New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
wes 01-Feb-18
Shaft2Long 02-Feb-18
smarba 02-Feb-18
wes 02-Feb-18
AlleninNM 02-Feb-18
01-Feb-18
My daughter just moved to Albuquerque from Wisconsin to go to school. I would like to mix in some hunting when I come to visit her. What is the closest huntable population of javelina to Albuquerque? I would be looking at DIY on public land or possibly private for a tresspass fee. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

02-Feb-18
Well, there must be some javelina about an hour South of Alb because I've a couple of dead ones on the highway between Socorro and the San Antonio exit. People also claim to see them at the waterfowl refuge as well.

Only time for hunting them is Jan. for bow and I think Feb. or march for any weapon.

02-Feb-18
Ditto Shaft: over the years I've seen dead ones along I-25 between Socorro & T or C. That said, I've poked around a little and not seen a live one in that area. The "main" populations are farther south in NM. Although even in the "good" draw areas down south I've had limited success in locating the little buggers.

Bring your bow, buy a tag and get out and start enjoying the desert, can't hurt!

02-Feb-18
Thanks for the response guys. I will be coming down in October and maybe do some scouting then. Plan on coming back in January to hunt. Beautiful country you have down there.

02-Feb-18
If I were going to hunt Javelina in New Mexico and was not going to be hunting one of the southern units, I would buy the over the counter bow only javelina tag, which is good from January 1-31. I would then bring my shotgun and go quail hunting somewhere between Socorro and Truth or Consequences. That way I could get some quail while not seeing javelina. And if I did see javelina, I could easily get my bow from the truck and go shoot the javelina.

• Sitka Gear