Arizona
Contributors to this thread:
ELKFEVER 18-Mar-18
Knothead 18-Mar-18
WapitiBob 19-Mar-18
elkcrzy1 29-Mar-18
fred 01-Apr-18
18-Mar-18
Hello friends, first post here! I was fortunate enough to draw a Unit 1 tag for this September. I did a lot of searching on here before I posted but didn't seem to discover much recent info on this hunt. I don't expect anyone to share any secret honey-holes, but figured I would throw it out there in case anyone would be willing to PM me some tips. It would be appreciated. Perhaps I can send you some Wisconsin cheese curds or something! I've been elk hunting a few times so I'm not coming in completely clueless. I will be going in without a guide, along with a friend that is a AZ resident. I was In this general area back in 2009 before the fire, but I understand the landscape has really changed. Thanks in advance! This is going to be a long 6 months waiting for this hunt!

18-Mar-18
There are hot showers & water at Big Lake. Never had the tag before but fish there a lot in the summer. Elk are pretty evenly spread over entire unit. The Wallow fire back in 2011 did some good as far as habitat goes. From what I hear, elk are not terribly hard to find during the hunt. Good Luck

19-Mar-18
I stayed at the rv park in alpine. Laundry and showers, etc and a decent central spot to head out from. I had no problem finding Elk. They weren't real responsive to calls so I ended up sleeping in then going out about 7 and sneaking up on them when they bedded although I did call mine in at 12: noon.

29-Mar-18
I archery hunted it in 2015 and can help you some if youd like to pm me.

01-Apr-18
congrats on the tag. you can hunt anywhere with that tag and find decent bulls. Some places are better than others but there really are elk everywhere.

• Sitka Gear