horsethief51 03-Mar-18
Vonfoust 07-Mar-18
horsethief51 07-Mar-18
Vonfoust 08-Mar-18
horsethief51 09-Mar-18
horsethief51 10-Mar-18
RC 11-Mar-18
20-Feb-18
UBP will be back at the Erie Show the first weekend in March with a place for kids to shoot and members to renew or sign up for the first time. We will have the annual commemorative patches.

20-Feb-18
Meet your new Regional director Nick.

02-Mar-18

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Kids can shoot some arrows at balloons.

02-Mar-18
Hi Nick. Thanks for giving kids the archery opportunity. Why should I join the UBP?

Hey, now that you mention it, who's my regional director? Used to be I worked with the guy... and we never even talked about it, and that was during the crossbow debacle, and concerted effort... moreso on my part than his :^) but I digress...

No seriously. All joking/sarcasm aside. Why should I join again? (that's not necessarily directed at you Art). And I'm serious.

03-Mar-18
You probably wouldn't make it thru the rigid background checks and screening process Jeff. LOL.

03-Mar-18
Nick is not a bowsite guy so he is not going to to chime in here. He is a high school teacher who started an archery club and NASP program in his high school. He will be busy the next 2 days with the help of some honor society students and other ubp member teachers at the show showing kids how to shoot. He will be glad to explain and talk to anyone who stops by the booth.

03-Mar-18
I invite everyone to go to our web site by clicking on the little keystone icon on the right side of the thread page and read. I am getting ready to go to an eagles lead poisining seminar in a while to see if they are going to try to convince sportsmen to stop shooting groundhogs that get eaten by eagles who swallow the lead bullets that somehow miraculously do not penetrate the groundhog and poison the birds.

03-Mar-18
I guess that someday we will be reduced to bowhunting only, then no hunting at all. Do steel bullets work in flintlocks? Sorry but my idle mind wonders being retired and all.

07-Mar-18
What did you find out on the lead bullets?

07-Mar-18
Pretty interesting info. Some states have a spike in documented lead poising of eagles and other raptors when firerms deer season starts. PA is not one of them. This speaker thinks the birds here are eating ground hog carcusses that are left laying. I did not believe that any of the ground hogs I ever shot had a chance that any lead (cores) stayed in one. She showed xrays of deer that looked like they were shot with #9 birdshot. They were not. The lead was fragmented pieces of the lead core of a jacketed bullet.

In a nut shell, they are asking hunters to bury or stuff dead ground hogs in their holes or put them in thick brush. Birds find them by sight, except for buzzards, who can smell them. If you want to go a step further, bury entrails of harvested animals.

Humans are not getting lead poisoning from eating game.

Call pgc if you see a bird on the ground acting drunk or having a blank stare, especially if they are not standing over food.

This speaker works at a rescue center near Saegertown off of RT. 79. She married into a hunting family and is not an anti hunter.

I can try to find some websites for you.

08-Mar-18
Not necessary. I can look them up as well. Interesting stuff. I know some groundhogs I've shot over the years had to have some fragments. Been so long that I can't remember which bullets we were using for .22mag but they expended all their energy in a groundhog. Never an exit. Amazing performance, hog never moved. I know some of my .204's would fragment quite a bit and my Dad's .220 Swift as well. I have to think that some of those fragments were left in the carcass.

09-Mar-18
They had an xray of an eagle with a fragment bigger than a .22 in it in its G I tract, obviously swallowed.

10-Mar-18
Thanks for sharing Mike. Did they say that was a juvenile bald eagle, less than 2 years old? Birds with high levels usualy do not make it. Always knew you were a good guy.

11-Mar-18
Mike you are a good man. ^5

• Sitka Gear