ahunter55 14-Mar-18
ground hunter 23-Mar-18
Shawn 23-Mar-18
ground hunter 23-Mar-18
Cowdoc 16-Apr-18
Shawn 20-Apr-18
Boatman71 20-Apr-18
04-Mar-18
Ive got max points for Iowa archery..Sadly the owner of the property I was to hunt on was forced to sell the farm due to a serious medical condition that has now left him paralyzed. I know this comes up constantly ,hunters looking for areas to hunt. Im willing to pay a trespass fee..I can't really afford an outfitter so I just thought Id give this a shot. Im a bow hunter and have dreamed about an Iowa deer hunt and saved for years..So sad for my friend , would have loved to have joined him on the hunt but it just wasn't meant to be.

06-Mar-18
Zone?

07-Mar-18
Like others have said. Just go hunt some public land. Iowa public is better than most other private. If you put in the work, you'll do fine.

09-Mar-18
If you have a couple weeks, I would think you could hunt public and have a chance at 140" buck in 10 days of hunting. I have yet to hunt Iowa but I have scouted several public land spots as well as some walk in. I saw plenty of sign of big bucks as well as several bucks on the hoof that were between 120-150"s. This was Nov of 2015 and Nov 2016 right during the rut. Shawn

10-Mar-18
Hunt public ground. Two years ago a friend of mine killed a 160+ on public land in zone 3. Zone 5 has a lot of good places too. I don’t have personal experience with zone 4, but I’ve heard good things about there as well. If you’re in shape and can go for 2 weeks you’ll have an amazing hunt. If you can bring a row boat with small outboard you can get to some places that could be awesome. Sorry about your friend, but with some research you can put together a great hunt. Make sure you know what you want. I passed a 140+ buck 2nd day of my hunt last year and didn’t get an opportunity at a giant after that. No regrets, but there are no guarantees out there.

10-Mar-18
I have no preference of a zone..Ive got max points and now after four years of excitement waiting for the tag,,plans got up ended. I have never hunted Iowa and know nothing about the state. I realize there isn't a Boone and Crocket behind every tree..I jus would hate to burn 4 years of waiting in the wrong area. Thank you'll for the input..Im open to all or any suggestions. Ive hunted a lot of different places ..I know all about no guarantees ,,but thats hunting.

10-Mar-18
Max points then Zone 4 or 5 may be for you but you will also deal with a lot of hunters. Some zones you can draw with 1 or 2 points and have less pressure but maybe ot the amount of deer. Like I said and others get there and hunt, I can tell you this do not go too early wait until at least the 7 or 8th of Nov as this gives you the best chance at the crops being harvested. Lots of places will have thousands of acres of standing corn and it can make the hunting difficult. I would also say just because it is Iowa don't set your sites ridiculously high. I believe 140" goal is very realistic but too hold out for a 160 plus may be a stretch. Myself depending on the deer, 130" 8pt is a true trophy as to where maybe a 130" 10pt may not blow my hair back. Go to the Iowa website and start scouting with their interactive maps. Shawn

11-Mar-18
Excellent advice Shawn. Particularly about the corn. Although if you’re nearby when it comes out it could be great.

14-Mar-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
Here's some figures for ya, from last year. Total Buck harvest by county.

23-Mar-18
I agree, with Les,,,,,, How I found all of my good spots, all on public, was that I hunted a lot, when only being able to hunt a doe..... However, I got to see a lot of action, and when its my turn for a buck, I know where I am going....... I started across the border in the NE area, but have since moved west......................

I agree, good public land is very good there,,,,, and the locals do not want to get their feet wet,,, and that is a hint......... good luck

23-Mar-18
The locals don't have to get their feet wet!!! Shawn

23-Mar-18
that's true, but after the sheds we found last spring, 2 locals will be doing so this year,,, ha ha.................. going out this weekend, to help a farmer, for a few days, for him letting me hunt on his land,,,,,,, that type of deal, still exists, in the quieter areas,,,

I also set up snowmobile trips and muskie trips, in trade for access, and that has paid off

16-Apr-18

Cowdoc's embedded Photo
Cowdoc's embedded Photo
I am from Iowa and hunt public land...everyone wants private and over looks the public land. You own it go use It! I shot a 130 inch typical 8 last year with my bow and he was not even close to the biggest deer on that piece of public.

20-Apr-18
Curious where the 130" 8pt you shot is? Shawn

20-Apr-18
I would definitely not overlook public ground! RARELY do I ever see anyone bowhunting public ground here locally. Hidden gem in my opinion.

• Sitka Gear