jstephens61 31-Jan-18
Highlife 31-Jan-18
1boonr 31-Jan-18
jstephens61 01-Feb-18
Highlife 01-Feb-18
JRW 01-Feb-18
25-Jan-18

Deebz's Link
I got this email from the DNR...thought I'd throw it out here for you all to see... I'll try to attach the link to the registration as well

CONSERVATION ALERT!!

Register TODAY for Upcoming Farm Bill Forum—

Jan. 31, I-Hotel, Champaign, IL

The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP), in cooperation with the Illinois Conservation Foundation (ICF), has scheduled a public forum entitled 'Illinois Sportsmen's Guide to the 2018 Farm Bill.' The purpose of the forums is to help sportsmen, private landowners, and fellow conservationists learn about federal Farm Bill conservation programs that are important to the future of fish and wildlife habitat, water quality, and soil health in Illinois.

According to an analysis by the TRCP, if Congress fails to re-authorize these important Farm Bill conservation provisions in 2018, Illinois stands to lose up to 900,000 acres of wildlife habitat enrolled in programs like the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), and more than 16,000 acres of hunting and fishing access funded under the Farm Bill through the Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP). Farm Bill programs also affect downstream water quality in Illinois rivers, lakes and streams.

“The 2018 Farm Bill will have a big impact on Illinois,” said Eric Schenck, executive director of the Illinois Conservation Foundation. “This forum is a chance for conservation interests to learn what is at stake and how to make their voices heard in Washington, D.C.”

The following Sportsmen Farm Bill forums are open to the public:

Wednesday, January 31, 4:30 – 5:30 pm, I-Hotel, 1900 South First Street, Champaign, IL

To register for a Farm Bill forum and to download a copy of the “Illinois Sportsmen’s Guide to the 2018 Farm Bill”, go to www.ILCF.org.

25-Jan-18
Thanks for the heads up. My club could find this useful.

25-Jan-18
Welcome

25-Jan-18
Are these 900,000 acres, public or private?

25-Jan-18
I assume it's anything that's enrolled in CRP...most likely private. You can bet that anything that is in CRP currently will get plowed under and planted if the farmers don't get that payment next year though. I really believe that any acreage designated for wildlife benefits everybody, regardless of public/private... I think the 16000 acres of access is the program that pays private landowners to allow public access to their ground as well...

25-Jan-18
Amazing......then they are prolly leasing to an outfitter. Sorta doubling their money. In return they are allowing 16000 acres to be hunted by the public, or just a little more than 1% of the total land they are getting paid to not plant. Then, additionally, getting paid to allow access to the 16000 acres. That statement alone, makes my head hurt.

I do agree that acreage designated to wildlife is beneficial to all but at what cost. Hell, most residents don’t even have a place to hunt. Those are our tax dollars they are getting for CRP, CREP etc. and you can’t get permission to hunt, because its prolly leased. I hunted Illinois for more years than I care to remember, and have killed some fantastic critters, when permission could be gained by knocking on a few doors. I guess it’s not Kansas anymore. Heck, Kansas isn’t even Kansas, anymore. LOL

25-Jan-18
Damn I just love NR hunters telling us how screwed up everything is. Here's an idea hunt somewhere else.

26-Jan-18
They are moving elsewhere Dave. Haven’t you heard, we have no more deer in Illinois.

26-Jan-18
BINGO!

26-Jan-18
Ssshhhhh I have a tip from a friend of a friend thru his third cousin Indiana is the next new "Hotspot" for horn don't tell anyone you heard it from me

27-Jan-18
No 'new' programs being offered right now. CRP etc. I was told yesterday at A S C Office. Pay for boarding 'some place' and most 'state & federal' and 'some' Private Land is open to non-res hunters. Still some big bucks in Illinois ..... outfitters aren't necessary for most areas 'not-leased'!

30-Jan-18
Reading this thread , I was wondering if illinois has what Wisconsin has . Wisconsin has a plat book for each county showing all the land and land owners in that county . This book also shows who has open hunting on their private property . The reason there is open hunting on private land is because an agreement the landowner has with the DNR. This agreement is that the landowner pays very low property tax in exchange for allowing open hunting on their land . This open hunting let's people hunt their land without having to ask for permission .

I was wondering if illinois has this ? And I agree with earlier post , it doesn't matter if the land owner has it leased to outfitter. The land is open to all hunters.

If anyone has any info about this , please share .

Thanks everyone

31-Jan-18
I don’t know of a open hunting area plat book. Word of warning, don’t hunt on property without gaining permission. Have a few leased farms in this area, but not as many as a few years ago. Lower taxes is a joke. If you own hunting ground in Illinois, it’s classified as recreation and taxed at the highest rate. You have to be tough to live here, they beat you up a every turn.

31-Jan-18
They sure do fellow tough guy ;)

31-Jan-18
You can reduce your taxes drastically by enrolling in timber stand improvement program so that shouldn’t be an issue

01-Feb-18
There’s more to it than signing on the bottom line. Did it for the 15 acres around the house.

01-Feb-18
Yes there is. We had to come up with a detailed comprehensive forestry plan. And this year we have to go at the process again.

01-Feb-18
Lucky,

That program in WI is the MFL (managed forest land) program. There are two levels of this program: open and closed. Closed MFL lands are closed to public recreation and get a small tax break. Open MFL lands are open to public recreation and get a much larger tax break. this, of course, is private land. To the best of my knowledge, IL has no such program.

• Sitka Gear