elk yinzer 29-Apr-18
dpms 30-Apr-18
BC173 30-Apr-18
horsethief51 30-Apr-18
Will tell 01-May-18
DaleHajas 01-May-18
Rut Nut 02-May-18
27-Apr-18
As I debate whether to even battle the crowds and go out tomorrow, I wonder why more states don't have them? I know of a couple Midwest states that do, but not sure if any of our neighboring states have one. Has it ever been discussed in PA?

Seems a couple weeks prior to the traditional opener would be very low impact. I am rather ambivalent about turkey hunting, but a bow season would certainly get me out in the woods a lot more. I don't turkey hunt much because I don't take vacation for them and stick to Saturdays, hunt public land. And anywhere I find turkeys I usually find other hunters which with vocal turkeys can turn into a circus real quick.

Specifically talking hand-drawn bows here. Obviously with turkeys's visual acuity even moreso than deer, that is an important distinction versus crossbows. One could probably argue that crossbows are advantageous to a shotgun in some ways.

27-Apr-18
With the long season and the fact we have been allowed to use bows for some time now, I have never heard anyone mention it. Not like we would be putting a dent in the resource. LOL. A guy did once mention a very limited number of spring bear archery only lottery drawing for bear tho.

27-Apr-18
I'm afraid to go turkey hunting nowadays. I used to love it and would usually take a bow. But I know too many folks who've been shot, shot at, cut off, moved in on, stalked, folks shooting at movement, etc. and I've had a few close calls myself. It's like the wild west out there.

27-Apr-18
There are enough Turkeys in here, I don't need to go out looking for more:)

28-Apr-18
LOL! You see one (in the mirror)every morning Roy! ;-)

28-Apr-18
Elk, wake up your dreaming of yesteryear. All bows are created equal now;)

29-Apr-18
I have asked the PGC BOC to consider an archery only( yes and crossbows) season several times now. Was even talking to the late Don Heckman of the PANWTF about it before he passed. A three day season during the week between the youth day and the general opener would have essentially no impact but would allow the folks that like to hunt them with arrows a few days without gun pressure to try to make it happen.

If the second tag had little impact, a short archery only season would have even less.

29-Apr-18
I would certainly like to try to make another push if there are some that would like to do the same.

29-Apr-18
Is it going to take teaming with crossbows to get to "hunt something with arrows"? Is that where we are at now in PA? Nothing against you personally dpms, but I am not a fan of having equivalent season structures for hand drawn bows and crossbows which is an especially relevant distinction when it comes to turkeys. And no debate is going to change my mind so I'd rather it not turn into that. If that is what it would take just to gain a handful of weekdays, I think I would have to politely pass on granting my personal support.

30-Apr-18
Too bad. You wouldn't be teaming with crossbows, you would be teaming with people that hunt in archery seasons that want to work towards getting a couple days to hunt gobblers before the masses. Forget the weapons for a minute. If you are hunting them with a Hoyt, and the guy 5 miles away is hunting them with a TenPoint, both could have a great opportunity with little impact to the resource.

When I was voicing my support I was voicing it for you to have the opportunity as well.

30-Apr-18
Well said elk yinzer!!!

30-Apr-18
Members in the UBP formed an archery bear committee and 23 years later we got archery bear season. A few years later we got them to put it into the regular archery season. Anyone can join the UBP and propose a committee and serve on it. Just one place to start. Idea men are a dime a dozen. Volunteers who serve are a bit more scarce.

01-May-18
You would be better off hunting the week after the season for archery. More greenery and wouldn't hurt the turkey numbers.

01-May-18
I think regulating the crossbow to a 3 day season is great..... For deer.... In February

02-May-18
and during the week! ;-)

• Sitka Gear