Tall 1 04-Apr-18
CJD437 05-Apr-18
Tall 1 05-Apr-18
CJD437 06-Apr-18
Woodsnut 06-Apr-18
SILVERADO 06-Apr-18
Bigbuckbob 07-Apr-18
02-Apr-18
As some of you may know I am the VP for the State of CT NWTF Chapter. I'm also on the CCAC board with Pat. There are 2 proposals that are being drawn up for the near future. One is all day turkey hunting and the other is the 5 bird bag limit which will be 5 birds on either private or state land. We as the CT NWTF are concerned do not agree with either one and I would like to get your opinions and constructive criticism. I believe that the turkey population is stable to decreasing at best. Either one of these proposals in my opinion will not help but only hurt. It is well know that a hen will feed in the morning hours and then go back to her nest in the afternoon. Hunters will only disrupt this cycle leading to non incubated nests. There are more factors to this whole debate but I would like your feedback. Thanks to all.

02-Apr-18
I'd love the opportunity to hunt them longer hours, but if it would impact the sustainable population by leading to unattended nests, I suppose leaving it as it is would be fine. There are plenty of opportunities in the fall too.

As far as a 5 birds bag limit - statewide, I think that might be an issue. In areas where the population is very dense - why not open up the bag limit? Again - base it on what gives us a sustainable resource. If more harvested in the short term means less available in the long term (which it usually does) - then I agree with opposing it.

I'd also like to get involved in some of the sportsmen's legislative issues if you guys are looking for help.

02-Apr-18
Im not a CT resident but here is my 2cents. I dont feel that too many hunters would even care to hunt after 12 as the hunting dies down with the gobbles and by 12 im ready for a nap. As far as a 5 bird limit that is just rediculous in almost any state.. I did some hunting out in the Union area and saw a ton of turkeys and now driving through I hardly see them anymore. I dont think I have really ever drove through CT and said holy crap they have tons of turkey. Yup 5 is insane.

02-Apr-18
I've hunted turkey since the first legal season in CT and I would NOT want either change to occur. First, I agree the population is down on state land and putting hens in danger doesn't make sense.

02-Apr-18
Finally. Some sense. I fully support all day spring turkey hunting.

I do not support 5 tags. 3 is fine.

Go kill us some big Toms.

02-Apr-18
I never understood the reason to shut down at 12 noon. Some states have all day spring hunting now. Your assumption that "it's well known that a hen will feed in the morning and go back to her nest in the afternoon"..is this a scientific fact, or something that someones hears, and spreads it around as gospel? I don't see how hunting in the afternoon will "disrupt this cycle". What, by walking in the woods and spooking a hen?

And the 5 bird limit...I think that the impact of a very small handful of hunters killing a 5 bird limit is minimal.

Want to increase the turkey population? Start by killing more coyotes, and implementing a bobcat season. I don't trap so I am not aware if fishers can be taken. If not, there should be a season on them also.

02-Apr-18
Let me first say that I too am a past president of a regional Ct NWTF chapter, I have hunted turkeys in 10 different states, was a licensed guide in NY state and have hunted turkeys for more than 35 years. Since I was introduced to turkey hunting, I have made it my life’s passion to study and observe wild turkeys. I love it and love trying to out smart them!!

My take on either of these proposals would be No. I agree with you CjD regarding the stability in the population. I believe it is only stable at best. Probably decreasing in most areas. As far as all day hunting goes, Ive hunted some states that do this but I can’t say it’s always the best thing. Ive seen hens flushed from the nest in both morning and afternoon, so if we can avoid any stress that isn’t already there, that would be a good thing. I certainly don’t think all day hunting would be a positive thing here in Ct where the overall recruitment might already be in question. You can keep the tag numbers right where they are and allow hunters to hunt either State land and Private on any given day. What would be the goal of increasing the tag numbers?

02-Apr-18
I agree with airleak. I’m for all day Hunting. My turkeys are either first thing if I can get there in time or mid day. I’d love to be able to sleep in and hit the woods for a few hours around 1-2:00. As for population. You guys are for sure Hunting the wrong areas. In my area they are everywhere. Heck I saw 4 walking up the middle of the road yesterday just off Connecticut Ave in Norwalk.

02-Apr-18
CJD I'm in agreement with you, but, why are these proposals being considered? Would they be trying to justify a fee hike?

I also agree with air leak in opening a bobcat season for hunting and trapping.

02-Apr-18
Air leak I agree there needs to be more predator management. This would definitely increase not only the wild turkey population but it would help boost a lot of small game numbers. Also it’s not an “assumption” about the nesting habits of a hen turkey. Those are scientific facts.

Dave your example of turkeys walking in downtown Norwalk is not a good one for this conversation. It’s not relevant in that there is no hunting downtown and way feeer predators. Also you saw 4 walking yesterday but 5 years ago that might have been 5 or 7 or 10

02-Apr-18
Not a fan of either. Hunt till 12 if you can’t do the deed by then go at it another day. And to kill 5 birds is to much. State or private. A few guys could wear out an area by limiting out. I? think in 1987 the state stocked turkeys on our dairy farm and it was pretty cool being part of that. I’m in favor of keeping it the way it is now. In favor for more predator hunting

02-Apr-18
The bag limit is already 5 bearded birds (3 Private and 2 State) in the Spring. Since they have combined Private and State land tags into a Resident Game bird tag they will just be combining the bag limit and say 5 total where ever. The All Day change will be a non-issue in my mind.

03-Apr-18
I could go for the all day but 5 is too much look at what happened to the deer .Steve

03-Apr-18

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Passthrough's embedded Photo
So we can take 5 already....

03-Apr-18
Interesting how the bag limit is separated Public V Private.

I'd also love to see the rationale for the full day. I like the concept, but that whole "disturbing hens" thing has been so beat into me it would be neat to see the rationale.

Wild Bill and Bob hit a key - why? Did a hunter group petition this or is it 100% DEEP?

03-Apr-18
Definitely 100% in favor of all day turkey hunting.

Corresponding reduction in tags would be fine with me.

03-Apr-18

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
I'm already a zombie getting up and just hunting the morning.

I'm concerned what the effect of all day hunting would do to us hunters.

I'd vote to leave it as it is. Hunt until noon and lower the limit. Two turks on private, one on state.

03-Apr-18
I find it amazing that there are so many wildlife biologists here on this site. It must be a burden to have all that knowledge.

03-Apr-18
I am for all day hunting if it passed, but am fine with it either way. Seems I always get into a bird that hangs up at 11:30 -11:45 am and time runs out on me, which I don't mind. Junior turkey season is currently till 5 pm, so I may be out there in the pm with my son this year. I would not like to see a 5 bird combined limit. I don't feel anyone should be able to take 5 birds on public land. I feel 2 on public land and even 2 on private is more than reasonable.

03-Apr-18
Do you guys hear yourselves? THE LIMIT IS ALREADY 5 birds, they wouldn't be increasing it at all. Since there is no longer a separate Private Land Tag and State Land Tag, they'd just be combining the total (2 + 3 =5), under the recent Resident Game Bird Permit. The Turkey Biologists have decided that the resource can continue to withstand the 5 bird limit. Now if you feel that it should be reduced, then that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion.

By the way, this is really about as close to a done deal as it can be. It's part of the recommended regulation changes submitted by the DEEP. They are usually approved and enacted.

03-Apr-18
Air leak, dude man it is a burden.!!!..trust me i know...lol

Now excuse me while i re read the books of Horace

03-Apr-18
Thomas you can poke fun all you want but the man asked for our opinion. That’s exactly what I gave him, my opinion. Just because you are in disagreement doesn’t make it wrong

03-Apr-18
Ace, yes I understand. I just don't want to see a combined 5 bird limit where someone can take 5 birds on public land. Keep it 3 private and 2 public for all I care, but not combined is my vote. Reduced tags is my opinion, but understand its just my opinion. The turkey biologists have decided that the resource can continue to withstand the 5 bird limit, so they have apparently determined that populations are stable or increasing contrary to what some here believe. Sounds similar to what we hear with the deer population on this site. Seems we tend to skewer the deer biologists on this site for doing the same thing. They believe the deer population can withstand the tag limits and most hunters here feel tag reduction is in order.

03-Apr-18
If ANYONE thinks I'm a " sure thing hunter" they have to have their head up their _ _ _. Why not 5 in private land in Norwalk or different bag limits for different zones? Predation in NW corner is higher than downtown Norwalk, so,.....

03-Apr-18
BTW - I've been hunting turkey with my bow for the past several years, no blind, stalk, call and shoot. I've taken 4 birds this way and no wounds or lost birds. Wait for a good shot and I aim for the neck. So I'm not into sure thing hunting for deer or turkey, but rather the chase!

I do have a new spot that's loaded with birds and that's where I'll take my grandson to get him excited about calling in a bird. I'm going to try to get it on video with my bow.

I'm guessing the state wants higher limits and longer hours because of ticks :) :), RIGHT???

04-Apr-18
I would like to thank everyone for their opinions. I know some of us feel stronger about this than others but I do hope that we all have the same goal in mind whether for or against. I have spoken at length with the DEEP about this and explained to them why we the CT NWTF do not support this. But as some of you have mentioned this may be a done deal. I did not get a clear answer as to why though. I believe we are all ethical hunters and would like to see the harvesting of any sustainable wild game help to conserve our natural resources. I appreciate the passion in all of your answers and I will make sure each one gets passed along. I will also be posting a letter from the NWTF regarding this issue as soon as I receive it. So stay tuned! If anyone is going to the Expo this weekend I will be helping out on Friday with the Hunter/Firearms Safety Instructors so stop by and we can chat some more. Also there is a Turkey seminar this coming Saturday, April 7, 2018, 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Its full at this time but there are always "No Shows". Location: Franklin Swamp WMA, 391 Route 32, North Franklin, CT 06254 Thanks again. Chuck D CJD437

04-Apr-18
Simply put, leave it as it is.

04-Apr-18
Gene 100%! It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

04-Apr-18
Cut back the bag limits. There's no reason to allow one hunter to harvest 5 turkeys in the spring and 2 more in the fall. I love turkey hunting as much as anyone but have imposed my own limits and have always thought 5 spring birds is overkill. All Day hunting would be fine, I don't think afternoons are as effective and the hen disruption isn't a big factor.

05-Apr-18
Tall 1, its actually 5 spring and 5 fall!!

05-Apr-18
True including firearms. Ridiculous in my opinion. Especially considering the predator increase and the declining bird population. My spots all have far fewer birds than years ago. A 2 bird combined limit from state or private land is enough.

06-Apr-18
Tall 1, agreed!!

06-Apr-18
I also think limit it to two Toms and hunt to noon. I noticed decline of turkeys in area i hunt, as well as deer population is way down. Predators are an issue but I agree with most we are allowed to harvest to many. I for shoot 1 or 2 deer and freezer is full enough. Just my 2 cents worth

06-Apr-18
Not so sure of that bbb with the predators. Norwalk has plenty of bobcats and Coyotes are through the roof. I killed 2 last year and the year before saw a pack of 5 together. Norwalk is loaded with predators more than any of the other towns i hunt. As a matter of fact one spot we have permission for there used to be a flock of 30+ turkeys we weren’t allowed a to hunt them. Then the predators moved in and I haven’t seen a turkey in the last few seasons there.

07-Apr-18
Silverado, wow no idea those areas of the state had a coyote problem.

• Sitka Gear