Fnshtr 11-May-18
Lone Eagle 11-May-18
hookman 12-May-18
Babysaph 12-May-18
JayD 13-May-18
16-Apr-18

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
I thought it would be nice to have another spring turkey BOWHUNTING thread. So... tell us how it's going. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go this morning, but looking forward to tomorrow.

Good luck and safe hunting everyone.

16-Apr-18
Got up, had a cup of coffee then went back to bed when it started raining harder

16-Apr-18
Just not a good day , so i just stayed home.

16-Apr-18
I wished I would have went back to bed. Got in the blind by 545, didn’t hear a gobble or see a bird. Left at ten and passed a hen walking through the field. First time turkey hunter (at age 40). Biggest lesson I learned is not to place the blind in a spot where it will have 6 inches of water under it the next morning :)

Saw over 50 turkeys in the same place yesterday while setting the blind up.

16-Apr-18
I went this morning, a miserable morning to say the least. Did not put enough clothes on but stuck it out the whole morning. Surprisingly heard a few gobbles and actually 1 gobbling about 75 yards away. While I was watching that direction 2 jakes walked by me on the other side of my blind not 5 yards away. They didn't hang around long enough to get in position to shoot. I am bow hunting with recurve , will try again another day.

16-Apr-18
me too hookman. I didn't go out today. to wet. good luck.

16-Apr-18

sundaynwv's embedded Photo
sundaynwv's embedded Photo

17-Apr-18
too wet. not to. I know better. LOL. Nice bird Sunday

17-Apr-18
Nice picture Sunday. How about a story? Love to hear details.

17-Apr-18
The rain fell in buckets all night. My walk in had an unexpected curveball as I was flooded out of entrance number one. By the time I made the loop I was probably a few minutes late. Zero morning gobbling. By 9a.m I was soaked and froze. Went to the pickup to get out of the rain and sleet mixture. Took a brief nap, woke up and swiped the window clean with my hand only to see a hen crossing the field 80 yards away. Circled her and ended up calling in a gang of jakes.

Went to my honey hole at 11:00a.m. Heard a lone hen at 11:30 that never came in. Roughly 11:50 I hear my first gobble of the day to my left. Fortunately, a giant oak tree shielded me from the long beards. They were now behind the tree and I had my gun on the right side of tree waiting. When the marched into view, the first of the two took it like a ton of bricks.

10 7/8 beard 3/4 rounds Spurs No idea on weight

Pic is taken with backwater in the yard.

18-Apr-18
Monday I was rained on and Tuesday snow and wind. This morning was great, but I'm not hearing any gobblers. I did have two hens come in Monday, but haven't seen or heard a turkey since then. But the creeks are so high due to all the rain I'm not sure the turkey can hear me or I can hear the turkeys.

18-Apr-18
Went for 1st time this morning, got set up in blind, pulled bow back to make sure all was well, but had a little trouble getting it back. 3 hours later I'd heard 1 gobbler, that was it, I tried to pull bow back again, I just could not do it. Tried several times, no good. I only shoot 62#, first time I couldn't pull it. So I just packed up, went home, then went to archery shop and had it set down to 50#. I believe I done something to my shoulder the 1st pull. Hope to try again Thur. or Friday. Bob

18-Apr-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I just want to remind everyone to watch where you set up or set a blind. Ash’s are all dying and a big dead limb could fall and be deadly if it hits you. Be safe!

18-Apr-18
I wish bowsite would fix their picture glitch. It won’t let me rotate it

19-Apr-18
Thanks for the message Greg , they are falling all over my place .

23-Apr-18
Finally kilt one today. I used a blind though.

24-Apr-18
There is nothing wrong with using a blind.

24-Apr-18
I have too. I am getting to old to consistently get draw on those things without one. LOL

24-Apr-18

oldlongdraw's embedded Photo
oldlongdraw's embedded Photo
9 1/2" beard, 1" spurs. 12 yd shot from blind.

24-Apr-18
I wouldn't dare archery hunt turkeys without a blind. I never could seem to not get busted.

Finally killed one Monday. He never gobbled. He just came into my calls silently. I won't be able to hunt again till this weekend, but I'm just not hearing the gobbles this year.

24-Apr-18
I went yesterday morning (only the second time I've been out) and a beautiful morning it was. Heard two toms gobble on the roost and called a little. They came into the field and headed straight for my decoys. I missed the dominant one clean at 12 yards--bummer.

He moved off and the lesser one circled the decoys. I missed him clean at about 15 yards. Double bummer. :^(

24-Apr-18
Man Jimmy. I have been there. Did that last spring. It is fun though.

24-Apr-18
Congratulations Babyspaph, & oldlongdraw

26-Apr-18

Fnshtr's embedded Photo
30 yards was as close as I could get him. Max range for me is 20. Maybe next time.
Fnshtr's embedded Photo
30 yards was as close as I could get him. Max range for me is 20. Maybe next time.

26-Apr-18
Oh yeah, nice birds y’all.

26-Apr-18

26-Apr-18

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Hey Guys, I been following this Thread when Im home. Congrats to everyone that Killed gobblers ! I hate to even talk about loosing a gobbler but I shot 1 last week, 2 be honest I dont know how he got away from me ! Course Im crippled up and as I was chasing him I fell, never could get back on him. I also Missed a gobbler at 15 yards, shot into and through my blind ! Ouch !! This gobbler would come and check things out and strut after that at about 25 yards, he did this 2 different days , Ive enclosed pic of him. I then set another pop-up closer to where he was coming, today that 25 yard shot became 15 and I cleaned his clock ! I dont weigh them and never have but hes the largest gobbler Ive ever killed bow or gun, he did have 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 spurs.

26-Apr-18

26-Apr-18
That’s a dandy for sure Ron! Congrats. Your season sounds real exciting.

27-Apr-18
Way to go guys, I shot clear through one the first week on Wed. And he insulted me by going out in the field and strutting. Guess I shot him a little low . Keeping at it , takes a lot to discourage me.

27-Apr-18
Congrats Ron. Hang in there Hookman. It will happen

28-Apr-18
Congrats guys!

28-Apr-18

Fnshtr's embedded Photo
Fnshtr's embedded Photo
Got a 10 yard shot this morning. Unfortunately I also got a deflection! Doggone Multifloral rose! Wonderful morning sighting several hens an d watching these two gobblers sparring before getting my shot. No blind today.

29-Apr-18

My 2nd Gobbler, only a Jake but called an Adult and 2 Jakes, they didn’t like the decoys and would leave and put, I’d call softly with a Pot Call from Lonnie’s Daddy , they would come and the longbeard would gobble 8-10 times at 10 yards but to far to my right, finally the adult bird took off and the smaller of the 2 Jakes gave me a walking shot at about 18 yards, That big Rage Turkey sheared his wing off as it entered, he ran 20 yards and lay down done !

29-Apr-18

29-Apr-18

29-Apr-18
Good job Ron. Sure glad turkeys don't have the sense of smell.

29-Apr-18
Don, Don’t borrow any Dental Floss offn Lonnie !! Haha

30-Apr-18
Nice Ron. Congrats

30-Apr-18
Thanks Guys ! Turkeys are Tuff !!

30-Apr-18
Yes, they are. I'm 0 for 3. :^(

Congratulations, Ron. Now get one in for the big guy.

30-Apr-18
Had 3 gobblers come off roost this morning and went straight up on a flat in the middle of a big field and started strutting. Of course a hen was with them. This morning I placed a hen decoy out in the open where they could see it and started calling to them. The hen with them became agitated and was calling like mad. She started toward me with the toms in tow. She came right up to my decoy and started fanning like a gobbler with the boys coming right in. All at once here came another hen going right to the gobblers and pulled them back up through the field to their hangout. That was close but no blood drawn.

30-Apr-18
Ron, is that a specific turkey expandable?

30-Apr-18
Greg, yea it’s a Rage Extreme Turkey ! The Extreme is 2.3 inch and it has some reversed hooks on it to keep the Broadhead from going all the way through ! I also took a small file and cut the slots in the back of the blade that’s on the front so it wouldnt pull out so easily ! The Broadhead went to the off side and the bounced back out ! The wing and arrow were laying where I hit the Gobbler , I thought I Just Blunted Him ! When I got out of the blind I could see the Gobbler 20 yards or so dead ! When I cleaned the Gobbler you could see blood on the outside of the offside of the body , no hole though, also in the entrance hole where arrow came out there was lungs, ( my momma calls them lites) in the hole ! I’m glad I filed those notches !!

30-Apr-18
Greg, I get carried away, Sorry, Yes a a Turkey Specific Broadhead !!

30-Apr-18
Jimmy, Ive called a couple times, no response and no return calls.

01-May-18
Congrats Ron, on another trophy. Jakes are definitely trophy’s with a bow!

01-May-18
Thanks Fnshtr

02-May-18
Congrats Ron. I've noticed that with spring gobblers, sometimes you call and call and there is no response or return calls... Maybe they have that spam call blocker installed or caller ID and know who's calling...

02-May-18
Thanks Ron, I enjoyed the long explanation

03-May-18
:>)

03-May-18

Fnshtr's embedded Photo
Fnshtr's embedded Photo
19 lbs. 8 oz., 9 1/2” beard.

03-May-18
Way to go Wayne!

03-May-18
Congrats Wayne

04-May-18
Saw some pults this am.

05-May-18
Strange season! I seen a group of 7 long beards together last evening. Hens flew up to roost late last week. The bird I killed Thursday was with another mature Tom and they were following a Jake that was led by a hen. ????????????

Good luck guys!

05-May-18
Congratulations, Wayne. I knew you were going to nail one.

05-May-18
Congratulations

05-May-18
Thanks guys.

05-May-18
Congrats !! Love / Hate those turkeys !!

05-May-18
Word on the street is you have a love/hate relationship with dental floss too.

:^)

06-May-18
Dang, I get No Respect !!

11-May-18

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
They finally showed up! Awesome morning in the woods - called this big boy in to 10 yards and his 2 younger brothers to about 5 yards! Glad their attention was on the decoys!

11-May-18
Congrats! That is awesome!

11-May-18
Congratulations to everyone on nice birds.

12-May-18
congrats to everyone that was successful this year. I bombed out this time but had a great season anyway. Called in more birds to close range than ever before but couldn't hit my spot. Blame it on being too close. Lol

12-May-18
Nice JayD. I like that bow. Congrats

13-May-18
I am loving this bow! Thanks JR!

• Sitka Gear