Utah
Contributors to this thread:
PreRut 25-Feb-18
Stillhunter 25-Feb-18
Tjw 25-Feb-18
Ranger 26-Feb-18
ben h 01-Apr-18
25-Feb-18
So I just discovered for the first time in 8 years I did NOT draw my Wyoming general tag, I've been lucky enough to have a best friend that owns a ranch and a has great set up in Wyoming. I've been lucky enough to take 3 archery bulls, one big one 2 years ago - 320s. I used to live in Utah and have continued getting points, I think I have 18-19 now. I'm looking for the unit with the biggest trophy potential, not necessarily numbers, I am also willing to bring a rifle if need be(I know lame). It used to be the book cliffs roadless, san juan, and pausagant? were 3 of the best units for BIG bulls. I appreciate any help. I realize if I draw this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity, Thanks

25-Feb-18
Apparently you're going to put in for one of the rifle limited entry units. Should be about as easy as it can get to kill a 300 plus bull in Utah, assuming you're not deaf.

25-Feb-18
Dont waste it on paunsagaunt.... u can draw most or real close on archery . Dates suck. San jaun, pahvant, boulders, monroe, beaver, are some of the best.. most of those units only 1 or 2 non res tags 20 plus for rut rifle. There is some late season rifle tags that are great. You are real close to san juan archery. Best elk tag in utah i feel.. good luck

26-Feb-18
The biggest bull units- 1.) San Juan 2.) Monroe 3.) Pahvant 4.) Beaver 5.) Boulder 6) Book Cliffs roadless. Some will have them turned around a bit- with you bonus points most of these units you are still out of the running for bonus tag if they offer more than one nonresident for any weapon. You may want to consider putting in for Archery on any of these units where you have a good chance to draw units with more than one nonresident tag (just know it is pre-rut hunts and hot weather). Or you can consider muzzle loader tag which odds are not as bad as rifle tags but usually less tags. Unless you want to go non rut hunt time.

01-Apr-18
I haven't personally spent much time on any of the southern units, but from what I've heard, Ranger's list is pretty good and in that order. Book Cliffs aren't known for huge bulls; nice bulls yes and in decent numbers, but not huge. Last year I accompanied a friend's dad on a Book Cliffs bison hunt. I took the time to look into the roadless area and on a map, it looks pretty small, but it's big when you look out over it. To me, logistically this looked like a really expensive hunt. Realistically this will need to be on horseback and if it took several weeks that will add up. I think Beendare and Nva have both personally hunted this area and said it was a fantastic adventure.

• Sitka Gear