spike78 12-Sep-18
archer756 13-Sep-18
Blatch 13-Sep-18
Petcontain 14-Sep-18
spike78 15-Sep-18
archer756 16-Sep-18
hammer 24-Sep-18
15-Feb-18
Folks. Just curious about what(if any) are the requirements for wearing flo orange while hunting in New York?

Thanks....Bob

16-Feb-18
There are no orange requirements for anyone 16 and older in NY. I believe 14 and 15 yo youth hunters and their supervising adult must wear some form of orange when big game hunting.

16-Feb-18
Everyone that I gun hunt with wears orange , common sense. But nobody that I know of wears orange while bow hunting.

18-Feb-18
With many hunters per square mile makes sense to wear it during gun season in the Southern Zone. But it’s not the same in the NZ. I know of no one who wears it during rifle season in the Northern Zone. Most hunting accidents are self inflicted. Wear it if it makes you feel more comfortable, but IMO hunters that need to see blaze orange to ID targets, should not be hunting in the 1st place. Statistics prove that states with mandatory BO requirements have as many or more hunting accidents than NY.

18-Feb-18
Never wear it and never will, as stated it has not been proven that it cuts down on shooting accidents. The way I look at it is, why give someone something to aim at!! Shawn

19-Feb-18
Thanks for the info folks.

09-Sep-18
The arguments against wearing blaze orange during gun/ML seasons are indefensible, absurd, and contrary to common sense. Hunters who don’t wear blaze orange are more at risk. For example, in 2010, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife reported that in the past 20 years, 81 percent of victims in vision-related hunting incidents were not wearing hunter orange clothing. And of course deer are color blind. Further, it's hard to quantify the "almost accidents/tragedies" that were prevented by folks wearing blaze orange. I'd really welcome a cogent argument against wearing hunter orange. The argument above that folks don't need to wear it because "hunters that need to see blaze orange to ID targets[] should not be hunting in the 1st place" is illogical and, in fact, supports the argument in favor of blaze orange. Excerise good judgment and common sense - wear blaze orange. It could just save your life (and perhaps already has).

09-Sep-18
Must agree that it should be a choice, should be worn during firearms season and anyone that says a blaze orange hat and gloves doesn’t make you safer either has little hunting experience or is just being stubborn. Why do you think that wild prey animals are colored in a natural camouflage and why do you wear camouflage when turkey and bow hunting. Statistics show most people shot were not identified as people. Blatch is 110% correct.

11-Sep-18
1st, hunting is one of the most safest sports, with or without BO. Needing BO to ID as a person. You just proved my point, if they could not 100% ID their target without BO, why did they shoot ?

11-Sep-18
I think we would all agree that there are people hunting in the woods with guns that should give up hunting and take up golf. In a perfect world BO shouldn’t be needed, unfortunately we are far from perfect world. Why they shot only matters to the investigators after the shot, not the unfortunate guy or gal that got shot.

11-Sep-18
quote: "I'd really welcome a cogent argument against wearing hunter orange." How about the FACT that states with mandatory BO have no significant differences in the rates of hunter shootings than those without. NYS accident rate is actually lower than some mandatory states. Where it if you want - I do most of the time. But not decked out head to toe. If I was that worried about getting shot, I'd stay out of the woods.

12-Sep-18

spike78's Link
Here are the stats right here for NY. Yeah I’d wear orange during gun season. I’m guessing if the woman walking the dog was wearing orange then the hunter would have known the dog was not a deer.

13-Sep-18
Just a note that have notice that BO is no longer being used on construction sites. The color now being used is Blazed Lime Green. BlG can be seen much better than BO. This color shows up when the trees change color. Have taken survival class from the gentleman that wrote the USAF class and he also says BO is wrong color. What color are the trees in hunting season. Just another note that most all bicycle vest or shirts now are BLG.

13-Sep-18
Wow, I'm astonished by the folks that continue to debate whether blaze orange reduces risk and injury. SteveBNY, you don't provide any cogent argument at all. In fact, there is nothing factual about your conclusory statement. Ironically, however, you admit you wear it "most of the time," so I presume you believe it reduces risk. And Spike78's link regarding 2017 NYS hunting accidents hits the nail on the head, providing in relevant part: "[f]urther examination of the 14 two-party incidents, said the DEC 'reveals that 11 (79 percent) of those victims were not wearing hunter orange. This indicates that not wearing hunter orange increases your risk of being involved in a two-party firearm incident.'" And the arguments that folks that can't distinguish between a deer and human should not be hunting are simply non-senisical. Again, that logic, and the fact that hunters consistently misidentify humans for deer, supports the use of blaze orange. It's sad that there is even a debate. I suppose these same people would argue that seat belts and bike/motorcycle helmets don't save lives or prevent injury. I digress.

14-Sep-18
No debate here, it is called Natural Selection. The smartest survive.

15-Sep-18
Years ago I was shotgun hunting in MA and saw what looked like a deer feeding on a bush. I raised my gun up with finger off the trigger and scoped the deer but it looked like a deer but at the same time didn’t. Finally after a minute the deer stands up to be a guy no lie wearing brown coveralls with a white rag sticking out of his back pocket. He had a white bucket with him so I assume he was picking mushrooms or berries. Had I been someone else he may have been shot wearing what he was. Orange would have left no doubt.

16-Sep-18
Spike what on earth would someone during hunting season do a something stupid like that. Just need to take the time as you did to check out.

24-Sep-18
I don't wear my orange while hunting from my tree stand but ALWAYS wear it when im recovering my deer ! Had some knucklehead last season launch an arrow my way while walking down the path at sunset .Guess I looked like a 6' deer walking on 2 legs...

• Sitka Gear