mrelite 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
mrelite 14-Aug-18
trophyhill 15-Aug-18
priley 16-Aug-18
Pigsticker 17-Aug-18
trophyhill 19-Aug-18
20-Apr-18
I have hunted 16C twice before but was wondering if access roads changed due forest service policy or conditions. Can you still use a 4 wheeler in recovery.

I didn’t draw an elk permit but a young guy that I know did so I will be tagging along.

Also, if you have suggestions on where to find bigger bulls please PM. I would love to put him on something 300 plus.

20-Apr-18
Gila National Forest Travel Manaement Plan google it online and has all the info you need. Note there may be "roads" you have been on that are no longer designated as open.

20-Apr-18
Smarba thanks!

20-Apr-18
Also note that despite being "closed" you are likely to encounter plenty of buffoons driving all manner of vehicles on them with utter disregard.

20-Apr-18
You can download the .kmz file for Google Earth for the roads that are open. Forgot where I found it, but it wasn't too hard to find on Gila Forest website. I haven't looked closely but I'm betting OnXHunt shows it on their system too.

20-Apr-18
Thanks, I will find it. Seems like I am more excited for this guy than I would be for myself.

Called both him and his brothers first turkey and he has been a sponge every since. Can’t wait!

20-Apr-18
Be there for the 2nd archery hunt. We use mules and horses . Will be guiding a girl and her husband. Throw a dart at the map n start there. Carl is right ,so many idiots driving anything that remotely looks like a road!

20-Apr-18
I have been in the unit twice been successful both times but now have to figure road access. May opt for mountains! I love the Gila.

03-Aug-18
Ended up buying a land owner tag so I will have a quiver full of arrows. I see three basic areas. Mountains, grasslands, and brushy canyons. Your thoughts either area?

03-Aug-18
Awesome, man. Good luck. Depending on the time of the season you go they may be in different areas from pressure, or rut activity. Check thick north facing slopes they love bedding on that stuff.

04-Aug-18
Jack thanks, I am hunting the late archery.

05-Aug-18
Hey Split, any chance you take a wrong turn and end up in B just in time for a pack out? :^)

06-Aug-18
Trophy , as usual they'll be with me!!! So you may be in luck haha

07-Aug-18

bowhunter's embedded Photo
bowhunter's embedded Photo

07-Aug-18
BowHunter shoot the one in the back. He'll taste the best, and I'll help you carry him out. Cool pic.

09-Aug-18
I cant wait, thanks for the pic.

12-Aug-18

trophyhill's embedded Photo
Getting green in C

14-Aug-18
Sweet!

14-Aug-18
Sweet!

14-Aug-18
Trophy,were you up in your unit this past weekend?

14-Aug-18

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
Water and food everywhere!

14-Aug-18
Elite I'll send pics Mon. I'm heading up Thursday

14-Aug-18
Split, Your gonna like what you see!! Have a safe trip!

15-Aug-18

Split, yes. With JP. Here's another one in C driving out. Damn cell phone pic. Can hardly see the little waterfall :(

16-Aug-18
looks like operator error from here

17-Aug-18
Great, thanks for the update.

19-Aug-18
All the rain in the Gila should scatter the elk. Look for previous dry holes to hold water but, with the monsoons arriving, sitting water could be a crapshoot, as it is everywhere!

• Sitka Gear