jdrdeerslayer 23-Apr-18
17-Apr-18

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
So I got a baby kitten for my daughter last year. I waited till early spring to let her out to become an indoor/outdoor cat. Well she's been missing for over three weeks. Yesterday I went looking for her and found the last remains of her at the edge of the woods. My daughter is devastated... damn yotes.. 5ft from my back porch.. and people wonder why any opportunity to take one I do..

17-Apr-18
Shawn, so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat! I know how attached we all are to our animals. Also, you daughter is so cute!!! She must look just like your wife ;) Get her another kitten, I know there are many shelters that have them and they need homes.

Good luck!!

17-Apr-18
Thanks bbb.. we're looking into a shelter cat.. or a cat that needs rehoming.

17-Apr-18
That stinks. I feel bad for your daughter in particular, we all become attached to our pets, they are family members... But it's tough for a kid to learn a lesson like that. Bob has a good point.

17-Apr-18
Sorry about your daughter's cats Shawn, it sucks to lose a pet, and it's particularly tough on kids. Maybe she'd like a puppy next time, (one that will grow up big enough to put a scare into those damn yotes).

17-Apr-18
I second what ACE said.

Last fall I was at my brother's at the edge of the woods. His cat is running at full speed towards the road with 2 coyotes on his ass. They caught up to his cat right in front of us but on the other side of the fence and heavy brush. We hear them crash into the brush and we started yelling and throwing sticks in their direction. Coyotes took off running in the other direction and about 2 minutes later his cat comes out sporting a new hair stile reminiscing of Billy Idol.

My brother says his cat no longer wonders in the woods.

17-Apr-18
Sorry to hear that. I lost 2 to those dam yotes!!!

17-Apr-18
Certainly a bummer, but thats nature.

I dont think anyone condemns taking coyotes anytime.

I think the only time Ive willingly not shot one was during the rut and my chances were (perceived by me) to be good. Turkey hunting Ive had too many come in to calls, I feel that toms have become much less vocal on the ground these days as a result.

Good luck getting a new pet, hopefully your daughter will understand but it sure isnt easy.

17-Apr-18
Sorry to hear

17-Apr-18
Some 30yrs ago when my parents moved from bridgeport to monroe they took the cat with them..it was a nasty street fighter, part Garfield part mental case..ive seen it take on german shepards..about a year later it was missing,then cat missing posters started showing up all over..they live by a big tree farm with water co all around so it couldve been yotes...i think it was the chinese place on rt 111 that got pinned with skinned cats..

My pops used to let the cat sleep on his head when he was watching tv..damndest thing..i used to ask him if he was davey croketts italian brother enzo ..he would laugh...i miss them both

Kids are tough bud but it still sucks!!

Bet you thought i was gonna throw in a story about an old girl friend that had a nice cat that purr when petted just right..apparently it purred for a lot of other guys..eh C'est La Vie...why do i feel like breaking out in doris day?

17-Apr-18
So sorry shawn...we need to kill all the yotes

17-Apr-18
Sorry to hear that Shawn. I know I’ve been out checking one of my turkey spots maybe 5 times in the last two weeks and out of those 5 times I’ve seen coyotes out in the middle of the day 4 times out of those 5. My trail cams are full of them also

17-Apr-18

longbeard's embedded Photo
Here are a couple of those pet killers

17-Apr-18

And another

17-Apr-18
Check out this fox trying to get a turkey dinner

17-Apr-18

18-Apr-18
Sorry Shawn

18-Apr-18
Get another cat and do not let it outside.

18-Apr-18
8:20. Yes, Wilbur had the perfect solution. Outdoor cats are part of nature. Not only do they kill billions of native rodents and songbirds annually, but they too are part of the food chain. Don't want yotes to eat your cat? Keep the cat inside. Problem solved.

18-Apr-18
Sucks for the child, but I've always been of the opinion, an outdoor cat is a target of opportunity, for both man and beast. For the exact reasons Dr. Williams stated, and they become a nuisance to the neighbors. Get another kitten, declaw it when old enough and keep it indoors.

18-Apr-18
I love the feral cat that lives near my shed. That little bugger catches more mice and chipmunks than I can count. I also have a redtail hawk that picks up a squirrel or two at my bird feeder. Great fun to watch them both.

18-Apr-18
" Not only do they kill billions of native rodents and songbirds annually"

Forgive us if we take your counting skills with a grain of salt.

18-Apr-18

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo

Dr. Williams's Link
1513. The red tail is part of the natural ecosystem. The feral cat is not.

Ace, don't take my word, check my citation.

18-Apr-18

Dr. Williams's Link

18-Apr-18
Doc I should be able to keep my cat outside in a residential area without a yote taking it. It's not me letting my cat out that's the problem it's an over population of coyotes in my area that's the problem. And not that I think there is anything wrong with having an indoor cat but I've never had just an indoor cat and don't plan to. How does my daughters cat being taken by a coyote end up turning into another doc counting seminar..

18-Apr-18
If you choose to leave your daughter's cat outside, you should be prepared to lose it to native predators or vehicles. There's an easy solution to avoid that heartbreak. This was your choice. Coyotes are just doing their thing, residential area or not.

18-Apr-18
How does a coyote catch a cat anyways? Is must be the element of surprise because cats are freaking fast.

19-Apr-18
Reality sucks

19-Apr-18
Crazy

19-Apr-18
That's a real western coyote with no wolf genetics.

19-Apr-18
I think it was lack of experience in the outdoors is what got her. We had just started letting her go outside and this was probably only her third time outside. I've never had a problem with letting a cat outside and it returning.. to be honest I'm not even a cat fan but my daughter is.

19-Apr-18
Outdoor cats are bad, indoor cats are good.

Keep your cat inside and your daughter will be happy, your life will be easier.

One less source of drama.

19-Apr-18
sorry to hear about your cat. i have been letting my chickens free range once in a while for a few years without a problem, but the other day some predator took one. found a trail of feathers leading deep into the woods past my property. it sucks because we love watching them roam free.

19-Apr-18
that sucks so sad for your daughter

19-Apr-18
HolePuncher I lost 17 quail to a damn coon. Honestly Id be more worried about a car then a yote getting a cat. Cant blame the yote it aint like they can walk around and say nope thats a pet.

19-Apr-18
I don't blame the coyote I blame the town of groton for having a severe overpopulation and doing nothing to control them. Or it might be the state of CT?? When there running down main street in broad daylight I think there might be a problem..

19-Apr-18
Should town employees be shooting them on Main Street in broad daylight? DEEP has opened hunting season on them from 1 January through 31 December with no season or daily take limit. There is also a 5 month trapping season on them with no limit. Maybe Groton should spend taxpayer money to have WB control coyotes. Would that be acceptable?

19-Apr-18
No... open town land to kill them.. hunters....solved.. this is exactly why your totally disliked on this site.. not only are you not a bow hunter but your an ass to.. Sry guys it had to be said!

19-Apr-18
If their is one thing guaranteed in life it is that coyotes will never be controlled. I thought I was gonna be some bad ass coyote calling machine boy was I wrong!

19-Apr-18
Not controlled but managed spike

19-Apr-18
Shawn, if you want them controlled, by all means, get out there and do your part. Doc gives you facts and HE'S the ass? It sucks about your pet, but you're sounding like a snowflake wanting everyone else to solve the problem. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't wait to see the coyote Carnage (like Pat's). Get out there and kill some dogs.

19-Apr-18
Coyotes migrated out of the west despite poisoning, trapping, shooting, gassing efforts, migrated north through Canada, bred with wolves, invaded the Northeast, and despite all the persecution, successfully colonized the lower 48 and southern Canada. There is no limit on their take and no closed season in CT. One kills the cat you let outside, you blame the City of Groton and the State of CT and your solution to solving the problem is for the City to permit guys to wing them on public land and you're calling me an ass? You are quite naive and the only one to blame about the death of your cat is you. But, as a Groton taxpayer, you should approach staff and see how receptive they would be to opening municipal lands to coyote hunting.... I'm guessing it will be a no and they'll tell you to keep your cat inside if you don't want it dead.

20-Apr-18
Nah he's right ... you're an ass.

20-Apr-18
0643. Good one Ace. Too bad you couldn't come up with something that witty on your own.

20-Apr-18
11:52 am and Doc is still on the bow site instead of working. How many friggen breaks do state employees get? As a someone who pays state sales tax, income tax, amusement tax, social security tax, capital gains tax, sin taxes, etc I find it appalling that the CAES allows this conduct. And his conduct doesn't present a good image for the CAES either.

20-Apr-18
12:10 - Sent an email to Ted about my last post. Be curious to see how he responds. Doc knows who I'm talking about, right Doc?

20-Apr-18
1241. Bob, if you're threatening to email my superiors, knock yourself out. Glen and Rooster have been doing it for years. Why do you think I time stamp my posts? While you're at it, you should send Jody and Tony emails too.

20-Apr-18

1254. Thanks Bob. Classy.

And it's Dr. Andreadis, not Mr.

20-Apr-18
Wow Bob, dick move there. As I recall Bob has posted numerous times on the clock. Kinda hypocritical no?

20-Apr-18

20-Apr-18

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
You guys need to lighten up. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. We all like to intercourse the canine and pursue Bowsite during work hours. Why in Gods name would you try to blow up another man with an email to his superior?

As for Coyotes there is no way in hell that anyone is going to reduce their numbers by hunting them. Studies have shown that the more you shoot the more they breed. Trapping is the only way to make a dent in the population. That would be trapping full time by a seasoned professional that knows the game.

Yotes are here to stay and it's only going to get worse. Add bobcats, & bears oh my and fluffy doesn't stand a chance outside.

If you and your family love your cat keep it inside where it is safe.

20-Apr-18
S*** just got real! Lol

20-Apr-18
Thats funny I just noticed Bobs Email address. Stanley Black & Decker inc.com. Nice Bob.

20-Apr-18

1640. For the record, not posting on the clock, that's why I time stamp my posts during the day.

20-Apr-18
I tried, but I guess the director has handled this problem before :( I guess it's back to harassing Doc on the site.

Spike - My current email address is Stanley only because I have a Stanley computer. I work for a temp agency since I retired, not Stanley and I can work any hours I chose. And yes, I did post to this site when I was a full time, salaried employee but only during personal time, much like Scott. The difference is taxpayers didn't pay my salary, a private business did. So if you're ok with Doc posting on the taxpayer's dime during 6.5 hour day then you should have not problem with me doing it either while I worked 10-12 hour days and weekends ( no OT pay, straight salary )

No, it's NOT Doctor, it's Mr unless you're going to operate on me. What do you think the odds are of that happening? :)

Scott - Why did I contact the CAES director? Because in my opinion government employees should be working, not surfing the web during work hours, even if you do only hour 6.5 hours. If the CAES director is ok with the way you represent his dept, well, all I can say is that's his problem. I find it offensive to have a government employee who doesn't bow hunt on this site talking to hunters as though he's the last word in game management and the only one with intelligent thought or opinion.

And to have someone working just 6-1/2 hour days in this day and age is simply amazing to me. Government employees wonder why those of us in the private sector have such a problem with your pay and benefits on our dime. I also find it quite disappointing that the director didn't find the need to respond to me directly, but rather just forward my email to you (sounds like I'm not the first to complain about you) and that just reinforces that our government officials could care less about the people that pay their wages.

I had to laugh when I read the part you said you take my concerns seriously!!! But I understand you have your director copied so that's your attempt at being civil.

20-Apr-18
just thinking this feud is getting a bit out of hand, agree or disagree with views. No need to escalate this war of words, I think this latest move was not necessary. Just my thoughts.

20-Apr-18
deerstalker and all - I'm done.

Bye

20-Apr-18
Do you represent Stanley Tools when you post here on your free time from their computer using their email address? Obviously not. So why in your mind do I represent my employer when I post from my couch after dinner on a Thursday while watching a hockey game? Or right now at 1806 hours on a Friday? You just showed your true colors Bob, and it backfired, again.

Bye Bob. Don't go away mad, just go away.

20-Apr-18
Bob, I guess after seeing day in and day out all these losers sucking off the government teat and walking around in pjs all day that are perfectly capable of working but living off my tax dollars a govt employee posting a few emails is about the least of my cares.

20-Apr-18
WTF?!?! I thought this thread was about the loss of Shawn's pet, not a soapbox. Shawn - sorry for your loss. Pets become like part of the family and it is never easy to see one go, no matter how. Hope your kids are handling things as well as can be expected. My sister had an indoor/outdoor cat that went missing a number of years ago. They put up signs around the neighborhood, checked the shelters, etc., to no avail. Days, weeks and then months went by. She and her kids eventually got over it. Fast forward about 4-5 years. My sister attends a Christmas party at a neighbors house about 4 doors down the road. Between shots of egg nog and make-out sessions under the mistletoe who should come sauntering across the living room, but her long lost cat, Mr. Phipps (or some funny name like that). My sister asked the neighbor about the cat and the neighbor said she found it as a "stray" about 4 or 5 years earlier. She took it in, fed it a little more than it should be entitled to and kept it as an indoor cat. The cat was living like a king and seemed happy so my sister didn't say anything to the neighbor other than how lucky the cat must be to have found such a good home. I know this is a different outcome than your experience, but I thought the story might cheer you up.

20-Apr-18
...That someone would take this site so seriously as to send an email like that to someones employer. All I can do is shake my head.

20-Apr-18

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
DeerDan 's embedded Photo
This one left me pogie faced!

20-Apr-18
So Sorry Shawn get a New One straight Away!!!!!!!!

20-Apr-18
N8tureboy thanks bud.. my wife did decide on getting a cat.. we decided instead of a kitten we would get an older that most would not adopt. Yes Brian he is an ass. And I'm not the only one thinking it... everyone else to solve my problem?giving me the facts?? I sound like a snowflake?? Please tell me where your reading this..LMAO!!. you must of recently joined the tick counting no one likes me team..

20-Apr-18
Did you ask town officials in Groton about opening municipal lands to coyote hunting yet? If not you, who else is going to solve this problem?

20-Apr-18
Well definitely not you, not being a bow hunter.. not that it matters to you but actually I've sent multiple letters to the town about the problem with no response. Do I think they will give me permission to hunt there land.. no way.. it's an uphill battle with no end in sight... just so you know..right, like I said hunters can solve the problem but we need the permission to do so..

20-Apr-18
There's lots of private land in Groton. So you still think hunters can solve the problem only if they had access to Town lands? Despite no closed season and no limit on take statewide? I know you are new to this game, but come on man. Just leave your cat inside next time, or be prepared to explain what happened to your daughter again.

20-Apr-18
Shawn it sounds like a great way to get good deer land by asking for permission to coyote hunt. I dind even the liberals despise coyotes due to killing pets.

20-Apr-18
Spike that's what my goal is.. I can't get a response. I've called the town office but they have no idea where to direct me.

20-Apr-18
Private land a lot don't have access to.. if you open up town land yes it would help tremendously. I'm done arguing with you doc. I can't take your numbers, bullshit, and awful point of views anymore.. you are not welcome on this site as multiple people have stated before so do us all a favor and go back to tick counting..everything I've ever heard about you is true and you just prove it with each post.. disliked then and disliked now..

20-Apr-18
Do you mean you don't like hearing reality? Like hunters are not going to control coyotes anytime soon, even with town lands? If they can control them, why haven't they done so yet anywhere in the US? What makes you think they can in Groton of all places?

20-Apr-18

freeglee's embedded Photo
freeglee's embedded Photo
Get a New One do Not Delay!!!!!!

21-Apr-18
Yeah Shawn, the facts. The facts are that cats kill tons of critters. Coyotes kill tons of cats. Keeping your little girl's pet inside would have saved it, it's responsible pet ownership. Whining about to many coyotes and the town properties? We all know that there are too many friggin dogs and lots of properties, town, state and private that they will always survive on. How many coyotes have you killed? Go kill some. And my guess about who to ask town property wise, would be your mayor or first selectman. They may have to vote on it in a meeting maybe, but that's where I would start.

21-Apr-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/OuaGCKgLImQ

21-Apr-18
ive had sevral cats go missing over the years....all suspect coyotes. every winter i do all out war on coyotes in my deer hunting area. this year i managed to get lead into 11 of them. ill never get rid of them but i feel as tho i atleast give the fawns a fighting chance....or help

21-Apr-18
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm after the fisher cat behind my house. Seen him 3 times. Set a have a heart trap last night and caught a coon overnight. He was pissed, I'm not looking forward to releasing that devil weasel if I get him. Rebaited the trap with a hunk of bambi and now we wait.....

21-Apr-18
They run literally inches from my porch.. I've shot at three and hit one good.. I don't have permission to hunt the problem yotes in my area. Only on this property which new owners took over so now I have to get permission from them. I would gladly do my part of given the chance.. open up all town land for a month of coyote hunting.. IDK..

21-Apr-18

Tall1, I wouldn't broadcast you're targeting fishers. Season closed Dec 31st.

Oh I get that you're going to relocate it now. Wouldn't broadcast that either.

21-Apr-18
jdrdeerslayer - If your goal is to help fawn survival best bet is to create more cover for them so the fawns can hide from the bobcats, bears and coyotes. If you are on private land, hinge cut some trees, etc. Coyotes are nomadic. The one you shoot today may have been in NY, RI, CT or MA a few days earlier. And one in NY this week might be in your yard next week. They also respond to hunting stress by producing larger litters. The only way shooting/trapping coyotes will have any meaningful impact on fawn survival is to do so in May, just before the deer drop their fawns, and before new coyotes have a chance to move back in to the vacated territory.

21-Apr-18
Tall1 keep the fisher info to yourself or else Bob may tattle on you lol. Had to!

21-Apr-18
I thought it was a fisher cat... I now realize it's just a feral black cat. Lol Can you attempt to trap and relocate feral cats? Is using a have a heart trap considered trapping? People don't need to take the trapping certification to use have a heart live traps. I'm confused. Enlighten me Dr. Williams.

22-Apr-18
Years ago I had a skunk that took up residence under my porch. I called the state for law clarification. They told me I could Hava-a-heart trap the skunk on my property, make the necessary repairs to my porch, and then release the skunk back on my property. Not sure if that is still the law.

22-Apr-18
Skunks, foxes, and raccoons are rabies vector species (but all mammals can carry rabies.) If rabies vector species are trapped on your property by a NWCO, they can be released elsewhere on the property or euthanized. Transporting and relocating them is illegal. Feral cats do not have a season on them as they are not a game species.

22-Apr-18
Cats fall under the Dept of Agriculture. For what good it does, you can't relocate (i.e. dump or abandon) them and you can't legally destroy them. You can however, bring them to a shelter....for Shawn to pick up and bring home. LOL, Jk Shawn. If you did illegally kill or abandon it, it may just put you in a situation that Shawn is in, a family pet goes missing.

As far as wildlife goes, homeowner's can protect their property on their own, you don't have to call a nwco. But, like Doc says, we as nwco's have to destroy all rabies vector species once they are removed from your site. You can shoot them yourself though as long as all other firearm laws are followed, blah, blah, blah. (note: some species are still protected and probably wouldn't fall under those rules, i.e. bobcats, fishers, black bears, etc. )

22-Apr-18
Same in MA. Catch and kill or release on site.

22-Apr-18
Thanks guys.

23-Apr-18
way i fugure it the coyotes i kill every winter is one less around in spring.....that being said now that our season is closed. i pulled my bait cam today and there is still a bunch around. bummer

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear