New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
Weekend Warrior 22-Feb-18
Darrell 22-Feb-18
Weekend Warrior 22-Feb-18
Darrell 23-Feb-18
Weekend Warrior 25-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
Has anyone drawn and hunted Marquez WMA during the August bear season? Trying to get an idea on what to expect.

22-Feb-18
Nope, but I have fond memories of driving up the road to Marquez in my 4Runner back in the day. Is the road from the east still open? Man that was a pig!

22-Feb-18
I’ve only been in on the one that comes off the hardtop road. Believe it’s from the south

23-Feb-18
The road I used to use came in from Seyboyeta or maybe Cubero. It saved me an hour or more coming from Abq to the East end of the forest but it was brutal. Its likely not a legal road anymore. It was always questionable even back in the late 80s when I used it. I have a vague memory of the road starting in the back of a business or mining type lot that always made you wonder if someone was going to come out shooting at you. :) It may have even started on Indian property. I always remember being glad to see the Marquez or Forest service sign and knowing I was on public land. I started out my elk hunting and bowhunting journey on that East area of Mt. Taylor. Back in the day it was a blast. I've heard it has gone way downhill.

25-Feb-18
I drew the turkey hunt there about 15 years ago. It’s a neat area. I’m looking forward to getting in there again.

• Sitka Gear