splitlimb13 05-Mar-18
ohiohunter 05-Mar-18
jdee 06-Mar-18
splitlimb13 06-Mar-18
Outdoorsdude 09-Mar-18
04-Mar-18
Can anyone give me insight on when elk shed hunting usually begins? Thanks

04-Mar-18
Seen 3 studs all packin. The one had a solid 12”+ 5th. With bulls like that still carrying I’d say very few have dropped in that area.

Ive seen 300”+ holding as late as May, May 10th to be exact. Some people’s rule of thumb is April 1st

04-Mar-18
Early April is my estimate for the bigger bulls. A month later for smaller ones.

04-Mar-18
I've seen big 6x's in April while turkey hunting, but most nearly all lose their crowns before May.

05-Mar-18
Yes I'd typically I'd say first week of April is ideal . Did have a friend of mine find a 310 set already. The issue is it's not so much for fun any more . The guys with out full time job scavenge the hills every day and pick up every piece of bone they find!

05-Mar-18
Its getting pretty stupid. Last year the tines up guys and company spent a month in the Gila. I had heard they pulled a flatbed full of horns. This is all hearsay though, but I did see a truck sporting the tines up logo on our side of the mountain.

06-Mar-18

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
We were up in the wilderness Sunday looking and came home empty handed. I did see an Antler buyer at the store on the Mescalero res. though with antlers on the ground next to his pickup.

06-Mar-18
Some have started to lose the antlers,but still way early .

09-Mar-18
Bigger question, will NM follow other western states and begin to regulate shed collecting in some fashion?

• Sitka Gear