dakotahunter 26-Jan-18
sdkhunter 26-Jan-18
steve hay 27-Jan-18
Brown E 27-Jan-18
DR 28-Jan-18
sdkhunter 29-Jan-18
DR 29-Jan-18
26-Jan-18
Just thought I would post something quick for my fellow SD bow-hunters to see if you have any thoughts... I've got 9 years of PP's in WY and after a lot of looking at units/draw odds/trends/etc - I'm thinking I may as well try and draw a hunt and get in the game since some of the other units I was checking out it's obvious I won't draw in many more years - I'm thinking why not draw a good looking hunt now?

I'm leaning towards a type 9 bighorn unit (I can go over more in PM's/email if desired) that I think should be a good hunt - pressure and early crappy weather/snow being my primary concerns....

I won't be in this position point wise in WY again so thought I would see if any of my fellow SD bowhunters have any other thoughts recommendations as the deadline looms just a few days away! PM's always welcome!

26-Jan-18
I'd try to pull unit 38. You're right on the edge points wise but it's doable.

26-Jan-18
I have 8 points in WY and kind of feel the same way. Not enough to be sure of anything but enough to make sure I use them wisely. From the people I've talked to 38 would be a good hunt.

26-Jan-18
Thanks guys!

Yeah I hear ya dakotahunter! You going to try and draw this year? Feels like the longer you wait to draw and more preference accumulated - the more pressure keeps building!! I like the BigHorn units because of course being from SD - I can actually do some scouting on a long weekend or two on at least the trails/roads/terrain/etc - which has often times been logistically a challenge with my out of state hunts.... My palms almost get sweaty thinking of applying - ha ha :-) Guess in some ways I'm glad it's taken 10 years. Not that I'm the worlds best hunter but I've come along so far in my archery hunting abilities and especially elk hunting knowledge in the last 10 years - I really feel like I'm 'ready' now (even though I thought I was - I wasn't ready 10 years ago) - if that makes sense... Still gotta draw and then I can worry about tipping the scales with some luck in the field!

27-Jan-18
I can help with unit 7. I have hunted (scouted) it several years and will likely never draw the tag again. Although not the "top" unit it once was is still OK. Key seems to be getting on public land via private ground. I too would use up my 9 points if I had them. PM me if you choose 7.

27-Jan-18
I have 10 points and am thinking of unit 1(Black Hills) next year.

28-Jan-18
sdkhunter/Brotsky, I'm a couple years behind you guys but I'm drilling down on the northern and western bighorn units myself. I think 35-41 all have great possibilities depending on where you are at with points and whether or not you want Type 9 or care to get a stamp and possibly hunt later with a rifle (option in some). Huntin Fool has some decent info but GoHunt.com drills down a bit further in areas (if accurate). I'm likely banking another year or two to get some more elk knowledge as you eluded to. NM last year and Idaho for sure this year.

29-Jan-18
DR - a lot of options out there for sure depending on what you want... One thing to keep in mind with many of the Bighorn units - several of the units, the only way to hunt during archery is drawing a type 9 tag - several of them don't allow any archery hunting without that type 9 - so just make sure you 100% verify what unit you are looking at... I know a guy that got burnt by that (not reading his regs enough and drew and during the research found out when talking with a game warden he couldn't hunt during Sept with his bow)

29-Jan-18
sdkhunter, yes I saw that in my research. Certainly makes a difference when weighing preferences for a hunt. Obviously being bowsite, I'd like to hunt 2nd half of September for sure. Good luck to both and post pics and a story of your efforts.

• Sitka Gear