illibowhunter 09-Feb-18
bb 10-Feb-18
jax2009r 12-Feb-18
bigbuckbob 12-Feb-18
Will 12-Feb-18
bb 12-Feb-18
09-Feb-18

fishstu's Link
I live in New Haven directly opoosite the Quinnipiac Meadows Preserve and watch the duck hunters, who only hunt there maybe 5 times a year in bitterly cold weather. There are no safety issues at all - DEEP has got their regulations right here.

That area is public land and should be shared by ALL including minority groups such as like duck hunters. Hunters can not afford to loss more public hunting land.

Open link to vote.

Quinnipiac Meadows Duck Hunting

09-Feb-18
I moved up here from Virginia in 2007. I have been hunting and fishing since I was old enough to walk. I deer Hunt, turkey hunt, bear hunt, and duck/goose hunt. My wife and I got into a somewhat heated discussion the other day. I cannot stand the way this state panders to anybody who is against someone else doing something perfectly legal. Before you know it, you won't be able to duck hunt anywhere in this liberal state. What the state ought to do is take all these whiners out to a range and show them how far bird shot goes. I'll be the volunteer and I'll stand away about 200 yards and let them fire a couple of rounds my way and after I don't get touched then I am going to walk back to these whimps and tell them to go back to their palatial estates and suck it!! After I cannot wait till I reach retirement age so I can hit the door running. At least she agrees with me on that!!

Tim

09-Feb-18
Serious question. How far does shot go? Buck shot would go pretty far - unless it hit stuff (obvious). But it's almost always shot level to down, so little worry. A shell of 5's or 6's or 4's, shot up at a 45 degree angle... just checked a few boxes of #5's "for sale" via various web sites and saw numbers as high as 1300fps (surprised me, figured it would have been lower). Ill go with 1000 since a few were lower. So that would suggest that so long as the initial angle the shot was made at was sufficient to overcome gravity, they ought to make it at least 333yds - very hard to believe given those speeds, that #5's would hit the ground in 1 second even if shot horizontal to the ground given initial velocity is close to or over 1000fps. Point being, #5's at 3-400yds would likely loose most of the initial energy, and be well wider than expected (they fly wider until stopping) and unlikely to be where you intend them to be (in a duck/goose), so while it's really unlikely that they are an issue 200-300 yds away, they could be.

That said, 500 foot set back coupled with responsible shooting - knowing whats beyond your shot and never shooting towards a home/road/building etc should make this a none issue.

All that said, I'm no firearms expert. I just was curious thinking about how far shot would potentially go - given during duck/goose hunting a lot of shots are at a pretty solid upward angle. Curious what the balistics would be if any of you guys have that info?

People need to relax. It's just folks bird hunting people. It's almost like the folks that buy houses next to an airport and then file law suits due to the noise! Ugh.

09-Feb-18
My vote is in.

09-Feb-18
You can't use Buck shot for Waterfowl hunting. Steel shot BB is the largest you can use in CT and the range is pretty close. I would say with an up angle, you would be hard pressed to get it to go 100 yards. Other shot like heavy shot or tunxten matrix the largest size you can use is 2, that will have a longer range, but most people I know when shooting in tight areas, use steel in smaller sizes like 3 or 4 you would expect the shots to be closer anyway.

09-Feb-18
I don't hunt them but voted No . Every time they win they go for more restrictions to try and destroy our sport and tradition of game management .

09-Feb-18
Lymans 4th Edition Shotshell Reloading Manual lists maximum ranges of the different size pellets on page 132.

At 1200 FPS a #7 1/2 will travel 237 yards horizontally, and a #8 will travel 230 yards.

Standard fallout distance requirements recommended by the NRA Shotgun Range construction manual is 300 Yards.

10-Feb-18
That's with lead shot

12-Feb-18
i was goose hunting the Milford Marsh this weekend....you could barely hear the shots about 600 yards away....

12-Feb-18
I was waiting for my car to be serviced this morning and came across the article in the paper about the people complaining about the hunters on the Quinnipiac River. Seems like the state is siding with the hunters on this one, but who knows what will happen.

12-Feb-18
Illi - that's interesting, and makes sense. So, if one is legal for waterfowl and using steel, does that REDUCE the range given it's lighter per size?

12-Feb-18
The range of steel is substantially less than lead, also those ranges are taken with a 30 degee up angle. This is easy to see, just shhot steel shot out across calm water sometime, you’ll be surprised at The short range

• Sitka Gear