deerslayer37 20-Feb-18
8point 20-Feb-18
scentman 20-Feb-18
woodsman 23-Feb-18
deerslayer37 26-Feb-18
deerslayer37 26-Feb-18
SaddleReaper 26-Feb-18
20-Feb-18
Any thoughts on the management of the deer heard in western NY? My archery deer hunting seems to be much, much better than years back, with seeing more bucks and larger bucks. But gun season it seems to be worst, opening day is best, then the next weekend seems good. Anytime after that my deer sighting drop way off. Alot less hunters in the woods, along with the large amount of private land unavailabe to hunt. Just my 2 cents.

20-Feb-18
Here in the finger lakes agriculture has a good deal with what you experience during deer season. Also, the habits of people on adjacent properties. As an example, when our neighbors, who were a brown and down group sold their woods to some non-hunters, deer were huntable well into season although corn harvest changed their movement.

20-Feb-18
Where I live in 9H deer are very abundant and healthy... I do believe the buck doe ratio needs some adjustment though. Come shotgun the deer go into hiding mode... they are scarce then... private plots is where they go.

23-Feb-18
John, I think deer hunting overall is much different than it was many years ago. The days of gangs, drives, property access, and hunting from the ground are long gone. I don't see the number of hunters that there use to be most property is now posted and the hunters that are out in the woods are in tree stands and not moving the deer around like they use too. Years ago when I was a kid everyone hunted for meat and didn't care what kind of buck they shot. A spike was considered success. Now everyone worries about what a buck scores and putting in food plots for bigger antler growth. they are letting a lot of the smaller deer walk and holding out. Deer management has changed but private owners are managing their own properties as well and depending on your area and how many nieghbors are involved I think you will notice a difference. I would have to look at the stats but I feel like archery season is much more popular and the numbers are up compared to many years ago.

26-Feb-18
Woodsman your rite, times are changing. With the cheap priced ladder stands now, everyone that hunts has them. They sit tight and nobody moves till 10am, then they head back to camp. Not like the old days when you had to bring 2x4 out into the woods and build our deer stand. Just seems bow season is very good now and gun season seems worst. Deer numbers seem pretty good where i hunt in 9W, there always seems to be a large amount of 1-1/2 year old bucks and a few nice 120-140 class bucks.

26-Feb-18
Woodsman your rite, times are changing. With the cheap priced ladder stands now, everyone that hunts has them. They sit tight and nobody moves till 10am, then they head back to camp. Not like the old days when you had to bring 2x4 out into the woods and build our deer stand. Just seems bow season is very good now and gun season seems worst. Deer numbers seem pretty good where i hunt in 9W, there always seems to be a large amount of 1-1/2 year old bucks and a few nice 120-140 class bucks.

26-Feb-18
IMO WNY deer hunting/ management is about as good as you're going to find in NY. Having cut my teeth hunting in Oswego county, the hunting in Livingston and Monroe where I spend most of my time now, is eons better, especially if we're talking bucks. Age structure, trophy potential, growing conditions and hunter mentality all seem to favor a healthier more balanced herd.

With that said I live a mile due east from where I hunt but on the opposite side the Genesee river, and the balance/ buck to doe ratio of that local herd is WAY out of whack. It seems some landowners have a serious problem and either aren't able to handle it, aren't in favor of shooting does, or simply don't realize the issue. Example: just the other day I counted 82 deer in one field and nearly all were doe- fawn pairs. Before anyone says its typical winter herding - even during velvet the same field routinely has 50-60 deer and usually only 5-10ish are yearling bucks or 2.5yr olds.

Every area differs, but IMO the herd structures are better from what I've seen in WNY compared to other areas of the state.

• Sitka Gear