Sitka Gear
2018 Region R Mule Deer Hunt
Wyoming
Contributors to this thread:
Beschen 22-Feb-18
wyohunter1 26-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 26-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
Three friends and I are going out to region R this fall on a mule deer hunt. We've never hunted in this region before and were looking for a couple of different areas to try. Season opens Oct. 15th. What caliber deer are in this area? Is there a lot of snow this time of year? Any information you have on region R would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

26-Feb-18
Archery opens in September

26-Feb-18
It sounds like you're talking hunting the rifle season, so I don't know why you're asking on Bowsite! There are good deer in Region R if you know where to look and how to hunt, but don't pass on a 150" one. R is just like everywhere out west when it comes to weather. By the first of September you can expect to have temperatures in the 70s all the way down to single digits and no snow all the way into November or a lot in September. I've hunted south of R near Ten Sleep every year since 1999 and am out there for two months most every year. Most years there is decent weather with very little or no snow. However, the first few days of October in 2013 we had 12" of snow at 4000' and there was a lot more going east in the higher elevations and so much in the lower Black Hills areas of Wyoming and SD that thousands of cattle died. In the middle of September in 2014 at 8000' we had a foot of snow and several days of single digit temperatures. After that system moved out it got nice again and all the snow was gone within a week when back into the 60s on into October. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared for anything because out in the mountain areas that's what you can get at any time.

• Sitka Gear