Ice conditions for your bow fishing plan
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Jeff in MN 21-Apr-18
RutnStrut 21-Apr-18
Hoot 22-Apr-18
Jeff in MN 22-Apr-18
21-Apr-18
This is on a clear water lake east of Hayward. Post your observations too.

I took an ice auger out today, 40ish yards from my shore. (I had a 3/4 wetsuit on and wore snowshoes.

4" of hard crusty snow ice mix that supported me fine. Probably would have been good without the snowshoes.

8 inches of slushy water, might be less slush than it seems because of the Ice shavings I was creating.

12 inches of good real ice.

Top is quite white yet. Some areas where the slush may have made it to the top look like grey ice but I did not go to look. One of those areas is exactly where the snowmobile trail was so I am guessing there is ice or very hard packed snow may be all the way to the top there.

21-Apr-18
Well not ice but snow. Wasin the woods in Pierce county today and still had a lot of areas with knee deep snow. In fact got the four wheeler stuck 3 times that I had to winch out. Didn't get near the work done that I wanted because the snow slowed me down.

22-Apr-18
Jeff - I saw guys on Long lake yesterday and it didn't look like much slush there. Last week there was a good 24" of good ice I was told.

22-Apr-18
Hoot, the slush/water here is not on top, it is between the refrozen partially melted snow on top and the original ice below that got pushed down by the weight of snow, or that's my theory anyway. Others have heard similar reports.

• Sitka Gear