pappy 21-Feb-18
pappy 21-Feb-18
buc i 313 21-Feb-18
ohiohunter 21-Feb-18
buc i 313 24-Feb-18
BowtechArcher0880 24-Feb-18
buc i 313 25-Feb-18
12-Feb-18
On a previous thread the question asked, what happened to this site ? A valid question for sure.

This said I thought I would try to kick start the site this year.

Just a few questions for we Ohio, bow hunters ?

Do you plan to introduce a youngster to archery ? If so, to teach him / her to be proficient ?

12-Feb-18
I have no such plans even though I own some very good SE property and have a 17 year old son. He prefers to play basketball and lift weights rather than go hunting, cant complain about that.

12-Feb-18
My 22 year old is now showing an interest in hunting. He is now preparing for next years bow season. He has always enjoyed helping to track and drag out deer but never hunted. There is so much I’d like to help him with but there is also so much he has to learn on his own. It’s going to be fun.

12-Feb-18

BowtechArcher0880's embedded Photo
BowtechArcher0880's embedded Photo
I’m currently getting my 11 yr daughter envolved. Joined a bow club been shooting indoor and pan to 3D. She shows interest and telling friends. Hope to have a great summer. She’s been hunting and really wants to go everytime I do. Shows decent patience and most have all we have a blast together no matter what we are doing. Thanks buc for the kick, hope it works. Lol

13-Feb-18
Looks like we're started but still in neutral. Not to hijack but here goes... As mentioned above i have some very good deer hunting property {Morgan Co.} i could use some help on a regular basis about every two weeks during the summer months especially with cutting grass in exchange for hunting/cash. Small push mower not nearly enough, brush hog or tractor is overkill. A Scag 36" or 48" walk behind mower is what i have used for the last 20+ years . Takes me 2.5 hours to cut everything. 4x4 truck is a must, driveway can be tricky when wet. Anyone that can haul and spread stone for me is a big bonus.....great opportunity for the right person. PM's only

15-Feb-18
Great to see the youngster's getting involved in archery and hunting.

Well done parents !

Our Ohio, forum friends must be field dressing their deer and still out in the woods ?

:^}

15-Feb-18
I was thinking they are shed hunting buc.

15-Feb-18
My 2 daughters (10 and 6) are so so on hunting interest.....they will go because they like to go with me but not yet to where they ask me. Hope to keep them interested and hope they pick up some more interest.

16-Feb-18
Got the grandson started at five,now he is 16.now marching band and working takes up lots of time.

19-Feb-18
Well since enough time has passed for those not responding to the "Kick Start".Surely they must be "draggin" a big one out of the woods by now.

Should we heat up the skillet with some bacon grease , cut up some onion's, have the salt and pepper handy for the deer liver they are bringing in ?

20-Feb-18
i have run ranges for my scout leader for about 25 years. introduced hundreds to archery. great place to start.

20-Feb-18
Right now I have no plans to introduce a child to archery/hunting. I have in the past and will in the future if asked. However, I do think that demand has met or exceeded supply in the hunting world so I am not looking to increase hunter numbers for the shake of increasing numbers. I can not help them with the very important challenge of where to hunt. Just like new restaurants can open up and do well they can find places to hunt mostly by displacing others. Whether it is public or private land there is a good chance that someone is hunting it. I think that if the demand ever drops more people will take up hunting. I see efforts to gets kids and women into hunting that that is often done by taking away from existing hunters. To me creating opportunities does not mean making it easier for one group to displace another. Therefore, I will encourage my kids and grandchildren to hunt with me but I will only help others if they reach out to me and understand that finding hunting opportunities will be a challenge.

20-Feb-18
I agree rawdawg, a great place to start.

How about you fellow's / ladies out there with girls in scouting or not ?

Might not be to difficult to get an archer to come to teach the young ladies or fellow a sport they can enjoy for a lifetime.

21-Feb-18

pappy's embedded Photo
2015 archery my granddaughter age 13
pappy's embedded Photo
2015 archery my granddaughter age 13
my granddaughters first bow kill at age 13

21-Feb-18

pappy's embedded Photo
my 14 yr old grandson with his first bow buck 2015
pappy's embedded Photo
my 14 yr old grandson with his first bow buck 2015
my 14 yr old grandson first bow buck

21-Feb-18
Wow !!!

Pappy,

Way to go in getting your grandchildren involved. Looks like two lifetime hunter's in the making.

Congratulations to both of those fine and handsome hunter's. Great pics,

21-Feb-18
Nice buck! Hell of a beard for 14 too, puts mine to shame!

I've noticed the people I've introduced to the outdoors have always seemed to chalk it up as an experience and move on.

24-Feb-18
If you decided not to shoot a deer or did not have the opportunity to do so, do you consider this past season a good one ?

24-Feb-18
Any season I make it out to try and see or shoot a deer i consider good. If I see and shoot I say it’s a great year. Been extremely lucky to have a good year the past 23 with some great years In there and Look forward to lots more. How do you feel about it buc?

25-Feb-18
My feelings precisely BTA 0880,

I do not need to harvest a deer to have a good or great season. I had 2 very nice Buck's, this past season very close to my stand. A 2.5-3 year 10 pt buck (130 ish) at 8 yards for about 5-6 minutes or so. It was neat watching him do his thing trying to entice a doe he was trailing. Had another Buck (150+ at 25 yards for a couple of minutes but he did not present an opportunity for a shot. A disappointment but a thrill for sure. I saw another big buck big rack at about 75 yards. Obviously no shot opp there. So a resounding yes to a fine season !

Like you I do need to shoot just for the sake of shooting to have a good, a great or a fine season.

I known for a long time now that "Tag Soup" isn't so bad once you leave EGO out of the recipe.

• Sitka Gear