raceguy 25-Jan-18
mrelite 25-Jan-18
smarba 25-Jan-18
raceguy 25-Jan-18
HDE 27-Jan-18
bow-hnt 03-Feb-18
21-Jan-18
What strings do you use?

So I am getting a new string on my bow this week and decided to go with the ABB Premium strings, I did so because the bow shop recommended them, from what I have read the servings are supposed to be excellent and zero stretch on the string.

I shoot a D-350 so I went with a speckled red and speckled silver color and for no other reason then it matches my bow.

22-Jan-18
I usually pick up strings when 60x is running a sale. Hard to beat that price. Though I do want to give jbk a try sometime.

22-Jan-18
Vapor trails , great string. Can you show us a pic?

22-Jan-18
Abandoned 60X last year and had a set made by a custom guy up in UT.

Next set I get will be GAS Bowstrings.

23-Jan-18
I’ve purchased two sets of strings from Johns Cystoms, Breathn on archery talk. You have to wait awhile but it’s worth it. Best sets I think I’ve ever bought.

My personal experience, I’ll never buy another set of 60x. I had to put numerous twists into my string and cables to get them to correct length. They also will not do any speed nocks or shrink wrap due to a B.S. liability claim. These nocks and the correct placement do play a part in your bows speed rating. They also do not serve the length of string that makes contact with your bows stock string suppressor.

It’s an absolute ripoff to buy a set of “custom strings” and then have to do the finish work on them yourself.

23-Jan-18
I have experienced poor workmanship in served loop ends and other serving. When I asked, I was told they switched loop end serving material because it worked better as a "generic" fit for a wide range of bows. It was almost like dental floss tape.

Had them sitting around for about a year then put them on. Went through 2 other control cables then took them off entirely and put on the strings I got from a guy in UT (always like to have a spare set laying around...).

23-Jan-18
Agreed Shaft, for the money it costs for a set they should make the string per specs to the bow, speed nocks, stop serving, and length should be perfect. JBK doesn't include speed nocks in their initial price which when added makes their strings about the same price as others, don't know if they actually install the nocks but it said 8 bucks per nock.

Gas strings look good and everything seems included, Whenever you get them HDE let us know how you like them.

I get my ABB strings today so I will let you all know what I think. I am having some concerns, I picked the premium set which was to be BCY X, so the shop shows me actual string color samples and I pick two out. A few days ago I decided to look at the BCY website and it seems that the colors I picked are only available in 452 X and 8125 so now I am thinking which one is being used on my string, I find it hard to believe the shop would show me colors that didn't apply to the Premium strings category, I am fine with the 452 X but I am definitely not okay with 8125, so I will find out what the heck is going on this morning.

23-Jan-18
I have gotten 2 sets from Jamie Shaw Twisted Archer on AT. He tweaked my set to be different than stock length to accommodate different cams. Super servings, did all the extras that Shaft refers to and good pricing.

It is being discusson on the main forum regarding string colors. Jamie says that everything except black has more dye in the fibers and is slower. He claims that the vivid colors can be as much as 3-5 fps slower. Fastest would be all black, next would be black/brown, then everything else is gradually slower.

Jamie also clarified Shaft's issue with the speed nock/shrink wrap thing. Apparently even though guys have been adding them to strings for years, someone (I believe it was G5 the maker of speed buttons) filed a patent on it a couple of years ago, so in order for the bigger name companies to add speed nocks they have to pay a royalty. The smaller guys fly under the radar and usually are willing to install them.

23-Jan-18
I've had speed nocks on strings before G5 introduced speed buttons.

They can't own a concept, they can only own the design and its application. Can they?

23-Jan-18
I won't be able to try GAS for at least a year or so. The string and cables on now don't even have 100 arrows shot yet.

23-Jan-18
HDE I don't know the details, just hearsay. But what I was told is even though guys have been adding brass nocks w/ shrink wrap for a long time, there wasn't a patent on that system, so someone patented it and now anyone that does it should pay royalties. It's not cost effective to go after royalties to a small string maker, but the big guys are kept from doing it.

I'm guessing that's why a smattering of slide on do-dad alternatives are present from various bow manufacturers now.

23-Jan-18
Interesting about the speed nocks, I wonder who it is that has the patent.

Smarba, I imagine the cams completely changed the length of cables and strings, did you have to send the bow to him to get your strings tweaked for the different cams? Is making strings Jamie's business or is it on the side work? I have a bow that has different limbs and cams and Pearson just gave me their best guess at the string and cable lengths, I have never been able to tune it.

It turns out that my new ABB string is made out of 452x which is fine, the only bummer is that I had to leave the bow and will have to go back tomorrow.

23-Jan-18
The Nitro Speed Buttons work well and preferable as they are easy to adjust. Put 20 grs worth on each end (no nocks to start with) 1/2" from the cam and picked up 6 fps.

It doesn't matter, but it does ;^)

24-Jan-18
Mrelite: in my case the cams didn't change things very much, so based on how much twisting I had to do to get tuned, Jamie estimated how much shorter to make the cables so that I wouldn't need so many twists. I don't know for sure if Jamie is full-time string maker or not. I just emailed him about a new set and waiting to hear back.

HDE: That's sort of my point, we do things to sqeeze out 6fps (in your case speed buttons), but then for nothing but looks, put a bright colored string & cables and lose perhaps the same amount. To be clear, I've never tested that, but it's what I've been told. Black/brown fastest strings; everything else slower and slower as the colors get more vivid.

25-Jan-18
I'm now curious, what are the natural color of strings prior to being died? Anyone know?

25-Jan-18
Off white or cream I believe

25-Jan-18
Has to be black, otherwise black wouldn't be the fastest color due to being lightest weight. Assuming that statement is true of course.

25-Jan-18
Turns out you are both right, from the BCY website:

"Is there any difference in the string diameter of colored bowstring compared to natural or black?

Answer: In any individual Bowstring material, all colors are made from the same size raw material as black or natural. To achieve solid colors, particularly the fluorescent ones, it is necessary to use more color pigment during production. This can increase the diameter of the finished bowstring strand. But remember, the basic uncoated string is the same size.

It may be necessary to reduce the size of your center serving if using fluorescent colors; or even drop a couple of strands to get your preferred nock fit. Of course, different bowstring materials are different sizes."

27-Jan-18
Well, all I know is that BCY X Black and Mountain Berry are "lightening fast", when speed buttons are added anyway :^)

03-Feb-18
Vapor trail!

• Sitka Gear