Contributors to this thread:
RidgeRocker 13-Apr-18
RidgeRocker 13-Apr-18
buckinspector 04-Jul-18
Bobbin hood 12-Jul-18
Bobbin hood 12-Jul-18
moon 24-Jul-18
13-Apr-18
Let me start off by saying hello to everyone. I'm from New York and have started to get the itch to hunt western deer. After all my research i've decided NE is the state I wanna focus on for archery hunting. I've been looking at a couple of WMA's and like the looks of Thomas Creek. Anyone hunted it before? Was wondering if anyone has any tips on what the whitetails prefer out there as i'm used to hunting the Adirondack Mountains. We will be targeting the last week of Oct or first week of November. Any other state lands people have had good success with?

13-Apr-18
forgot to mention the niobrara refuge looks good too. how is the archery pressure in this area?

04-Jul-18
Ridgerocker....The Thomas Creek area is thick and very hilly...not easy to hunt...area gets pounded/hunted hard...because its the largest in the area.....My partner and I attempted to hunt is a couple of times ...too many others in there.....focus on the Public lands south of Valentine....it may look like there's nothing there...but there's plenty of whitetails & mulies....hunt the marsh edges and trails coming off them...scout from high points overlooking them. It'll be different than anything you've experienced...but worth the effort...plenty of motels in town...easy drive in a.m. The refuge has it's own set of regs....contact them directly...thick/hilly/good deer also.

12-Jul-18
Halsey might be another choice! Federal land and lots of camping area! Has both Mulies and whitetail! Not hard to hunt! Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-Jul-18
Halsey might be another choice! Federal land and lots of camping area! Has both Mulies and whitetail! Not hard to hunt! Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24-Jul-18
contact The Nature Conservancy preserve. They used to charge a minimal fee to hunt and there are cabins to stay in.

• Sitka Gear