AzTBH 03-Apr-18
StickFlicker 03-Apr-18
notags 04-Apr-18
StickFlicker 05-Apr-18
notags 06-Apr-18
Scar Finga 06-Apr-18
23-Mar-18
Gentlemen,

Encase you haven't seen it, we are trying desperately to stop the Air Bow in AZ archery seasons! Please check out the Big Game Forum... the post is "Stop Air Bow in AZ". We need your help. Read the post and respond accordingly.

Thank You!

Scar.

26-Mar-18
never even heard of an Air Bow.

26-Mar-18
A more accurate name would be arrow rifle. First I heard of it was a couple weeks ago. Now we are about to legalize it here in AZ under certain circumstances for which I'm sure will be stretched to wives, daughters, girlfriends or anyone else who does not want to take the time to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow.

26-Mar-18
I actually dont see any difference between it and a crossbow. If a person has a crossbow permit they may as well be allowed to use this, IMO. Supposedly shoots accurately to 75 yards, crossbows shoot that far or further.

28-Mar-18
I emailed the following "Opposition to the Air Bow for Archery Season” statement separately to the five commissioners (Mr Ammons, Mr Zieler, Mr Sparks, Mr Davis, and Mr Brake), the Rule Making Committee, and to Jay Cook (Regional Supervisor).

Dear XXX

I respectfully request that the board deny the request to make the “Air Bow” a legal weapon in the archery seasons. The Air Bow is not archery tackle in any sense. It an “Arrow Launching Device" that uses compressed air or nitrogen to launch an arrow. It is a Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) Air Rifle whose projectile is an arrow instead of a lead pellet.

I appreciate that the Air Bow is limited to “Handicap Hunters”, however the crossbow is already an option for this category of hunters. As a retired engineer, I envision the next step this evolution of developing arrow launchers with shotguns or muzzle loaders. It would be very easy to develop a reduced charge shotgun shell to launch an arrow.

In conclusion, I urge the board to not approve the Air Bow for the archery season. It is rifle - not archery tackle. My question to the board is, if you choose to go down this slippery slope, are you prepared to approve any “Arrow Launching Device” for the archery season, including arrows that are launched with gun powder or black powder?

Respectfully, Ross McCollum

28-Mar-18
Expanding seasons and allowing different types of weapons will continue as the G&F departments across the nation figure out how to raise $ in a decreasing hunter pool.

29-Mar-18

AzTBH's Link
I agree with you Mulehorn about the need to find revenue sources, however the AZGFD also needs to abide by own rules. The Air Bow is not archery tackle, so it shouldn’t qualify as a legal weapon in the “Archery” season.

NoTags - People are shooting and hitting targets at much greater distances than 75 yards. This a Youtube video of a 202 yard hit on a target with an Air Bow

29-Mar-18
AZTBH, I have talked to "hunters" in 19a on antelope hunts taking 150 yard shots with their compounds on animals. I've seen 100 yd targets at 3d shoots. Its all about ethics. Just because you can do something, or a weapon can do something, doesnt mean you should do it. I am sure if I dug on Youtube I can find someone shooting their compound at 200 yards and hitting targets too. I took up bowhunting over 40 years ago with a recurve, today's compounds hardly seem fair compared with what was in use when archery only seasons were first started. The same evolution has hit the "muzzleloader" industry. Todays modern inlines are hardly a primitive weapon anymore, the same as todays bows.

30-Mar-18
Did anyone watch the AZ G&F Webcast yesterday on the proposed rule changes? If so, anything of significance come out of it?

30-Mar-18
Good question StickFlicker. I meant to and completely forgot about it.

30-Mar-18
I tuned in at 6:17. Three people in the audience and 66 people watching the telecast. The 3 people in audience were not in favor of of ban. G&F also read questions (they were more like comments) and everyone that I heard was not in favor of the ban. I know at least 3 people who wrote prior to yesterday that supported the ban.

Long story short G&F kept referring to what is considered fair chase. They also know the wording has to be changed and that it is their responsibility to build a case against anyone they suspect of violating the 1/4 mile rule.

I'm surprised some of the hunting organizations did not have a representative there to voice their official views. G&F did say they have been working on this for a couple years and they have a variety of people on the committee.

02-Apr-18
Nothing New, Almost nobody there... Pretty sad, but I wasn't there either, so I can't complain! I watched all of it.

PM me any questions. Also the ABA has taken a stand against it. we are doing this through writing the Commissioners and the Governor.

Thanks!

02-Apr-18
Scar, nice meeting you the other night. Sorry I didn't have more time to talk.

I think you might be talking about airbows and Knothead might be talking about either cameras, or perhaps the not being permitted to shoot a bow within 1/4 mile of a residence?

02-Apr-18
I was talking about cameras. I don't recall the arrow rifle or shooting 1/4 mile from a residence ever coming up in the discussion from 6:17 pm until the end. Nearly the entire conversation and questioning was related to the cameras around water.

03-Apr-18
Stickflicker, Nice meeting you as well sir, next time hopefully we can sit and talk for a bit. Since this post is about the Air Rifle thing that shoots arrows, that was what I was referring to. Sorry if I misunderstood his post.

God Bless!

Scar.

03-Apr-18
Well said Notags: “It’s all about ethics.” You and I are from the same generation, or at least close to it. I’ll be celebrating my 7th decade in September. I still enjoy hunting with a recurve, or longbow, and the challenge of getting close and limiting myself to ethical ranges based on my skill. You and I have witnessed technological advancements of “primitive weapons” that have extended their ranges far beyond the distances envisioned when the primitive hunts were established. And, it is very hard, if not impossible, to limit these advancements in the hunting regulations. However, the Air Bow is not a technological advancement in archery tackle, like the compound bow. It is an Air Rifle, and consequently should NOT be allowed during an "archery only" season. Thanks for responding to my post and your positive contributions to these Air Bow discussions.

03-Apr-18
As far as nobody being there or watching, that is because several years ago the Commission berated publicly those that tried to speak to them regarding their opinions. There used to be very large showings of hunters, and particularly bowhunters, at all commission meetings with topics of any mainstream concern. One year, every person that spoke was berated and humiliated by the Commissioners, and that was all but the end of public participation at commission meetings in Arizona.... Many of the hunters that spoke had contributed thousands of hours of their time to the wildlife associations of Arizona, just to be "put in their place" when they wished to express their opinions. It was a sad day for wildlife in Arizona.

04-Apr-18
Marvin, I think I was at that meeting, was it when they were looking at shortening the archery elk season?

05-Apr-18
That may have been it. I remember them treating each and every icon of our sport with disdain, and when they did it to Dick King, after everything he had done for Game and Fish, that was enough for me.

06-Apr-18
So nothing was decided on the camera ban within 1/4 mile of man made water?

06-Apr-18
Notags^^^ Not yet, but I am guessing it's going to pass/ be the new law. I think all the new resolutions are going to pass.

• Sitka Gear