hunting" is defined.

19-Dec-18
I used the term "real archery", excluding the word hunting because I shot tournament back in the 60's. Just wanted to clarify. On any given weekend in Michigan there would be 10 to 20 tournaments going on across the state. Now you might find a few for the whole year in todays archery world. In the Muskegon area alone we had 4 archery clubs. One of which was Hoffmaster State Park before it was a state park. That club was called Port City Archers. My brother has the original club sign. It is going to be hard for the non believers to understand.

19-Dec-18
Actually Jon, you said "real hunting"...numerous times.

"My response was to the heading of the thread, decline of real hunting in Michigan. Real hunting ended the minute the compounds were allowed to be used. I used one for a few years and found them way too easy to use even as an instinctive archer. I see a deer at 20 yard or closer I just shot it. It took all the fun out of hunting. That thing hit the scene and the decline started. It makes it way too easy and if some hunter can't hit a deer with a compound they go to a crossbow. The decline of real hunting."

At the end of the day, "real bowhunting" or "real hunting" or "real archery" is whatever someone decides it is, based on the accepted laws/rules/definitions that govern such things.

Whether you, I , or anyone else likes it or not, a compound as well as a crossbow meet those things.

KPC

19-Dec-18
I did but that response was to my post when I referred to "real archery in describing tournament archery. I wanted to include the entire sport which of course wondered from the OP's heading. You are correct, what ever is legal is OK. You will never know what is used to be like tho and that is a shame. "Got to how it now" has taken over not only our youth but some of the older folks also. I know Kevin that you are a stick bow shooter.

19-Dec-18
"You will never know what is used to be like tho and that is a shame."

Come on Jon, you talk to me like I just started shooting a bow last week. Since this thread is about bow hunting, let's just look at that...realistically.

When I first started bow hunting in 1975, Michigan boasted a deer herd of about 750,000 deer. Now, with all the new seasons, new fangled equipment, and easier immediate gratification methods, our deer herd is twice that size, and that's down from what it was a decade ago.

Go back about ten more years to 1964, and Michigan had 46,000 bow hunters and they took 2800 deer for about a 6% success rate.

Fast forward 50 years to 2015, Michigan had about 320,000 bow hunters , who shot 110,000 deer, for a success rate of about 34 percent — well over five times the rate of 1964.

Bow hunters had a 77-day season, more than twice as many days as the archers had 50 years ago.

Yes, things have changed, but they needed to. It's not perfect by any means but in many parts of our state, we still can't (won't) kill enough deer to keep them within the carrying capacity of the habitat.

You seem to be avoiding this so I will bring it up again.

What do you think our deer herd and habitat would look like if bow hunting seasons, strategies, and equipment still looked like they did 50 years ago when bow hunting was "real?"

KPC

19-Dec-18
No, I talk to you like you don't know what the 60's were like because you don't. Plain and simple you were not there. You started when the compound arrived and the shoots dwindled down to almost non existant. You may write a good paragraph but you never experienced pre- compound times. So you really can't write on it

Hunting would be much better than it is now. (Is my guess)] But how will we know for sure. Stats will prove nothing but a maybe or a guess.

20-Dec-18

K Cummings's embedded Photo
K Cummings's embedded Photo

K Cummings's Link
You're jumping all over the place Jon. So now we're talking about shoots? I thought this was about bow hunting? I can't help that you may not like the archery culture today, but it is what it is.

What you are saying reminds me of an actual conversation I had with a client the other day. I don't remember how it came up but he was lamenting the fact that when he was a younger, every town seemed to have a roller rink. As a matter of fact, his first date, as well as his first kiss, with who would eventually become his wife of 60+ years was at the roller rink. When roller blades came along, that all changed. Roller skates and roller rinks have virtually become a thing of the past, but they gave way to an entirely new culture and industry and a whole set of new participants.

No, archery and bow hunting might not be the way you or I remember it, but things have a tendency of evolving both out of desire and necessity. Archery and bow hunting is no different.

Heck, in the sixties it wouldn't even be possible for all the people on this thread to even be having this conversation. But along came computers, the internet, cell phones and tablets and lo and behold here we are.

Lastly, there is a difference between speculation and fact. The statistics I posted from the sixties are facts. For a variety of reasons (mostly logging and agriculture) deer populations literally exploded between the 60's and the early 2000's. In order to at least attempt to keep them in check, the DNR was literally forced to expand opportunity in any way they could. Despite longer seasons, younger ages, more efficient weapons, and more liberal tag availability, many believe we still aren't killing enough deer to keep them within the carrying capacity of the habitat.

When I was a child, my Dad used to pull the car over if we even saw a deer. It was truly a majestic and exciting thing to see. Less than 10 years ago deer were so thick, we couldn't even have an ornamental plant around the house because the deer would eat them down to the ground, often in broad daylight, with people going abut their business around them.

When deer populations are allowed to expand like that (which is what would happen if we only allowed what some consider "real hunting" to take place) we start to see problems with disease, habitat destruction, personal property destruction, and a whole host of other negative things including and most importantly to the herd itself.

Sure, you might have great hunting for a while, until habitat destruction and disease cause the herd numbers to plummet like they had fallen off a cliff.

At the end of the day, the DNR has a job to do and that is to make sure that about a third of the deer population is harvested each year.

Ironically, if you look at the chart, bow hunter numbers took a big leap with the advent of the compound bow, and have remained more steady than firearm hunters by far. Yes, part of this is due to crossbow inclusion, but even so it's a good thing it has or deer hunting in Michigan, as well as the herd itself, would be in a world of hurt.

We can pine for the good old days and what once was, but at the end of the day when you take the emotion out of it, the facts speak for themselves.

You are welcome to have the last word on this one Jon. As I said before, in my opinion when a discussion or debate turns emotional, there is no sense in continuing it because at that point facts don't matter.

KPC

22-Dec-18
I love late season in the UP, and I think deer hunting is great. when I started in 1966 I saw more bucks, but than again, there was little pressure, from a lot of things. Anyway, there is nobody in the woods, at least the public I hunt. I see deer just about every time I go out, and they always thrill me. I do wish I had a doe tag, maybe next season.

deer are really on the log jobs, wow

24-Dec-18
I was surprised to see deer moving around my place this late usually they push south. However after the snow melted off they moved back in. My little alfla was quite the meeting spot never seen atleast 5 deer a day just never caught up with the big boy how stayed coming in a night. Deer looked super healthy.

27-Dec-18
Deer really look good and a lot of them,,,,, so far the winter is in their favor..... the snow machines well they got to travel north yet,,,,, my wife is complaining but not me...... I want a mild winter for them deer............................

27-Dec-18
It’s still very early though

29-Dec-18

Missouribreaks's Link
LOL

29-Dec-18
"LOL"

What's funny is the notion that the ATA's concerns are for anything other than industry profits.

From the linked article:

"The statistics are worrying the Archery Trade Association, which represents the people and companies who manufacture and sell archery gear, including crossbows. At its April meeting, ATA board members voted to reconsider their anything-goes stance on crossbow technology and to consider reining them in."

Of course they're worried, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with what is or is not "real" bow hunting.

The ATA is a not a hunting organization, it is a trade organization that is predominantly concerned with maintaining industry profits.

From the ATA website:

" The Archery Trade Association is the organization for manufacturers, retailers, distributors, sales representatives and others working in the archery and bowhunting industry. The ATA has served its members since 1953. It is dedicated to making the industry profitable by decreasing business overhead, reducing taxes and government regulation, and increasing participation in archery and bowhunting. The organization also owns and operates the ATA Trade Show, the archery and bowhunting industry's largest and longest-running trade show worldwide."

And from an article in Arrow Trade Magazine:

,"Comments from retailers and a distributor on the board also indicated anecdotal evidence that crossbows are not serving as a gateway to other forms of archery. Since little practice is needed to stay proficient with them, that can hurt sales of arrows, releases, sights, and many other accessories that retailers depend on to stay profitable."

Make no mistake, I am in no way against maintaining and increasing profits, but the ATA's concern is not about what affect crossbows have on the "real" bow hunting culture. It's all about what affect they are having on the customary archery shop's bottom line.

KPC

29-Dec-18
Fear of shortening bow seasons ??? Hell,,, With CWD,, The NRC is more likely to make deer hunting open all year round with a thousand deer per hunter limit.....

30-Dec-18
This is a bow site, but some (OK, maybe one) are infatuated with xbows and can't stop posting about them in many threads on many boards.

30-Dec-18
I agree Happy but uunfortunately in my state of Michigan they are condidered archery equipment. It's Bowsite.com, = "crossBow".

31-Dec-18
Jon/Missouribreaks:

Serious question.

How has the inclusion of crossbows in Michigan's archery season affected the way you personally bow hunt?

Be specific please.

KPC

31-Dec-18
Can I answer that for ME Kevin ??

The gun hunters in the U.P. (The U.P. Whitetails Assoc.)....argued to the NRC that crossbows are making it too easy to kill deer in the U.P.,,,, So they argued that does should be off limits during archery season . The deer biologists said that was not necessary. Yet the NRC gave in to the gun hunters and outlawed does across much of the U.P. They further sided with them that crossbows are too easy, and outlawed crossbows in the late Archery season (When very few people are still out hunting anyways).......

So,, Thanks to gun hunters that used the crossbow argument as leverage,,, I haven’t been able to legally shoot a doe on my property for several years.

31-Dec-18
It hasn't affected me in any way because I don't allow them things on my property. Unless you are disabled.

31-Dec-18
"It hasn't affected me in any way..."

They haven't affected me in any way shape or form either Jon. My bow hunting is the same post crossbow as it was pre crossbow, which is why I don't choose to get my shorts all in a bunch about something that simply doesn't my hunting in any way.

Simply put, I don't like them, never owned one, nor do I anticipate ever owning one. In terms of my bow hunting, they don't exist.

BB:

It is my understanding that the no antlerless situation resulted from severe winter kill and was simply an attempt to allow the herd to rebound. You are welcome to make the crossbow the boogie man, but I don't happen to believe it had that much of an affect on the decision.

I haven't shot a doe on my property either. Not because I couldn't but because I chose not to. Deer numbers in my area are down and I just can't see taking a doe and exacerbating the problem.

KPC

31-Dec-18
I’m just passing on what was told to me by the lady deer biologist.... There was never a recommendation from the DNR deer biologists to outlaw does in the U.P. in order for the herd to rebound after a severe winter.

31-Dec-18
Kevin.... If you dispute that the U.P. Whitetails Association argued to the NRC that crossbows are too easy to kill a deer with,,, Then why do you think crossbows are illegal in the late Archery season in the U.P. ???

31-Dec-18

K Cummings's Link
I'm not really disputing anything BB, I'm just expressing my understanding (based on what I've read) as to why the DNR was attempting to protect antlerless deer in the UP.

"Due to a decline in the deer population in the Upper Peninsula and concerns by hunters, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources’ (DNR) Wildlife Division brought forward six potential regulation options to be considered mid-cycle during the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) meeting that took place on May 7, 2015. These options were discussed, and the NRC narrowed its consideration down to two regulatory options for discussion and potential action at the June 11, 2015 meeting. At the June 11,2015 meeting, the NRC decided to eliminate the antlerless option during archery season for hunters using a deer or deer combination license in the U.P.

I still don't see where the inclusion of crossbows in MI has affected your bow hunting.

For whatever reason, the DNR is protecting does in the UP during archery season, whether you use a longbow, a recurve, a compound or a crossbow.

Seems to me the anti-crossbow people would be applauding the limiting of them in late season.

Lastly, nobody that I know of ever disputed that shooting a deer with a crossbow is easier than shooting one with a compound. So what? Most people think that shooting one with a compound is easier than shooting one with a recurve. And most people think that shooting one with a recurve is easier than shooting one with a selfbow.

KPC

31-Dec-18
Wait until a few people here in the know check in on the UP Whitetails input on this issue..... and feel free to call the Michigan deer biologists yourself.... I did. This decision went against the recommendations of the DNR deer biologists......

31-Dec-18
The deer biologist I talked to on the phone candidly told me that the decision to outlaw does in the U.P. had nothing to do with the deer numbers; And that is was solely a political decision by the NRC in response to lobbying by the U.P. Whitetails Association...

My research tells me that the U.P. Whitetails Association is primarily a gun hunting organization........ When crossbows were being debated to make legal statewide..... They lobbied that crossbows would have too big of effect in the U.P. They further lobbied that if crossbows were to be made legal;; That does should be outlawed across the vast majority of the U.P.

I firmly believe that the U.P. Whitetails Association wanted to outlaw does in the UP to archers regardless of crossbows. But they used the legalization of crossbows as an excuse to get the NRC to further their agenda........

31-Dec-18
My shorts are on OK. But I can still have opinion on crossbows and the lazy hunter that uses them. Will you take the same stance when the air gun is allowed. And they will be allowed down the road. Opinions are like debate and debate is what get laws and rules changed. I will forever believe the downfall of archery and hunting was the compound. I would support the 1st two weeks of bow hunting as a quiet season, recurve and longbows only.

Actually when the smoke clears with my wife's health I am going to call and make that suggestion. Won't go anywhere but I am going to put that idea in some ones mellon.

31-Dec-18
Hunting aside Jon,,,, prayers out to your wife and you. God bless.

31-Dec-18
I am just trying to have fun on here and stir it up a bit. Been sitting in the hospital with my bride for 11 days now with no end in sight. All this crap is really meaningless at this stage. Thanks for your kind thoughts BB. Have a Happy New Year everyone

31-Dec-18
I saw your post on the Leatherwall Jon. Sending prayers and good vibes your way.

31-Dec-18
Prayers for you and your wife Jon.

31-Dec-18
Hope all goes well with your wife Jon. Makes all these things seem rather meaningless in comparison.

Happy new year.

KPC

31-Dec-18
Thanks Kevin. How true. It is a struggle to leave her every evening but they told me it isn't real healthy for me to sleep in her room every night.

01-Jan-19
Jon, I just read this about your wife. Our little hobby is meaningless in the big scheme of life. Life is all about family and friends. I don't know the situation but I am passing on prayers and well wishes to your wife and family.

God Bless and Happy New Years everyone (regardless of your weapon of choice :) )

01-Jan-19
Thanks Happy. Chris had a donor from Germany bone marrow transplant 3 weeks ago. She is going thru severe pain from the bone marrow growth. Been in the hospital for 11 days now but we may be able to get back to the transplant house in a few days. We have to stay here 100 days past transplant day. Puts us into the end of March. Thanks for your prayers. Your right, all this fun on here is meaningless.

02-Jan-19
I will keep her in my prayers Jon, at daily mass when I go.... You may or may not know, but in 2017 Gods hand touched my surgeons hands, and gave me a little more time,,,,

God Bless you and your family

02-Jan-19
Thanks Mike They have mass in the hospital everday. She felt good enough to go the last two days.

• Sitka Gear