DaveA 13-Apr-18
tompolaris 13-Apr-18
N8tureBoy 13-Apr-18
notme 13-Apr-18
Toonces 13-Apr-18
Toonces 13-Apr-18
whaler 13-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
My wife and I will be relocating to New Haven, CT in May. I grew up in Wisconsin and have hunted and fished my whole life. I'm hoping someone can give me a few tips on where to start in CT. I have a 2 year old lab who loves retrieving ducks. I am a bow hunting addict mostly but I'm very interested in try off shore fishing. Thanks for the help!

07-Apr-18
Youll be here just in time for some good surf fishing...weakfish,stripers,blues will be moving ..some great spots around some in scary places..carry if you can..lol.contact chris at stratford bait n tackle...have fun good luck and why ct ..lol

07-Apr-18
Why?

Don't! But welcome.

07-Apr-18
Dbowers, welcome to CT and put some grease on your wallet because money will be flying out of it to the state for all kinds of taxes.

Google CT deer harvest report and it will show you where deer are taken and how many. Then pick an area and good luck.

07-Apr-18

nehunter 's Link
Check out the Deer summary. It will tell you what Towns kill the most Deer as well as State Lands. Check the CT gun laws, you might not be able to bring any AR's with you.

07-Apr-18
Welcome !

07-Apr-18
Welcome to the taxation state . Why ct if work I understand if not omg

07-Apr-18
He must be an illegal alien. I can't think of any other reason someone would intentionally move to New Haven, CT.

Welcome anyway Dbowers, good luck.

08-Apr-18
"My wife and I will be relocating"

Many of the posters on this site have the same desire, just not in Connecticut. Have you heard this before, have you wondered why hunters feel this way?

08-Apr-18
dbowers - whatever you do, DON'T contact the CAES and ask for their help, that's where the infamous Dr Scott Williams (DOC) works. He's not a bow hunter and thinks the government should pay his good friend Tony D from White Buffalo to kill all of the deer in the USA by having the taxpayers foot the bill, in the millions $$$ by the way. He and I are friends and we like to discuss various topics on this site (?). You'll get the idea if you're reading most of the recent posts.

Private land in the SW corner of CT is the way to go, so try knocking on doors but be prepared to run into liberal Dems who will lecture you. Otherwise, there's state land in the SW corner that is good as well, just do some research from the deer harvest report and get your boots on the ground once you decide on an area.

Good luck!

09-Apr-18
Welcome! CT has some decent deer and turkey hunting. Not sure about ducks.

If your interested in pheasants my bird club may be looking for members. It is not like hunting wild birds, not even remotely close, but it will get your dog some work.

09-Apr-18
Welcome to the North East. Different, from the mid west, but overall a lot of great folks and some fun outdoor adventures to be had.

09-Apr-18
Get here while we still have our sportsman's friendly governor Danny Boy!

09-Apr-18
Ignore dbrand! He's the test dummy for legalizing pot in CT. :). :)

09-Apr-18
the best pizza in the world is in New Haven- I can hook you and your lab up for stocked pheasant in Newtown but not waterfowl- I loved duck hunting but dont do it anymore

Pizza = Pepe's is world class clam pizza, Sallys, Modern Pizza - all awesome beyond belief

welcome to our screwed up state

09-Apr-18
Sorry Rich, the pizza we had in Naples Italy.

10-Apr-18
My moms pizza's!!!!

10-Apr-18
Mom's pizza is always the best!! You win.

10-Apr-18
I had pizza in Rome and all over Italy, New York and everywhere. New Haven Pepe's is best, Rome close 2nd - Memphis TN was worst

10-Apr-18
But did you have pizza in Naples? Rome pizza is bland compared to Naples.

11-Apr-18
Yeah! Welcome to the "CONstitution state" but due to fact that CONservatives are a minority and PROgresives a majority, and the erosion of our rights, we'll start calling it PROstitution state.

13-Apr-18
PM sent

13-Apr-18
Anything else we can help you with? Welcome to ct. and good luck with everything.

13-Apr-18
You will need to be brought up to speed on some of the lingo here. “Package store” is a place to buy booze. Can get beer at grocery store - but only at certain times of the day. “Blue laws” were invented centuries ago in order to prevent folks from having fun on Sundays. No dancing, drinking, cussing or fighting, etc. They are slowly getting rid of all of the meaningless ones. You can now shop on Sunday... but not too early. You can fish but you can not hunt unless it is on private land in certain towns with archery gear for deer. “Tag sale” this is when you empty your house and garage of all the useless crap you have accumulated over the years and you spread it out on your lawn with the hope that some sucker will buy it. If you post an ad for the sale the times you list is meaningless, as you will have senior citizens doing drive bys at 5 am hoping to get a good deal on a 1970s lamp shade. “Grinder” turns out this is nothing sexual, but rather a sandwich. Aka sub, hero or hoagie. (Hoagie - pretty sure that might be something sexual, now that I think of it ). You will need to pick a team - Yankees or Red Sox, even if you dont like baseball. If you already have a team it doesnt matter. People will not understand. Not sure why the Mets are not allowed. Just pick one and be prepared to start fights with anyone you see wearing the other teams hat. “Maine” this is a state about 4 hours away. If you go there people sound a little funny. You might hear them say Ayyyyyuugggh, which is a fancy way of saying yes. “Pop” we dont use this word unless we live in the 50s and are referring to our father. We say soda here - which does not mean soda water. It might mean coke pepsi sprite etc. “Pizza” you will be in a good area for this, as mentioned earlier. Just dont stray more than 15 minutes north and expect the quality to remain the same. They begin cutting it in squares somewhere north of Middletown. “Hartford outdoor show” - see tag sale above...

13-Apr-18
Geez now you tell me a grinder is non sexual..to think of all those fist full singles i threw at ho gies...lol

13-Apr-18
Further to N8tureboy's points - so some additional NE survival tips:

Sneakers = Tennies

I know in the Midwest everyone is really friendly with their neighbors (way too friendly), you have block parties, pot luck dinners, dance around the May Pole, show up unannounced etc. Here we respect boundaries. I have had the same neighbors for 20 years and don't know their names, nor do I want to. Unless you are actually friends with people, a simple wave when passing on the street is more than adequate social interaction.

Also no glamour shots on greeting cards or social invitations. That seems to be a Midwest thing. Don't do it.

13-Apr-18
Oh yeah, if you get above a certain age here you become a UConn Women's Basketball team fan by default.

It's just weird, old people love UConn Women's basketball. I have seen it happen to too many old people to think it can't happen to me.

13-Apr-18
Youre near some waterfowl spots on the housatonic. I used to hunt it a lot but it just ends up being not worth the effort for the amount of birds. Mix in some goose hunting and you can keep yourself busy and your dog (might) be happy.

As for deer, even though lots of liberals who hate hunting in some of the higher deer density areas, some or most of them hate deer eating their plants more. They will tolerate hunting as long as youre not finishing a deer off with a bowie knife at 930am saturday morning in the driveway, if you catch my drift.

Theres not much land available and it will take some time to scout out the best spots but feel free to message me and I can point you in a general direction. Im in New Canaan and theres some big deer around. Good luck and welcome.

• Sitka Gear