ColoBull 05-May-18
Ned 05-May-18
ColoBull 05-May-18
Ned 06-May-18
Surfbow 06-May-18
Adventurewriter 06-May-18
goelk 07-May-18
23-Apr-18
I may have an opportunity to visit Fraser CO in Sept. Wondering if anyone knows the area or has hunted there. Not looking for honey holes, just an overview. It's OTC for elk. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. BC

23-Apr-18
Last time I elk hunted in Grand county, I found elk but with the deadfall from pine beetles I don't think I could have gotten a carcass out. It is really bad all over the county.

23-Apr-18
Check behind the big red barns. I heard elk are really attracted to them. 'Sorry - 'couldn't help myself... Seriously - most Co OTC's are heavily hunted. If you don't have private access, you might want to bring shoulder pads. My son's say's the Grand Lake area appears to be making a comeback from the massive beetle kill that has ravaged much of the state.

24-Apr-18
Hunted this area for many years, you will need a really good 4X4 or ATV to access the good areas for elk, other wise it's a major foot race to any of the other places because anyone can access it with a two wheel drive car, & not many elk either in these easy access areas. Best of luck!

25-Apr-18
Thank you guys.

05-May-18
Man, either you guys are trying to dissuade people from hunting Colorado ( don’t blame you), or you’re being honest about the crowded woods out there. I hope it’s the former. ??

05-May-18
There are noticeably more hunters, but we're still going. I'm just trying to convey that your expectations should be realistic. I'd love to say "sure, come on out, it's all great" but that would be dishonest. Expect to spend some wonderful time in the woods, probably see at least a few other hunters, maybe see some elk, and maybe, just maybe, actually get one. That's the way most of the new NR's we've come across have described it.

05-May-18
It's about your willingness to use your legs. Most hunters won't go the extra mile or two. I see flatlanders every year who are unwilling or physically unable to do that extra needed to get into better country. Just don't be that guy.

I'm 71 years old and still able to give it a go so think preparation and you will do ok.

05-May-18
So true. Mid 60's here. Every year I try to be in shape, but every year I've been in better shape by the end of the season. I'm so glad it's only 3-4000' of elevation gain, rather than 10,000-ish. Climbing over downed timber, especially on a steep slope, is my nemesis.

05-May-18
I got a bad leg out of a snowmobile accident a few years ago and the down timber is too much. So, a first criteria for any area is how much beetle kill is there.

05-May-18
Yeah - Bum knee here. Our old SW Colo "go to" area has been devastated by beetles. On the flip side, there's a lot of new growth, and grass where the canopy used to dominate. It's just increasingly harder for anyone to access. PM'd ya...

05-May-18
this is about my 17th or so DIY elk hunt, only 3rd time to Colorado though. Prefer to spike in and hunt from there. Anyhow, did quite a bit of research on 14, 17,18, 28, and 55. Just didn't realize 18/28 were so close to Boulder until I happen to expand the map LOL. I "think" I've located some possible honey holes away from trailheads/access points but you never know until you put boots on the ground. That's the fun of it if you ask me.

05-May-18
55 went draw only when the Gunnison basin did (along with 54 & 551, I think) . Kind of a bummer for us - we spent 2-3 years getting an area pretty well figured out.

06-May-18
Correction, we've been looking at 53, looks pretty difficult without horses though, especially at our age lol.

06-May-18
Ned, that area is close to the front range, but Boulderites have to go around and drive up I-70 like everyone else...

06-May-18
Ned old school....love it yep spent many years looking at the kind of maps you can hold in your hands and figured out where they might be and strapped on the boots...you start adding up the factors and can get it right almost every time

07-May-18
Shot my very first bull elk in Grand County about 1978 by Ganby Resersvor.

• Sitka Gear