longbeard 11-Feb-18
Bigbuckbob 11-Feb-18
kent 12-Feb-18
bigbuckbob 12-Feb-18
Ace 12-Feb-18
kent 13-Feb-18
CJD437 13-Feb-18
09-Feb-18
Hi there! I am having a very hard time making sense of all the information I have been reading up. I was hoping to hunt for spring turkey, but have read very mixed reviews about state land and where to hunt. Does anyone know any forests (not secret spots, just areas) where I could try to get my dad to drive me to to scout? It would have to be within 30 min of North Branford (near North Haven). Thanks!

09-Feb-18
I don't hunt down in that area, but the birds are just about everywhere. Best advice I can give is to look at the harvest report showing how many birds were taken in different areas and then pick an area then get out and do some scouting. After a snow fall allows you to look for tracks but going out a few weeks before opening day and do some calling right at sunrise and listen for birds gobbling. I'll take a look at the different areas and let you know where I would try. Hopefully some of the guys that hunt that part of the state will have some ideas.

09-Feb-18
You may want to attend the Turkey Seminars that the state offers. Lots of good advice from experienced turkey hunters. If you are shotgun hunting, you can even pattern your shotgun.

09-Feb-18
There are pieces of Cocksponsett State Forest in Guilford just north of route 80 and also some in Madison. Lots in Deep River and Chester. I've killed lots of turkeys there.

09-Feb-18
Good turkey hunting in sections of cockaponset in deep river, into clinton, killingworth and westbrook. Also chester and Haddam

10-Feb-18
Newbie - give us some background please. How old are you and have you done any hunting before, turkey or otherwise? Going to the seminar is great advice. If you're interested, I'd be willing to meet up with you prior to the start of the season and do a bit of scouting with you to show what to look for and how to call. It's a lot of fun. Cat and mouse type of hunt.

10-Feb-18
Bigbuckbob Sadly, I can't drive yet so I can't do my own scouting, but I would absolutely love to go scouting with you. This will be my first hunt. My dad isn't for or against hunting, but just doesn't care for it. My uncle from Ohio will hopefully take me this year.

10-Feb-18
Ok, so you're younger than 16 right? Let me get back to you. I'd still be willing to do some scouting with you. I would need to discuss with your parents first of course to make sure it's ok with them

10-Feb-18
...and under 16, you would have to hunt with a licensed Hunter 18 or older. Once you are 16, you can hunt alone.

10-Feb-18
Does CT do the "Youth Spring Hunt" they do up here in MA. Cool program - kids connect with adults via this MDFW program run out of sportsmen clubs - so experienced hunters take the kid and the kids parent (if desired) turkey hunting to help them learn the ropes. If CT does that, Newbie, it's worth a look.

If not, Ace's point to check for state seminars would be great.

Last point, after hearing gobbles today, I can say they are starting to do it a little... But better, wait till mid-late march, and then get your dad to drive you round state land areas near you in the evening, as sun disappears and darkness is starting, and owl hoot or blow a silent dog whistle. You can get "shock" gobbles in response to those sounds to help you learn where some birds are hanging out.

May help you choose a spot, and have fun with your dad too.

11-Feb-18
That shouldn't be a problem Brian, Bob is way older than 18...Lol

11-Feb-18
I've been 18 over 3x times already. There's something real exciting about standing on a ridge at sunrise and hearing birds gobble in the distance. Love it.

12-Feb-18
You might try Quinnipiac river state park along the parkway in North haven. Good luck

12-Feb-18
Quinn River state park appears to be archery only.

12-Feb-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
There is Youth Season/ Hunt. And they can hunt all day, (something we should get by next year).

13-Feb-18
www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/.../map408.pdf

Bowhunting for deer only all other hunting seems OK--

13-Feb-18
Newbie, Im the VP for the State of CT NWTF and I would be glad to help you. PM me with your info and I will call you. The turkey seminars are a fantastic way to start. I should be speaking at at least 1 of the seminars. Chuck D

• Sitka Gear