Missouribreaks 29-Apr-18
CaptMike 29-Apr-18
rallison 30-Apr-18
SteveD 30-Apr-18
CaptMike 30-Apr-18
RutnStrut 30-Apr-18
Missouribreaks 30-Apr-18
19-Apr-18
Wisconsin licensed bow hunters has dropped from over 250,000 to just over 150,000 in the last four years . I was reading this in the latest "The Bowhunter" spring 2018 edition from the WBH. This surprised me .

19-Apr-18
Just wait another four years!

19-Apr-18
Where is everyone ? Where did they go ?

19-Apr-18
Look at the Michigan forum after even longer with the crossbow, it is virtually dead as few bowhunters left in that state. Same thing going on here, lots of closet scoped crossbow users and enablers.

Bowhunting clubs such as the P&Y have a tough road ahead, nearly impossible as more and more give up bowhunting for the crossbow.

19-Apr-18
Its said that clubs are failing too. Do the clubs allow x bows at shoots now?

19-Apr-18
That would be cool, with variable scopes and a rest could have some shot stakes at 150 yards.

19-Apr-18
I was at a CDAC meeting tonight, for another county, was interested in their deer perspective,,,,, only one other guy there,,,,, no interest I guess, in deer hunting, season structure etc,,,,,, bow hunting is also hanging on I guess

19-Apr-18
Yes, this is true. Bowhunter ranks have been reduced significantly due to hunters discarding the bow and going to crossbows. Too many fellows are taking the easy way out. Clubs and other bowhunter organizations are seeing reductions in membership rolls in virtually all states where crossbows have been allowed. Membership renewals are down across the board.

For bowhunters, there is strength in numbers. Unfortunately, in WI the true bowhunters have not been able to band together and work for the common cause, i.e., promoting their passion, retaining those currently involved, and recruiting new advocates to their ranks.

We (the vertical bowhunters) need to work together and support our sport in our community, on-line, and in the workplace. A positive approach is best, promoting bowhunting can happen in a million ways. Join your local club, and the WTA & WBH.

19-Apr-18
The crossbow will be the demise of archery hunting.

20-Apr-18
You guys are finally coming around to thinking somewhat my way........ and backing up my years long predictions. Comptons is another good one to join, IMO. It is much easier to take a positive approach once reality is recognized, glad some hunters are starting to face it.

20-Apr-18
MO, I agree with you, I am just not willing to give up.

20-Apr-18
You and casekiska do a nice job.

20-Apr-18
Missouri breaks check your private messages.Thanks

20-Apr-18
The average crossbow user is just over 50 in most states. The average compound user is just over 30 in most states. In states that have allowed crossbows for a long time, the breakdown usually ends up around 60% crossbow users, 40% others.

One of the biggest issues we face is the lack of younger hunters joining our ranks to offset the losses from older hunters leaving. As much as some of you hate to think about it or admit it, most very young hunters that start with crossbows switch to vertical bows in their mid to late teens.

20-Apr-18
"In states that have allowed crossbows for a long time, the breakdown usually ends up around 60% crossbow users, 40% others." How many of those states are 1 buck states? How many of those states allow the use of a crossbow under an archery license?

"As much as some of you hate to think about it or admit it, most very young hunters that start with crossbows switch to vertical bows in their mid to late teens." Sounds wonderful! Without statistics to back that up, it is nothing more than agenda driven lip service.

20-Apr-18
"Without statistics......driven lip service." WOW! Truer words were never spoken.

20-Apr-18
Ohio has some good data on young hunters that begin with crossbows. It was discussed at length during the Pennsylvania crossbow wars. Every hunter, except one, that I introduced to crossbows at a young age switched to vertical equipment when they reached their mid teens. One has even made to switch further to traditional gear.

20-Apr-18
Many of my friends have bows in their closets collecting dust. Seems like most of them were into it in the late 90s early 00's. A few have talked about picking up a xbow.

20-Apr-18
“Sounds wonderful! Without statistics to back that up, it is nothing more than agenda driven lip service.”

Sounds just like 100% if your post’s on the various crossbow threads. Still waiting for you to provide statistics rather than “lip service”

20-Apr-18
DT, when you learn to read you will be enlightened. Check out my tip to DPMS regards squiggly lines on graphs. Sorry I can't do it in crayon for you.

20-Apr-18

dpms's embedded Photo
dpms's embedded Photo
Here is one graph from Ohio on shot distances and hits with both compound and crossbow. Look like pretty similar shot selections and hit rates according to the squiggly lines. Majority of shots with both weapons under 30 yards.

20-Apr-18

dpms's embedded Photo
dpms's embedded Photo
Here it is broken down some more. Pretty darn similar with the real differences being between traditional and the rest.

20-Apr-18
Yawn, more lip. Those graphs are what I provided to the forum from the DNR back in March. Your whole argument of success rates encompasses just one small segment of deer management.

20-Apr-18
Droptine said ; "Your whole argument of success rates encompasses just one small segment of deer management."

Yes, and so does the argument that crossbows are vastly "superior" to others bows, even more than rifles, that is often floated around here which is one of the reasons cited to scale back the season.

20-Apr-18
30% wounding rate for traditionalists? Give me a break! In close to 40 years, many having killed multiple deer, I can count between the fingers of one hand the number of deer I've wounded and lost. What a fricking joke!!!

20-Apr-18
I have shot a trad bow for a very long time 30 percent is pure BS

20-Apr-18
Dpms, if the success rate is greater than rifle. Why is the traditional rifle season only nine days? What would it be if given a month let alone the 5 months that archery has.

20-Apr-18
I thought that percentage was a joke also. 2 seasons so far with trad for me. 4 shots, 3 deer, one miss.

20-Apr-18
DPMS I dont give a rip about Ohio, MI or any other state except Wisconsin. Please stop coming to this site.

20-Apr-18
Droptine said; "Dpms, if the success rate is greater than rifle. Why is the traditional rifle season only nine days? What would it be if given a month let alone the 5 months that archery has."

If firearms hunters in your state had 5 months to get it done, I suspect their success rates would be very, very high. As they would in most any state.

20-Apr-18
"LTLjimbow ; Wisconsin licensed bow hunters has dropped from over 250,000 to just over 150,000 in the last four years . I was reading this in the latest "The Bowhunter" spring 2018 edition from the WBH. This surprised me "

Are we to assume the 250,000 figure is from the year 2013 archery licenses sales?. Would be interesting where that number materializes from? According the the very recent graph and chart presented by Greg Kazmeirski during the April 11th Natural Resources board meeting, the number of archery licenses for 2013 was 219,842. The following year 2014 ( first year of crossbow licenses ) the number was 161,991. The reason for the majority of the loss was due to the fact that in 2013 there was by DNR estimates approx. 40,000 people already using crossbows (disabled and over 65 age). In 2014, those people were under crossbow license sales.

20-Apr-18
Google the title: Wisconsin Deer Harvest and Hunters 1966-2015. This is from the DNR website and is an official DNR publication.

The numbers are different than what is quoted above.

20-Apr-18
I have that report also. Actually mine is up to 2016. That shows "archery license" for 2013 - 266,380, 2016 - 229,880. However those numbers include patrons licenses and upgrades. Not 100% solely archery license. So no matter what numbers are being used, back to my previous post, The reason for the majority of the loss was due to the fact that in 2013 there was by DNR estimates approx. 40,000 people already using crossbows (disabled and over 65 age). In 2014, those people were under crossbow license sales.

21-Apr-18
"One of the biggest issues we face is the lack of younger hunters joining our ranks to offset the losses from older hunters leaving"

Once again I will tell you. WI didn't have that problem, we were actually gaining young hunters with real bows. Now you will do the liberal thing and say something like, you didn't mean WI. Well guess what snowflake, this is a WI forum.

21-Apr-18
RutnStrut said; "Once again I will tell you. WI didn't have that problem, we were actually gaining young hunters with real bows. Now you will do the liberal thing and say something like, you didn't mean WI. Well guess what snowflake, this is a WI forum."

Actually the liberal thing to do is not digest what I actually said, due to underlying bias, then lash out with a attack that is off base. The post you are referring to started out with me saying "The average crossbow user is just over 50 in most states. The average compound user is just over 30 in most states. In states that have allowed crossbows for a long time, the breakdown usually ends up around 60% crossbow users, 40% others."

I was clearly referring to national trends when I then said our challenge is "the lack of younger hunters joining our ranks to offset the losses from older hunters leaving." Whether one wants to admit it or not, that is why hunters numbers are rapidly decreasing in this country. Focusing on our youth, and opportunities that exist to get our youth into the outdoors as soon as possible, will be the key to slowing this national crisis. Instead we have hunters fighting each other over Sunday hunting, decreasing minimum ages to hunt, youth seasons, and crossbows. All of which would help the cause in their own ways.

21-Apr-18

dpms's Link
Found this interesting piece with lots of Wisconsin specific info. It appears the sport of hunting is in trouble in your state to as it is most everywhere else.

23-Apr-18
What do you teach a kid when the only way he's willing to participate is if he can do this the EASIEST way possible? If that's the type kid you're lamenting about then I say who needs 'em in the first place! But, what do you expect from a generation that got 15 strikes at the plate and a participation award just for showing up..

23-Apr-18
I totally agree with South Farm. Today's hunting society and culture was created, not born.

24-Apr-18
I've bowhunted very little in WI since I started going to SD 8 years ago. More deer, less pressure. Last year was the 1st year I've bowhunted here in about 5 years. Before I started going out West, I'd be up North every weekend in Oct & Nov, plus a full week in Nov.

24-Apr-18

oldhunter's Link
CANCEL

24-Apr-18

rallison's embedded Photo
rallison's embedded Photo
South Farm...I'm one of the lucky dads. My son's been an avid bowhunter since he started at 12 to date...he's now 30.

And, a couple years ago he wanted to follow the old man into trad archery. That requires considerable effort to become proficient, which he did and is. He's hooked now, and got a custom longbow last summer after hunting with my old Black Widow MAII. He's taken 2 bucks and a doe to date.

He's starting his son now. A lot of fun.

28-Apr-18
Regardless of your weapon choice, there's other factors such as hunting land permission. When I first started 36yrs ago it was pretty easy to gain permission to bow hunt anywhere at no cost. Nowadays everyone want $1500-$4000 to get hunting permission or a "land lease". Most of your hunters are blue collar boys who love the woods and can't afford to pay that kind of money. Public land is heavily hunted and a lot of guys don't have the hunting respect that use to be around. Expensive equipment is also another factor nowadays. $800 bows and up. Sure there's used ones out there but then there's still all the other issues. Time, work, school, family are all factors as well. You have to work hard to make a living nowadays just to break even. My opinion: it doesn't matter which weapon you choose as long as you are getting a kid, friend, or family member in the woods to enjoy the amazing experience together, build some memories and bonds and keep bow hunting alive. Way too much attention is given on the actual weapon and not the tradition, memories, and bonding. Just an FYI I now have to use a crossbow do to torn tendons in my elbow. Should I have quit because I can't use a compound or traditional bow? HE'LL NO!!! It gets in your blood and when the leaves change color the blood starts pumping I can't NOT be in the woods in the fall. I'd rather be dead. So let's just back to what's important. If it makes anyone feel better, I've had my crossbow for 3-4 years now and haven't harvested a single deer with it, by my choice. I'm very thankful I can use a crossbow, IT KEEPS ME IN THE WOODS with my boys, wife, and friends building unforgettable memories.

28-Apr-18
I've been in the woods since I was 3 years old. I love everything about hunting, and occasionally I get to harvest a big buck. Nothing keeps you living like being in the woods.

28-Apr-18
I've been in the woods since I was 3 years old. I love everything about hunting, and occasionally I get to harvest a big buck. Nothing keeps you living like being in the woods.

29-Apr-18
"Just an FYI I now have to use a crossbow do to torn tendons in my elbow. Should I have quit because I can't use a compound or traditional bow?" You never would have had to quit as the law always allowed for people with disabilities to use a crossbow.

29-Apr-18
Agree with Captain, this thread was never about hunters with physical limitations using a crossbow.

Notice how few posters there really are on this thread? A rapidly declining number of real bowhunters are left in this state, even fewer in Michigan. Many, if not most here, are really closet crossbow supporters, enablers, teachers and users. Two great former bowhunting states have lost their bowhunters in alarming numbers. Too bad for the bowhunting clubs such as P&Y, as real bowhunters lay down their bows for the scoped crossbow, they have no future without serious change and compromise. So yes, it is true!

29-Apr-18
MO, maybe it is just a sign of the times? I get that people have less time to pursue hobbies as life gets hectic but the least they could do is be honest. Admit they have switched to a crossbow because it gets them out hunting with no practice or extra effort. Yes, real archery is declining and most likely will continue to. Really a shame.

30-Apr-18
CaptMike...you posted, in regard to your physical situation, the textbook example of someone who should hit the woods with a crossbow. As we know, that's the way it was for decades, and good on ya, mate for being able to pursue something you enjoy.

But, the open crossbow use is here to stay. While I'm not in favor for it's use by able bodied individuals, it's today's reality.

As for myself, I love my stick bows...always have, always will. I'll be 66 this fall. When I can no longer shoot em, I'll hang it up.

Now, that said, while my displeasure of the present situation is obvious...I don't lose any sleep over it. I'll hunt my way, others can roll their's.

30-Apr-18
I agree with the same sentiments as what Rick stated. When I cannot hunt shoot with recurve/longbow it will be be time to hang it up, and help develop archery skills with the grandchildren when they become ready. Or any other new comer thats interested in "Trad" archery. I used to get "fired up" about the direction archery/bowhunting is going that was just wasted energy, now just do my thing and carry on.

30-Apr-18
Rallison, what I posted was said by another. I was just trying to tell him that under his circumstances, he could have used a crossbow without there being a separate crossbow season. But I do agree with you, it should not be for able-bodied people. For certain people I have no issue with them using one.

30-Apr-18
RamMan, you wouldn't have had to quit before the crossbow for all enactment. Not saying you RamMan. But it's "ironic" how many people have bad shoulders, elbows, and such since crossbows were enabled for all. When you don't have to prove it to get a permit everyone is a Dr.

30-Apr-18
I agree, seems like many with health issues now that crossbows are legal for all. Some I am sure are valid, the rest??.

• Sitka Gear