Contributors to this thread:
Squash 04-Apr-18
bas4109 04-Apr-18
Cornpone 04-Apr-18
Jdawg 07-Apr-18
Droptine10 08-Apr-18
wildan 18-Apr-18
04-Apr-18
Does anyone believe these numbers to be accurate ? They claim in the township I hunt, 89 antlered deer were taken. I’m not buying it, this is a mostly forested NZ unit with little Ag land and with large industrial timberland acreage that makes up 1/3 of the township. I’m the Forester that oversees this property, and can state as a fact that there were less than 10 antlered deer taken on this property. I wish the DEC would post actual numbers of deer reported, then post the number they tweek using some sort of formula that takes into account supposed non-reported deer.

04-Apr-18
I am not sure how accurate the numbers are but they do provide some very detailed information. It is interesting to see some of the trends in regards to 1.5/2.5/3.5+ year old buck take.

My gut tells me that the overall deer harvest numbers will slowly decline just because the number of hunters is declining. We need to focus on hunter recruitment. 65% participation in the Youth hunt seems pretty good though?

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/42232.html

04-Apr-18
Yes...I hear you regarding the "tweeked" numbers and agree; i.e. reported take should be given also. I'm from PA originally and they used to give out reported take into the 80s or so. Then they also started the estimating process.

07-Apr-18
Wow, what a bunch of skeptics on here. They claim the “algos” they use are really..really accurate. Personally I think they hire the pollsters who predicted who predicted Hillary in a landslide to compute the kill.

08-Apr-18
Haha, perfect jdawg

18-Apr-18
We have DEC records back to 1983 or so on our township.Went from 6(yes six in 1983) bucks taken to 120-140 about 1993 until 2016.State reported 216 for 2017.2017 was a very "off"year for our group;lots of sightings but we only shot 4 bucks from eight tags. We don't shoot small bucks(just the grand-kids).

• Sitka Gear