notme 10-Apr-18
Will 10-Apr-18
Bigbuckbob 10-Apr-18
SILVERADO 10-Apr-18
>>---CTCrow---> 11-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 11-Apr-18
notme 11-Apr-18
07-Apr-18
what are the white pvc pipes in the woods for?

I've seen them at a few different spots now.

07-Apr-18
Maybe perk test sites checking water table

07-Apr-18
Never a good sign!

07-Apr-18
According to deep site they collect biological data, so I'm assuming acid rain and other data.

07-Apr-18
Just before they build

07-Apr-18
Condos coming

07-Apr-18
Crow, are there big obnoxious numbers painted on trees in the vicinity?

07-Apr-18
Are they small PVC pipes (1" diameter or so) hammered most of the way in? That's a common way to mark "10 tallest" plots to determine deer browse impact.

07-Apr-18
Rawinski's method?

08-Apr-18
Yes, I was referring to Rawinski's method. The center of most plots are staked with PVC. I'm not sure if that's what CTCrow is talking about though.

08-Apr-18
4" are perc tests. when they are done they leave them is forever because they are lazy. Looks like hell

08-Apr-18
Right. 1/2" and 3/4" pvc is often used to mark long-term research plots. Usually to determine negative impacts of deer on forest regeneration to further justify herd reduction.

08-Apr-18
Or maybe youre witnessing ambictrious self grooming photo syntheticsous..very rare and barely witnessed by mans human eye..you lucky dog you, i wouldnt be surprised if they dont name something after you!!!

08-Apr-18
I think biologists put them in the woods to have pipe dreams. Just my humble opinion. Doc would be better equipped to answer that one :)

10-Apr-18
I cant speak to CT... But I hunt a lot of Harvard University land up here in Central MA... I know near where I hunt in CT Yale own's land for their forestry school, so maybe similar...

Harvard will use pipe to mark off research plots... but they will use "BIG", like sewer line sized pipe, to collect leaf litter or what not for various measurements. Some research plots are off limits, some are legal and make me laugh because they have dog tags - one of my favorite oak trees to hunt is number 234 - it has a little metal tag on it giving it the "name" 234. Some spots make awesome bedding - one 2acre bit they wanted to research tornado impact on a forest so they bull dozed over a bunch of trees. Made amazing bedding cover :)

It certainly could be a building thing too... but research might be a player.

10-Apr-18
Will - I've seen state land with a 1 ft high fence around a small area, like 10 ft around. I was told by one of the game wardens it was exactly what you say, a study being conducted. Then a couple of years later during turkey season I see movement in the distance. It was 2 young ladies from the college collecting data at one of these fenced in areas. I scared the crap out of them when I walked up in full camo with a shotgun in my hand. I suggested they were orange when in the woods and explained the reasons, (notme may be in the area, run if you see him). They were very grateful. I think one of them threw up in her mouth when mentioned notme.

10-Apr-18
Well theres the problem..you shouldve been wearin a banna hammock and carryin a double bacon cheeze burger..lol

10-Apr-18
Bob - that's wild. They should check seasons... Then again, you cant shoot Hen's - so know your target bud :) ha ha ha!

10-Apr-18
I love you guys. :)

10-Apr-18
Perk tests, and could mean something, and could mean nothing. I have spots that I have hunted for close to 15 years and they were there at day 1 and still there.

11-Apr-18
Thanks all. There is definitely no construction of any kind coming to this place. 2 of them are in the middle of nowhere in public land, the other on the side of the road both sides of a creek and there are about a 100 of them on this one. Only about a dozen in the woods.

Should I return them? ;-)

11-Apr-18
notme - didn't you leave one of your pipes in the woods? I think Crow found it.

11-Apr-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/pSgGCOHuO1U

• Sitka Gear