Pdwhite10 08-Dec-18
dirtclod Az. 08-Dec-18
Glunker 20-Feb-19
09-Mar-18

fatbass's embedded Photo
Wyoming public land
fatbass's embedded Photo
Wyoming public land
Good morning everybody. The elk gods shined on me this year, Drew 27 archery bull tag. I'm strongly considering backpacking into the Bear Wallow wilderness area in hopes of locating a mature bull. Have any of you chased elk in this area? I know certain parts of this unit, just never been in this particular area before. Thank you and God bless.

25-Mar-18
good morning I drew a late archery hunt in unit 27 and haven't been down that way for some time. I would appreciate any help anyone has on a big bull. I have heard off the rim is the ticket and I am looking at the west edge as well as the state line below the rim.

25-Mar-18
I hunted cows in unit 27 a year ago. Around Hannigan Meadows. Saw 15 or so bulls, several bigguns. One herd had 41 cows and 4 bulls. I didn't consider hunting off the rim, but would appreciate any input if you decide to go there.

28-Mar-18
Congrats pdwhite, hope you have the best hunt ever. Thank you Osage, I appreciate the help.

29-Mar-18
Also, 3 years ago I went and called for a buddy of mine. I called in 6 bulls until a 7x7 showed up. Got him at 15 yds. Found a several ponds and one wallow which was used extensively. Grab a Forest Map then PM me for locations. Just be careful of the burned trees as they fall continuously.

04-Sep-18
Thanks gents for the info. I just got back from my first outing trip I was looking pretty hard at Blackmountain and Rose Peak as the game and fish reports were talking about the herd down there in that area. I have sent Stan focused more on the bear Waller forest area. And as this is a post right behind unfortunately I’m not going to be able to call them in.. Well the 26 Road which is north of bear wallow looks good I think I’m still going to work right off the edge of the rim and work the 54 Road and I hope that I can find them if the weather is going to be good. They’ve had a lot of rain it rained over the weekend every morning from 3 AM until about 8 AM yesterday on my way out I actually ran into some snow so it would make me think that We could be in for a good winter this year up there thanks again guys

04-Sep-18
Thanks gents for the info. I just got back from my first outing trip I was looking pretty hard at Blackmountain and Rose Peak as the game and fish reports were talking about the herd down there in that area. I have sent Stan focused more on the bear Waller forest area. And as this is a post right behind unfortunately I’m not going to be able to call them in.. Well the 26 Road which is north of bear wallow looks good I think I’m still going to work right off the edge of the rim and work the 54 Road and I hope that I can find them if the weather is going to be good. They’ve had a lot of rain it rained over the weekend every morning from 3 AM until about 8 AM yesterday on my way out I actually ran into some snow so it would make me think that We could be in for a good winter this year up there thanks again guys

04-Sep-18
Good area.My Father shot a big 6X6 near Hannigan Meadows.

08-Sep-18
Hunt off of the 25 road into the wilderness......you may like what you find.

13-Oct-18
Thanks for your in put. I liked the lay of the land there off of the 25. I’m planning on staying close to the 25 and the 54 road. I have a quad so travel back to the back should be fairly easy. Hannigan Meadows has always been a favorite of mine, it’s a two week hunt and I’m set to go. Looking forward to a couple days early for scouting. Thanks again for your in put gents.

13-Oct-18
Thanks for your in put. I liked the lay of the land there off of the 25. I’m planning on staying close to the 25 and the 54 road. I have a quad so travel back to the back should be fairly easy. Hannigan Meadows has always been a favorite of mine, it’s a two week hunt and I’m set to go. Looking forward to a couple days early for scouting. Thanks again for your in put gents.

25-Nov-18
Good morning to you all. Just a quick note to say thanks for all the in put. Had a great hunt and even though I didn’t get a bull I had a couple of good opportunities. Saw loads of bulls and it was a great hunt. Thanks again to all of you for your input. bohntr you were right on!

25-Nov-18
Would really like to hear about your hunt. Probably will draw a tag next year.

26-Nov-18
We appreciate you coming back to report on your hunt. So many people that ask for advice never do. Sorry you didn't take a bull, but hopefully you enjoyed your time in one of the most beautiful parts of our state.

08-Dec-18
Always worth going out on any hunt. I’ve come home empty handed more often than not. The thrills and skills of bow hunting.

As for information on my hunt. As I drew a late archery tag I relied on elk101.comand in the end Randy Newberg was the most beneficial source for what I was looking for.

1 have three spots that fit your hunt, late hunt means feed water and security for survival. 2 Be flexible and adapting to the conditions. Always have a backup plan. 3 Patience is your best bet. Hunt the burns where feed is best. Understand the wind and be patient.

I got within 54 yards of 6 six by sixes and a seven by seven on day two. Bedded down in a thicket in the middle of a burn. The 7x7 was standing watch and I couldn’t see all of the 6 bus I made a move trying to get closer that tipped them off.

The next day I happened on a bull that was again in a thicket that was surrounded by a burn. It turned out he was a 5x5 that was caught in the open. As I was in a very good place I let my patience rule the conditions and after watching for over a hour three large bulls showed themselves. I watched these bulls for over four hours and they moved over the hill top. I was back the next morning before sunrise. Bingo they were back and grazing on the burn working their way to the top of the hill. This time there was seven of them. After three days of watching these guys I wanted to see if I could even penetrate the fortress they were so comfortable in. I moved in to survey the condition of even getting close to the top of the hill. It was full of new growth aspens and a wonderful growth of brambles that made it very hard to get through. Due to the fact that they were off the top of the hill I did make it up there. I surveyed the situation and got out to make a plan. Day four was the same early morning they were grazing the burn until 10: am then spending a hour on the top playing and horsing around. Two 7x7’s two 6x6’s two 5x5’s and a 4x4 with a broken right main beam. I was watching the wind every day and it appears that they had all that they needed right there with no pressure a near seven hundred yards off the road.

Day six was a big day as they worked their way up the burn grazing one of the 5x5’s laid down to nap at 8:30 in the morning. Totally unusual for what I had been seeing. One seven by was out in the open with the other smaller bulls. As I watched this weird behavior for almost a hour suddenly another monster seven by comes out and stands over this bedded bull. He gets up and they move up the hill. This 7x7 was totally out of sight and motionless for the time I was watching. As they get to the top of the hill the 7 by stops and stand straight on to my view. As I’m watching this bull in amazement a 8x8 walks right behind him dwarfing him and that’s when I jumped up and said it’s time to move. There was one way in I had found that was risky but quite. I got there undetected and was moving over the top of the hill with the wind behind me. They had moved over the top and that put the wind in my favor. As I moved along the top of the hill I caught wind of two bulls just over the edge. I knew I was in a good spot and the smaller bulls always were out in front. As I moved on through the large pines I saw a bull move into the thickets about 70 yards in front of me. I was three stepping and moving slow. He hadn’t seen me and I had no chance of a shot. I then caught wind of what I thought was the large bulls just off the top of the hill. I was in the sun as I moved towards the edge. I had moved into a shaded spot and was very close. I still had no view and all I could see was thicket. I was now one stepping and I believe as I was in the shade and the wind was still moving down hill in the cool of the morning they busted me with scent. They were within 30 yards and I just couldn’t see them. Needless to say I returned the next two days to nothing and while I spent time looking for other elk my heart wasn’t in it as I realized that I had missed a opportunity of a lifetime.

I am really hooked on late archery hunts if there is a burn involved. Thanks again for your help hope you enjoy the story.

08-Dec-18
Great story and great hunt.

20-Feb-19
My second choice, also a long shot.

• Sitka Gear