Westksbowhunter 26-Feb-18
liktobowhnt 26-Feb-18
Westksbowhunter 26-Feb-18
Matte 26-Feb-18
drbonner 27-Feb-18
Matt Palmquist 27-Feb-18
MattDavis 27-Feb-18
24-Feb-18
Alright I usually just lurk and read but I'm looking to upgrade accessories this year. Three years ago I picked up my first bow as a package to try my hand at bow hunting. Well I sucked and had no idea what I was doing no matter how much I read on here. I haven't picked up the bow for two years now mostly because life has gotten in the way. Than my 14 year old son asked to go on a bow hunt this year and I immediate jumped at his interest and signed him up for the 4H Archery club and his diamond bow from when he was 10 has been set up for him now (14 years old and 6'2''). This brings me here. I don't feel like I need to upgrade the bow but I would like to upgrade my accessories for a southwest KS spot and stalk Mule Deer hunt this year.

My current set up is a PSE drive with a bee stinger stabilizer, trophy ridge volt 5 pin site, a True glow rest (3 point non fall away), and cheap true glow quiver. Lets say that price is not a concern and that id like them to transfer to a higher quality bow in a season or two. I'm usually of the mindset id rather pay for the best quality once and just keep it.

Thanks guys

24-Feb-18
A lot of bows are made just as good as the next. I used a Mathews for a few years and then switched to a Bowtech. Hoyt, PSE, Bear and others all make good stuff. Many times too much emphasis is placed on the tools used for the kill rather than the skills or the quality of the place you hunt. Give a newb a 1990's Bear bow and an awesome place to hunt and he will probably do better than a guy on a marginal piece of ground with a $1500 crossbow and poor skills. Good luck on the mule deer. I hope the states figures out a good plan combat their decreasing numbers. I heard a sickening story last week of residents chasing down a big mulie buck with a truck to try to get an arrow in it. Luckily they missed. Second time I've heard that in flat country, the goal was just to get an arrow in it anywhere and then watch where it beds and finish it off with a "stalk".

24-Feb-18
I hope that was somebody just talking BS. If not they have to be turned in to Fish and Game and let them sort out the truth.

24-Feb-18
Mule deer spot and stalk on your first hunt with your son. You picked a very difficult hunt for your first one. Good luck

25-Feb-18
Not looking to replace the bow just the accessories.

Well aware of the mule deer issues and well make sure to be selective of any deer we take.

Second time trying spot and stalk mule deer, first time was when I sucked so much. Overall though not extremely concerned about the success of the hunt, as long as I'm hunting with my son in Kansas close to home I'm good.

25-Feb-18
Don't know your bow poundage,draw length,skill level etc so really just winging it a bit here. First I'd consider a strong quiver that sits tight to the bow for stalking.Tight Spot 5 or 7 arrow for instance. I've had quite a few Trophy Ridge sights over the years with good success but lately have had issues with durability,loose screws etc.Finally gave up and went to Montana Black Gold and will never go back.Set it up and it stays there.Ditto on Spot Hoggs.If you are someone with skills and confidence and a desire to 'shoot long',I'd consider a sight with 2-3 pins and a slider for distances beyond.If no close by dealer consider S & S Archery in Boise Idaho.(Sandsarchery .com I think)They have a strong relationship to MBG and will help you customize a sight specifically for your needs at a reasonable cost.U pick the number of pins,size,color etc.Maybe look at a MBG Ascent Verdict for instance.Good stuff,good people,reasonable prices. For that type hunt the biggest accessory for me would be arrows.I shoot small diameter,medium heavy arrows with smaller fixed blades in the wind and,IMO,no question they fly better.Victory (VAPs)or Black Eagle Rampages are quality,reasonably priced choices. Don't know anything about your rest but if not a durable,arrow containing,quality drop away,I'd replace that for sure.Lotsa good choices out there on those. Good hunting and luck to you and son!

25-Feb-18
Treelimb Quiver, Blackgold Sights, Victory or Black Eagle Arrows, Magnus Black Hornets with adapter ring, 8 or 10 inch Bstinger, and a simple Whisker Biscuit.

25-Feb-18
Axel Amourtech sights are a one in a lifetime purchase.

Micro adjustable and bomb proof . Whisker biscuits are great rests and a really great option if stalking

25-Feb-18
Hands in my pockets, lookin down, kickin at the dirt, and just SMH...

25-Feb-18
You always say the best stuff chief

25-Feb-18
Whisker Biscuit rest, simple and easy to tune. Maybe up grade to a slider type sight as shots may be long. Trophy Ridge has a few for under 70 bucks that are nice and myself if PSE makes a two piece quiver that attaches to the bow that is the way to go. Most important is to enjoy the time with your son. Spot and maybe not stalk, just seeing deer and then figuring out a plan to get close with his input will be better then all the new equipment in the world. Also try and get some local help whether at the local shop or reach out to another bow guy in your area! Have Fun!! Shawn

25-Feb-18
Chief let me know what your thinking? I'm willing to listen and consider any thoughts on any topic.

25-Feb-18
Matt, I know you don't know me, and I'm not being a smart ass but, I would not have all that "stuff" to start with, if someone give it to me. What I'm thinking, and can't get the image out of my head, is, loading all that stuff you have and looking for, onto a big old wooden pallet, pour gasoline all over it, set it on fire and shove it out to the middle of the river. But good luck to you.

25-Feb-18
Chief I completely get where you coming from. Unfortunately for me when it comes to bows I am coming from a place of zero experience, zero exposure and I don't have anyone in my inner circle to teach or show me. So that leaves me at the hands of starting from walking into the local archery shop and researching the internet and both of those sources are full of todays gadgets.

25-Feb-18
I taught myself. Dad bought me a compound in second grade. Before that he made me bows out of green hedge sticks and weed eater string. He never bow hunted though. Bought my first real Browning compound for $60 at Bass Pro while on a science club Jr high field trip. Second year I year I bowhunted I shot a doe in the shoulder and tracked her half a mile. I learned real quick that sights on my bow would be a plus so that wouldn't happen again. It still took me a few years to it sights on it but the second doe I shot died real quick.

25-Feb-18
I think what chief is thinking matt is you can spend all the money you want it wont by sucess you just have to get out and hunt shot my first deer with a bear whitetail paid 60.00 for it

25-Feb-18
Just wanted to add im 60yrs old the best hunting trip i ever had was turkey hunting with my wife and young grandson hunted two days called a few Shot None but laughed more than i ever had i will never forget that weekend

25-Feb-18
Thanks guys,

Plans just changed for the better turns out my seasons not over. Just found out my son and I won a turkey hunt here in Texas through a Veterans organization. The hunt is 30 & 31 March. I hope to have the confidence in myself for the bow by then. If not ill just pull out the old 870.

25-Feb-18
Just have fun. Im sure you will

25-Feb-18
Do you live in Kansas or Texas?

26-Feb-18
Where do you live in Kansas. There might be a Bowsite or KBA member in your area that can help. As far as a Mule deer spot and stalk in Kansas I wish you luck. I have been successful for many, many years.However the last two the lack of bucks has left me with only two stalk attempts and both ended up close but not a success. Some of the best Mule deer hunters I know with the some of the best ground have not had success for the last few years.

26-Feb-18
I'm from Liberal Kansas but I'm in the Air Force stationed in San Angelo Texas. I travel home to do almost all my hunting.

Matte thanks you actually gave me some pointers a few years ago when I tried hunting around Ashland.

26-Feb-18
" Three years ago I picked up my first bow as a package to try my hand at bow hunting. Well I sucked and had no idea what I was doing no matter how much I read on here. I haven't picked up the bow for two years now mostly because life has gotten in the way."

"Second time trying spot and stalk mule deer, first time was when I sucked so much. Overall though not extremely concerned about the success of the hunt, as long as I'm hunting with my son in Kansas close to home I'm good."

the above are two quotes directly from you.... Don't take this the wrong way but what youre saying makes little sense. You sucked and didn't realize what you were doing wrong and haven't touched the bow in two years. Now all of the sudden you want to spot and stalk a mule deer. I've said here many times the best thing you can do is practice shooting, but you haven't touched the bow in two years. What's the difference from today and when you "sucked so bad" if you haven't been shooting?

26-Feb-18
Matt My best advice is to find an archery shop in your area that has someone experienced at making sure your bow is tuned and set up properly. This will make being accurate much easier and your success more likely. Next to decide what the best equipment will be for you is not all that easy. Many people have their opinion of what is best because it is what works best for them. Maybe try going to a 3-D shoot and seeing what others are using on their bow and ask questions about their equipment. What they like and why. Disadvantages and advantages to every piece they use. While you are at the 3-D shoot you will increase your shooting skills greatly which will lead to better odds of having a successful hunt. This will also give you time to bond with your son while shooting your bows. These are just a few of the things that have helped me in my 27 years of bowhunting. As for chief don't take offence many traditional Bowhunters feel this way about anyone who shoots a compound bow. Not much different than the way most compound shooters feel about crossbows. Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to send me a private message.

26-Feb-18
Good heavens Bonner, why bother posting?????????????? The man can do what he wants. Besides there is very little skill involved in shooting a modern day compound with a release. Anyone new to the sport could shoot well enough to hunt with a couple of days practice. Besides season is 6 months away and the man never said he "sucked" at shooting, maybe he was just referring to his hunting knowledge. We all have to start somewhere. Matt Davis thank you for your service. Take your son hunting and enjoy, nothing more fun than hunting with your son. Liberal is not that far from me. Coached a few basketball games down there and shot a pheasant or 2.

26-Feb-18
Bonner- I felt confident in my shooting. It was the fact that I was an over excited dip ...... I had grand plans of hunting my usual rifle spot that I never had to consider seasons because well I hunted rifle season. Well hey I'm bowhunting now and I can show up in September and it will just be amazing. I have access to about 10 square miles of canyons and draws that has a running stream through the middle of it. One problem there is very little immediate crops or feed and I'm there in September with standing corn crops everywhere. I saw a total of one Doe with her two fawns in 5 days of hunting. Lesson learned.

26-Feb-18
The champion 3D archers make terrible shots on the outdoor channels as well as the hosts of the hunting shows. Shooting a target is not shooting game, that comes from experiences. Don't listen to Bonner just go hunting.

26-Feb-18
Hell yeah. You go clip

26-Feb-18
LOL

26-Feb-18
Matt if you are planning a spot n stalk get ahold of me late October and I may have some information for you on what I'm seeing.

27-Feb-18
Thanks for the clarification Matt. These other guys are acting like I called you an idiot or something, all I said was what you stated didn't make sense. I guess they missed the "don't take this the wrong way...." portion of my post. Thanks for a reasonable response. My advice would be to find a decent archery shop and get to know the bow tech and archery staff and ask a lot of questions.

Also Thank you for your service to our country

27-Feb-18
Griff gave you some great advice! It is hard to direct you towards equipment because there are so many different options out there and different people like different things.

IMO, quality sights include Black Gold and Spot Hogg. I also used an IQ sight this last year and liked it as well. Rests for me would be some sort of limb driven fall away style rest and my preference is the Limbdriver ProV by Vaportrail. I typically run two piece quivers that firmly attach to the bow. If you want one that is removable but still solid for Spot and Stalk get a tight spot.

Lastly, if you are shooting good, your equipment didn't fail, and contribute to the sucking part, why change anything at this time? Spend time at proshops like Bob said and talk to lots of guys, especially the gear junkies. You will hear a lot of opinions. There isn't a right answer. If you want to chat more about this PM me and I will give you my number.

Matt

27-Feb-18
I appreciate everything guys. I know this post is some what like beating dead horse and I could research all this on my own (I have) but the people on this forum is why I posted here.

• Sitka Gear